Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter forum game or maybenot...

Let me actually DL the save before spouting more nonsense.

Using ADOMbot doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    I was suggesting that every succesful save be altered
    with ADOMbot to prevent excessive scumming.

I was trying to think of ways to address this statement from Lich

" St can be raised to a reasonable level very quickly, and herbs will take care of Dx and To. When the game progresses to that point, it's no different from a normal game, and the unique difficulties of the challenge will be lost."

Trying to find a way to preserve the 'unique difficulties'.
    Just an idea, and I'm definitely not married to it. Like I
    said, I hadn't even DL'd the save and tried it yet.

EDIT: tried it, and used only 3 wishes. Easily leveled to 9
    in BUGWIL on first try, and could have gone much further
    with using all wishes. Still, forget what I said about 1 wish
    per turn, the player clearly NEEDS at least 3, and that's only
    if exploits are used. I tested the AKW option, and it seems
    impossible, even with 5, though if one could combine it
    with BUGWIL leveling...
    Last edited by gut; 01-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I think it's very hard to combine the team element with the minimum stats, since obviously by the second turn the starting position is barely relevant. Perhaps this would be easier if we just stuck to individuals and no teams?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You thought I said 3 to 5 without reason? It is not to be meant mission impossible at least now...

Back to ruling:
    I thought giving some extra bonus to teams:
    why not let each team pick race/class/month this way we could have some differences.

Of course wizzy could wish for Concentration and books and be more or less set so i thought
    [no drakes - this is not spitting contest]
    [no candle - cause it wayy above else]
    [no to wizzards/priests/druids/barbarians/necromancers/elementalists and maybe not class option at all]

Classes would get same starting skills [maybe +1 from race class skill and not listed in first post] but keep class special powers bonuses to HP, to hit, learning spells and so on...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Would be nice if we all had a random class, and we had to make do with whatever we were landed with. Then we could all see the different tactics people think up for all the different classes (since obviously it's going to vary quite a bit). Otherwise we should all play from the same skill-starved bard save - it's a nice neutral blank slate to play from.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

How about team discuss they strategy, pick race class month.
    After each plays as single player, except they have possibility to swap games at any point. [I do not think we need percent of turns played or some nonsense. Just like you can hire guy get hard work for you...]
    This could allow escape some situations, especially since i do not plan any real rounds [had enough cornerstone-millstone thing last time].

[Keep in mind i ma getting rather drunk so it might be pure C2H5OH induced nonsense]

Edit: Random class? Like someone rolls wizzy wishes for Concentration 3xspellbooks 1x to improve jit points and is set... Don't know i'd rather let pick few skills from race/class pool.
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

How about this: several PCs per team.

Say each team has 3 PCs (all different). The first member of the team to play picks one PC to play with. If he/she survives for 2000 turns or whatever, another player can choose to continue with that PC or to start from the beginning with one of the other two PCs. And so on.

If a PC gets killed, that PC is no longer playable. If all the team's PCs die, the team has lost and is out of the competition.

But a player that kills a PC should not be kicked out of the team. I never liked that. It kills team spirit when towards the end of the competition teams just wither away.

I'll propose my idea:

The entire challenge consists of N missions, which takes N stages to complete. Each mission comes with a "wish rating" which denotes the number of wishes a PC can use before attempting it.
    A team gets as many PCs as players, so each player gets his own PC.
    Each PC starts with x wishes, in the form of x rings or a wand with x - 1 charges.

Of course, other restrictions will need to be added, or a player can just go: oh, I found some morgia in the PC, I'm not leaving until I have 25 toughness.

At the beginning, each player takes a stage 1 save file, use the allowed number of wishes to get what he feels is appropriate, and try to complete the first mission. If a player is successful, a certain number of points is added to the team's score, and the player saves his current progress as a stage 2 save file. If a PC dies, no points are awarded, and the stage 2 save file will be the stage 1 save file the player started with. In this case that PC will be disadvantaged, but not terribly so, because future missions will allow additional wishes.
    At the beginning of stage 2, each player can take any stage 2 save file available (may or may not be his own), wish for additional equipment, and try to complete mission 2. If he succeeds, the team scores points, and his current progress will be the stage 3 save file. If not, the stage 3 save file he passes on will be the one he started with.
    and so on

The advantages of this system are as follows:
    Everyone plays through to the end, no elimination.
    Teams/individuals go at their own pace. People who wish to play more can do so and keep the game going.
    Experienced players can take care of teammates by playing harder r/c combos and taking the PCs that have fallen behind.
    Very quick pace: completing only certain fixed goals is much faster than finishing the entire game.
    Scumming is limited: the missions restrict where the PCs can be and what they can do.

>someone rolls wizzy wishes for Concentration 3xspellbooks

Unfortunately, one needs Le as well.

> How about this: several PCs per team.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That suggestion always comes up, and it always kills things.
    A challenge that lasts 4 months, and still leaves people
    asking "Did we ever finish our monk?" is a no go.

I do advise *1* PC per team, regardless of how the save is
    passed. More just dilutes things. I also hope we end up with
    1 r/c combo for all, otherwise it's no fun comparing. "Our
    troll barb is totally kicking team 3's gray elven thief's
    butt."

We once did a challenge where we voted on which save to
    keep. I enjoyed that, and it seemed to work well. That way
    everyone can employ their personal strategy, while retaining
    hope that their PC (and themselves) will stay in the game.
    The team dies when all players die in a round. If someone
    is busy and can't play a round, all other teamates continue
    as normal, and the stray can join again in the next round.

If we go that route, it would be imperitive to limit the
    team's sizes (maybe 4 max). We don't want TOO many chances
    to live : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Unfortunately, one needs Le as well.
    When I was testing this guy I learned spells quite nice for a 1 Le guy. Invis, Darkness (PP are enough even to bookcast it), MM. Surely it's enough to carefully start.

It is save from original zero wizzy [+rings]. I actually played wizzy with rings. If you get bookcast on darkness+ couple spells you are set.

Unluckily i don't see any sort of consensus, probably will have to do thing my own funky way and when everyone will be unhappy with results.

Organising is hard...