Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: iADOM Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post
    I agree with gut (for once) that a cute little window would pop up when you start ADOM for the first time explaining simple commands like < > e T "bump into monsters to attack" "to equip junk press 'i' and then the letter that corresponds to the equipment" and the ever so popular "? then k for the list of commands"
    Also a very good suggestion. Please submit it to the ADOM project management tool.
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Indeed, it's one of the best of any roguelike out there. Possibly *the* best.

Bug fixes are all we want right now. Maybe in future we can consider some neat new features
    And you won't get more in the near future (mostly) since I need time to "get back into the code". Which is quote difficult. And I can't say for sure how successful I will be since the task is monumental ;-)
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    Does it include a means to hibernate a game in the background without having to save it?
    Yes, OS4 has a new feature called "fast app switching" that allows exactly that. I don't know the details since I haven't downloaded the beta yet. But it looks like this could help to solve the "interrupt" problem.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Have fun re-learning C++ Tommy!
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Sometimes I thing that people want the ADOM sources so much because they can't get them :-)
    Very true. I don't think you help with the odd tease though
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Sometimes I thing that people want the ADOM sources so much because they can't get them :-)
    Well, I personally wanted them because after so many years without updates, I wanted to see bugfixes and I wouldn't have liked to see ADOM die. Now that there are going to be bugfixes and updates, I don't care so much about the sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal View Post
    Actually I believe that there is one more reason why TB never released source code of ADOM. That reason is socially retarded(look at readme file) people like you. He spend hunderds/thousands hours on programming ADOM, and he's letting people play his game completly for free. And instead of appreciate his work and fact that he's letting you play his game for free, you're telling him "fuck you" just because he doesn't want to release source code of HIS game?

He didn't promised over a year ago that sources will be released - he was just thinking about it. Obviously he decided that they won't be released, it's his right. Instead of whining and cursing, why don't you write your own game like Adom?
    And then those who don't say "f**k you" to TB also can't get the code?

And for every such posting I feel reaffirmed about not releasing the sources either - just because it prevents some folks from annoying folks from harassing me with "Look am my c00l Uber-ADOM with chainsaw-wielding hamster ninjas... how do you like it?" statements.

Thanks for listening.

Thomas
    However, not everyone is that way. I, for example, would like to see the code not because I'd want to inject some stupid horse manure into it and gloat about it, but just to learn from it and see the types of algorithms used and to answer curiosity questions (and also just to see what it looks like, how it's coded, etc. for fun). Even if you never want to release it ever at all, one thing I'd still like to know is the answers to the "mysteries" (red rooster, etc.) in there. Does the "strange *TCHUNK*" room effect actually do anything or not? This one I'd love to get an official response to as it would help get me some closure on something that caused me a lot of emotional grief when I was younger (this is a long story, but if you want to hear, I'll tell you, though I'd prefer to take this to private mail then). The answers to these questions would be nearly as satisfying to me as a source code release, so even if you don't want to do the latter, I think it would be nice of you to do the former. I'm pretty sure "*TCHUNK*" does nothing, but to hear that from the maker himself would really be something I'd appreciate.
    Last edited by mike3; 04-13-2010 at 07:55 AM.

As for more ADOM updates, will you (Thomas) release new free versions of ADOM with bugfixes (and for PC, too)?

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    As for more ADOM updates, will you (Thomas) release new free versions of ADOM with bugfixes (and for PC, too)?
    He said he is going to do it, a bunch of posts above in this same thread.