Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge game: 'The Greased Lightning'!

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Well, playing on the server is quite fast for those of us who are in Europe... I guess it would be a severe disadvantage to people in the Americas and other places though. Maybe that's the reason why not many people have expressed interest.

Having another server in the US would be great. Then probably more than 80% of the forum would be well covered, since it seems that most of us are either from Europe or North America.

A possible solution for local play would be using a recording program, so that you would have to show a recording of your game to be believed. It wouldn't be as good as watching it live on the server and being able to comment live on the IRC channel, though.
    just wondering Al-k, how fast is your connection to the public server? For me, every move I make seems to take about 100-400 miliseconds from the time I input a key to the time it actually happens. Is it faster for you?

I don't think many are interested in a game without any saving. Most of us play a full game broken up over at least a week, and very few of us would have a spare block of 8 hours to dedicate to an ADOM speedrun.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

nathrakh Guest

8 hours is a bit exaggerating in my opinion. More like 3-5 hours (if played really fast, as it should in this challenge).

Anyways, looks like not many players like this challenge so as of now lets forget about this. :-(

I still think it's a nice idea. It might be an idea to get rid of the no-save rule, though - just have the timer stop and start when the game's saved or loaded as appropriate.

I'd say that 2 hours with barbarian is very well possible to do. Today I played a game that lasted a bit under 2 hours and 10 minutes and I died due to corruption in D:50.
    I got crowned in about 10 minutes and got Vanquisher (if I got anything else, I just quitted and started over). Pyramid and dwarved graveyard were both finished in the first 30 minutes and after that I did darkforge. ACW was dead in less than 1 hour and getting rest of the orbs took less than 1 hour more. Finally I entered D:50 before 2 hours were passed. Eventually I got ganged by balors there (poison hands without thick gauntlets and teleportation without control was too much).

You guys scum a lot. Playing fast and not bothering with side quests like library, etc.; I think it should not be too hard to do ~3 hours with a wizard.

Not that I would do it because from playing fast I would probably magic missile myself to death. But someone better than me should be able to do it.

About my connection, I'd say my lag is never larger than 100 ms.

nathrakh Guest

I am happy to announce the following:

Samim has just done first win on the spirit of this challenge. The bar surely is set very high.

The ending time is verified as valid and I have edited the info on first post.

Samim is officially crowned as the Greased Lightning.

Congratulations.

Very impressive! Was the time spent measured on the server itself?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Very impressive! Was the time spent measured on the server itself?
    Time was measured by looking at the starting time and I spectated him when he finished.