Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge game: 'The Greased Lightning'!

nathrakh Guest

Default Challenge game: 'The Greased Lightning'!

Hello everyone!

Last night I thought of new challenge game ideas and one particular idea rose above the others. The challenge - which I named 'The Greased Lightning' for now - is all about speed. Basically the rules go like this:

"Play through the game in as little REAL time as possible. Saving is prohibited (except for backups)."

That's the basics. Now about the mechanics. Obviously playing this challenge offline would mean that players could cheat very easily. I don't think anyone would but one can never be sure. That means that it would be best for the spirit of the challenge to play in the Ancardia server.

Which leads us to the next problem. This would require "some" modifications to the server's code by Jaakkos. Basically an automatic timer system. Now, I don't know a lot about coding and that kind of stuff but timer like this sounds simple enough to make.

I'd like to hear everyones opinions and feedback about this challenge game, please. Word is yours.

EDIT: REMOVED point system. It is useless.

LEADERBOARDS:

Normal gate closing:

1. THE GREASED LIGHTNING: Samim - 2 hours 12 minutes.

FLG: zockdar.flg
    Tttyrecs: "samim - ttyrec-Thu-Feb-18-23:03:55-2010" and "samim - ttyrec-Fri-Feb-19-00:29:48-2010"

Ultra wins:

No implications yet.
    Last edited by nathrakh; 02-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.

I like it. In fact I have thought about this sometimes. There could be a leaderboard of this, it would be lots of fun.

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I like it. In fact I have thought about this sometimes. There could be a leaderboard of this, it would be lots of fun.
    Yes, I thought of a leaderboard myself too. No. 1 place holder would get the title of Greased Lightning of course. ,)

It might be nice to have separate titles for Wizards and non-Wizards. Otherwise the challenge will amount to who can do a GE wizard speedrun in the shortest real time.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    It might be nice to have separate titles for Wizards and non-Wizards. Otherwise the challenge will amount to who can do a GE wizard speedrun in the shortest real time.
    Good idea, wizards truly are overpowered.

I also thought of making the point multiplier a little lower for ultra endings, say 0.8 instead of 1. Because they are a lot harder. What are your opinions guys?

sounds pretty good so far. Hopefully it'll be easy to code into the server.
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

No thanks, I would lose from all my constant smoke breaks.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I've thought about this before - real-time runs. (I was going to post a thread about it, but never got around to it.) Firstly, why have a point-system at all? Just record the real time with different lists for ultra endings and regular endings, perhaps even different lists for different classes (probably unnecessary)?

Another thing - playing on the server is so slow, I know I personally wouldn't bother trying to play a 'real-time' run on it. Maybe a modified version of ADOM or a patch of some sort that keeps track of play seconds? I think I'm with most people that following an 'honor' system via manually recording your own play time just isn't as 'fun' as something more 'official' would be.

nathrakh Guest

*Buuuuuuuumb!*

Looks like not many people are interested in this challenge... I thought it would get implemented for sure :-(

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
    I've thought about this before - real-time runs. (I was going to post a thread about it, but never got around to it.) Firstly, why have a point-system at all? Just record the real time with different lists for ultra endings and regular endings, perhaps even different lists for different classes (probably unnecessary)?
    To be honest, good idea. Removing the point system would simplify this challenge even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
    Another thing - playing on the server is so slow, I know I personally wouldn't bother trying to play a 'real-time' run on it. Maybe a modified version of ADOM or a patch of some sort that keeps track of play seconds? I think I'm with most people that following an 'honor' system via manually recording your own play time just isn't as 'fun' as something more 'official' would be.
    Now, I'm still not a coder but I think this kind of thing would require some serious editing of the executable..
    Last edited by nathrakh; 02-10-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Well, playing on the server is quite fast for those of us who are in Europe... I guess it would be a severe disadvantage to people in the Americas and other places though. Maybe that's the reason why not many people have expressed interest.

Having another server in the US would be great. Then probably more than 80% of the forum would be well covered, since it seems that most of us are either from Europe or North America.

A possible solution for local play would be using a recording program, so that you would have to show a recording of your game to be believed. It wouldn't be as good as watching it live on the server and being able to comment live on the IRC channel, though.