Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Useless Items

I agree, that is an awesome use for gauntlets of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sgeos View Post
    That is just it. With logs as a substitute, what good are sticks?
    Imagine an early game archer, stuck in a dungeon, having run out of ammunition, facing powerful monsters, before you ever got a hatchet or the opportunity to use it, or the money to get the food required to chop wood. Short time survival could make it absolutely necessary then to go for a wooden stick just to get a few more arrows.

And worthless pieces of glass... C'mon, they're named "worthless". If you won't allow selling or polymorphing then they are truly no good for anything. The same is true for sapphires, rubies, aquamarines and topazes however

And even this was inaccurate. You didn't think of disallowing THROWING the items. Actually, they can even be WIELDED, for instance to batter a zero PV jelly to death.

EDIT: Gauntlets of peace - need I mention that an early game wizard might want extra PV and DV so much that he is willing to give up 15 to-hit? He can cast spells, after all. If he runs out of PP running like hell in coward mode is preferable to staying and fighting anyway
    Last edited by Silfir; 03-30-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Naturally, all items can be used for something. I was looking to disallow anything that is a universal application for all items- selling for change, polymorphing (into another item no less), burdening yourself, ad-hoc bashing, ad-hoc throwing, missile-slot altar conversion insurance, etc all fall into this category. I suppose the question could be reworded as something like this- "what items are no more useful than a rock?" Poking holes in the question really doesn't net the conversation anything though, unless the reader is not aware of the universal uses for generic items.

That's probably the correct question, only rocks are of course very useful as missiles or thrown weapons

Does slinging worthless pieces of glass train the sling skill?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Glass is great for pack padding when diving into the Rift. It's lightweight and not easily destroyed otherwise, but when you fall down the chasm then the RNG just loves to leap on those guys. I always keep lal my glass for precisely that reason.

Perhaps the worst items would be the likes of trapped armor of hate, especially if it were made of mithril, had its PV damaged out and had highly negative DV.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I wonder if the rift fall deosn't just attempt to destroy everything in the pack...