Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM Discussion

Default iADOM Discussion

Don't want the bug report thread being cluttered up, but I imagine people are wanting to share their thoughts on this...

Firstly, I have to say I really have no interest in getting an iPad, not even for ADOM. I'm guessing a lot of others are in the same boat. Still, in the longer run whatever successors there are of the iPad could well be appealing to me, and it may well be that iADOM will be easily ported (or natively supported). The more important thing really though is it's great to hear talk of a bugfix update of ADOM. Any sort of update is brilliant to see, and may even spur on some new content. We seem to be losing sight of any hope of JADE being completed in the near future, and even if it were there's no guarantee it would be half as fun as ADOM is. An update to ADOM seems like a much better use of TB's time to me now.

I'm not sure how the interface would work on the iPad. Movement and meleeing monsters would be simple enough with the touchscreen, but all the menus would be a lot more complex. I can only assume that there'd be buttoned commands at the side, which lead into sub menus for skills/spells/inventory etc, but it could end up being horribly complex. Still, would be interesting to see. Thomas may wish to look a little at NethackDS for some inspiration on how to add touchscreen control to a roguelike. It has a touchscreen keyboard but it tries to limit most commands to context based screen touching rather than cumbersome key commands.

Also, in terms of features, I'm not too fussed about new content to the game, but there are a few interface things I'd be interested in. In particular integration of many of ADOM Sage's features, especially message highlighting and suppression.

Any thoughts on what people would like to see in a Deluxe version? Starsign selector would certainly be nice.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I'm also much more excited over the possible future bug fix than the iPad port.

+1 to what you both say. Also not going to buy an iPad, but excited about the update and bugfixes. I wish TB made an ADOM Deluxe for PC, I'm sure many of us would pay.

Powder is another example of a roguelike that does a lot with a quite simplified interface, I guess ideas from it could be applied to the touchscreen.

I also believe this is awesome not only for this community of ADOM players but also for TB himself. Especially if he can get some sort of sponsorship he would probably be able to devote a lot more time into making ADOM even bigger and better.

Things I'd like to see in a deluxe version:
    1) More Artifacts; especially cloaks, girdles, boots, bracers, maybe an instrument, and a boomerang or javelin.
    2) Larger variety in the blanket department (as suggested in the features section)
    3) A question system that impacts more than just starting stats, things like alignment and starting equipment.

Will it work for the Itouch/phone?
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Not sure how this will work, given there's no keyboard on the iPad...

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    Not sure how this will work, given there's no keyboard on the iPad...
    Doesn't the iPad have a touch keyboard on the lower third or so of the screen?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I still say Biskup would make more $$$ by simply adding some
    banners to this forum. Nobody is in love with banners, but I
    for one would definitely not stop visiting just because of a
    few ads. At least it would pay site bandwidth, maybe.

EDIT: Just a good natured jab:

> adom-admin Posts: 40
    > Ok, so I fumbled. In the first thread of this subforum I asked for the most pressing bugs to be fixed
    > I forgot about one thing:
    > the project management tool for ADOM

Noob.
    Last edited by gut; 04-06-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I have an ad-blocker on anyway... I personally don't like the idea of it though, and I'm not sure how much income he'd really get. None of us would ever click on the links.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

To be honest I'm not excited with idea of iAdom, I'm not going to get any iPhone or iPad in any predictable future. However new adom version, bug fixes and new features(though probably I won't live long enough for that one) sounds really cool.

Still I'd rather like to see some JADE related updates, but oh well, you can't have everything I guess...