Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You guys still play?!

Default You guys still play?!

Consistently? I can only play adom in bursts these days. Its the first roguelike I ever played back in like...1996 or '97. And i've gotten pretty tired of the same old same old every game. Been drawn to *bands lately actually! As much as I hate the scummy grinding nature of *bands I like the variation between each game, especially the ones that have random quests/randarts. Takes some of the monotony away of "Visit general store, buy lantern, kill morgoth."

I've played every race/class combination to and got em all to at least fire temple, ATTEMPTED every challenge, theres just so much that can be done in such a restricted game. Just wondering if you guys still play adom consistently or only for a month or two at a time then you have to take a break.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

speedruns are the only thing that holds interest
    for me these days. The players are > the game.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I'd like to see more sandboxish roguelikes actually where you can just do whatever. I cant stand the clunky interface of dwarf fortress and just want to play one character, not have to manage dozens of stupid dwarves. Any other roguelikes along these lines? Kind of limited in adom, sure i can craft to an extent and garden to an extent but, thats about it.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Ha, these days I play ADOM when I need a relaxing break from Dwarf Fortress. I guess I should try Adventure Mode in DF, but I just find Fortress Mode too tempting whenever I am at the start menu.

I guess I can count my ADOM victories on my hands (in decimal, without a high Dx stat), so it still interests me, though I guess my recent string of multi-orb bearing PC careless deaths does point to a certain ennui with the game...

nathrakh Guest

I play it almost every day, from one hour to 5+ hours. ADOMholic.

Not really.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I die constantly and still play a lot. Maybe after my first or second win i'll give up.
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

I play frequently close to every day ; if i had a choice, i would be out and partying etc. but somehow, both due to restriction on money part and let's say transporation part , i tend to chillax with ADOM. If not ADOM, i'm drawn to do something related to it ; i.e drawing paint pics, converting songs to ADOM content ; it's all creative.
    I've won with the following classes ; Monk and Bard.

I don't play normal games anymore (even though I "only" have 3 wins). Every so often, I take my orcish ranger for an ID dive, play some Ironman, play some Eternium man, etc. etc.

I don't play regularly right now, but every so often I'll just sit down and play for a couple hours in an evening.

I only play doomed PCs now. It's very humbling
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.