Thread: High scores

Default High scores

The high scoring system in ADOM can be found at the bottom of this page (although it might be a bit old now).

I'm rather curious on how high scores work in JADE. One thought I had was for it to be entirely quest based, that is, things like peity, exp, stats, skills, spells, etc. won't contribute to the score. Their purpose is to help the PC complete quests. That way you can spend as long as you like beefing up your character - but your score will remain 0 until you complete some quests.

What are your thoughts?

I'm happy enough with ADOM's scoring system. It's a measure of how far advanced your character is in every respect. And overall it's not important - the game isn't about getting the highest score, and I in no way comepte with others for a better score. One problem I don't like though - avatars aren't as good-scoring as normal endings (should really be the other way in my book).

Quest-based I definitely dislike - what about challenge games that involve taking no quests? What about a char that dies before completing a quest? It should be in the same vein as ADOM - every stat, spell and item has some sort of contribution as a testament to your glory (or suckiness).

Well, ADOM isn't about getting the highest score because the score is quite silly - there are some things you can do just before the end to obtain enough points to make everything else you've done throughout the whole game almost irrelevant.

It's just a thought, but it seems reasonable to me to have the high score based upon the PC's achievements.

Challange games are off topic, they're created outside the game. But in any case, what is a char going to do if it is not involved in any quests? Walk around and kill monsters for all eternity? Yes, in ADOM you can do a lot without it being classed as a quest, but in JADE I'm expecting a great expansion on quests. Furthermore many things in ADOM are quests, without being classed as such. Eg. clearing a vault, obtaining the phial, becoming a champion of law, etc.

A char that dies before it makes any progress on any quest has achieved nothing with its existence, thus should score 0. But the quest system in JADE is meant to be vastly expanded so dying before completing a quest would be difficult to do (or so I expect).

So perhaps a better way to rephrase this is an achievement based score. The char has to actually do something, not just be capable of doing it, to increase his/her score. At the end of the game, the char dies or goes away or something, so his skills, spells, stats, etc. mean nothing - only the achievements when alive count.

Adom scoring system is fine, and I think that in Jade it would work too. As for challenge games...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
    Challange games are off topic, they're created outside the game. But in any case, what is a char going to do if it is not involved in any quests?
    I'd like to see challenge games and conducts tracked in Jade(like in NetHack now). In that case score of your char would be also based on achieved challenge goals.

Won't Jade be less based on a single goal and more based on a whole world of goals to complete? In Adom there is a very distinct place that you are headed. Most of the challenge games have limitations that you must place on yourself to complete the goal. If there are many different goals in Jade, I would think that the number of challenge games would end up being prohibitive of being included in the score.

I don't see a problem if it's ackowledged in the .flg that someone completed a certain challange, eg. "<char> never spoke a word", but I don't think it should directly affect the score.

On a related topic, there was a rumour of creating a hall of fame on the internet. Any thoughts on how this could be arranged? In particular, how could you prevent save-scummed/cheated chars from getting their flags on the high-score list?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    On a related topic, there was a rumour of creating a hall of fame on the internet. Any thoughts on how this could be arranged? In particular, how could you prevent save-scummed/cheated chars from getting their flags on the high-score list?
    Are you referring to this post?

Yep that's the one, thanks for that.

There are some good ideas suggested there, although I'm not sure if everyone will remember to make a savefile just before leaving the chain. Hopefully you can just click an "upload your score" button when you've finished, for simplicity.