Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM Discussion

Well, I personally would prefer getting the source, because there could be many more bugfixes and improvements and I would be able to have a go at it myself. But TB never promised to release the source, he was just thinking about it. So if we get some bugfixes and updates I'll be more than happy about that, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush...

(in Spain we are more radical with that, we say "a bird in the hand is better than a hundred flying)

-I'm not getting iPad. Ever. Even if it was free or if it rained iPads. I feel same about certain other technologies.
    -The Deluxe version would have to have everything that Adombot has, and more, otherwise why would we buy it? Still, selling that "cheating enabled" version would be like getting some Creator's approval to cheat. You dont need approval for cheating. And if you dont plan to cheat, you dont need such a Deluxe version.
    -If Deluxe version will hold bugfixes, I wont be paying for it as I've already learned to live with existing bugs.
    -Heck, I'm not even looking forwards to bugfixes AT ALL. Most have been detected and ways around them found.
    -I wanted Source Code out in the open SOLELY so that progress would finally continue somehow, but it isnt going to happen.
    -JADE seems to be a hopeless wait in this case. Okay, I understand the Creator having some sort of actual life, but in the end, JADE progress will slow/cease, and players arent going to see much of it.
    -I'm not very motivated about ADOM and JADE anymore, as (virtually) nothing else will (hypothetically) be done about them to make them better than they are right now. Or in case of JADE, playable.
    Last edited by Elone; 04-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Quote Originally Posted by Universal View Post
    Actually I believe that there is one more reason why TB never released source code of ADOM. That reason is socially retarded(look at readme file) people like you.
    TB himself seems to be the socially retarded one. He doesn't understand that he could let ADOM go if he (obviously) don't have time to fix the bugs and make improvements. He is just too jealous of what might happen: that some people could make -better- ADOM. I don't like his personality. He is too busy to communicate with fans of ADOM, I mean look at his messages. Who acts like that? He could surely improve his social skills.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Mention Steam to TB then, if you haven't already. It
    sounds better than ipad to me, but I just don't see
    people paying.
    Yes, I'm looking into that.

How does Steam work with updates? I read something about an automatic update feature which sounds nice for normal games but for ADOM it poses one problem: Usually save files are not compatible with older releases and automatic updates in that case actually might be very annoying...

Feedback from Steam users welcome!

Thomas
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    TB himself seems to be the socially retarded one. He doesn't understand that he could let ADOM go if he (obviously) don't have time to fix the bugs and make improvements. He is just too jealous of what might happen: that some people could make -better- ADOM.
    That's actually pretty moronic to say.

Why would I be jealous. If you feel you can write a better game just do it instead of posting stupid accusations - of which I really am tired.

I often enough stated that I just don't want to see chainsaw-wielding lasersword-enabled hamster ninjas in ADOM... something that likely would happen as in many other roguelikes just because someone thought that such a feature might be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I don't like his personality. He is too busy to communicate with fans of ADOM, I mean look at his messages. Who acts like that? He could surely improve his social skills.
    You pretty clearly prove that you never had to manage a community. Your lack of experience - and your lack of social skills - sadly shows clearly.

Just to give you an idea about what you are talking:

• In the heyday of ADOM I spent about 4-6 hours per day (at least) responding to emails and working on the code.
    • When I was a student that was okay... because I usually could spent that time after 10pm until early in the morning and then sleep till 11am or 12am.
    • Nowadays I work 10 to 12 hours per day... computer-related. I can guarantee that this somewhat takes the fun out of turning on the computer once again in the evening.
    • And since my wife also likes to see me and I usually get up around 6am for work it's rather hard to spend time both responding to fans and do anything with the game.
    • Because every minute taken from doing some work (like communicating) is a minute not available for some kind of work.

And just that you don't misunderstand: I'm not complaining. I love every minute of what I am doing. And I'm sad for every time I start something with JADE or ADOM and don't manage to finish it. But I keep doing my best and I am pretty relaxed about what others might think about it since I can't do more than my best. It's that simple.

But you are welcome to support ADOM... by for example spending an hour per evening on transferring all the reasonable bugs from the old bug database to the new system... and cleaning duplicates... improving ncomprehensible messages... etc. Do that for two weeks - and try at the same time to have a full work day, a social life and fun and you will most likely recognize the stupidity of your post.

And for every such posting I feel reaffirmed about not releasing the sources either - just because it prevents some folks from annoying folks from harassing me with "Look am my c00l Uber-ADOM with chainsaw-wielding hamster ninjas... how do you like it?" statements.

Thanks for listening.

Thomas
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

TB, you shouldn't have even dignified that moron with a response. I checked out his laptop's webcam and this is what he was doing.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    Feedback from Steam users welcome!
    Well, I use Steam as a player, not as a game distributor, so I can only tell you what I see as a player.

The auto-update feature does exist. It can be configured in a per-game basis. In my list of games, I can right-click any of them, go to "Properties", "Updates", and choose whether I want to update it automatically or not. If I have chosen yes, it updates in a transparent way when I open Steam (if there is an update, of course). If I have chosen no, it doesn't. Updates can also be paused and resumed.

Unfortunately I don't know what happens if a game does not have backwards save compatibility. The games I have on Steam are either classics that don't update, or multiplayer games where one doesn't save.

By the way: please don't listen to the people that insult you for not releasing the source. I think I speak for 99% of the people in this community when I say that I fully respect your right to decide if you will release the source someday or not. But whatever your decision is, it would be sad if it were conditioned by the whinings of the 1% disrespectful ones. I think you shouldn't pay them that much heed.

I just looked through the guy's 16 (woot) posts.
    All of them were trolls, except one about telescope lenses :P
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I think anything that moves ADOM forward is great. Although, would I be the only one that might still play 1.11? Because I'm finally getting good enough to use some of the bugs to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    I often enough stated that I just don't want to see chainsaw-wielding lasersword-enabled hamster ninjas in ADOM... something that likely would happen as in many other roguelikes just because someone thought that such a feature might be cool.
    I think that is an excuse, a bad one. Angband might have suffered from poor variants, but who cares? No one plays them. Good things could happen to ADOM in open source development, as happened to Crawl which was saved from the oblivion by Stone Soup team. There could even be an official branch with bugs fixed and features added with your permission.