Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-game Notes

Default In-game Notes

One of the things that I've often thought would be handy is an in-game notes utility. Sure, I can use Notepad or Textedit (or whatever) to record where shops, pools, altars, etc. are between game sessions, but it would be nice if I could just type Alt N and notes for that specific character would pop up.

Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if this would be a lot of extra effort or would dramatically reduce the art of JADE and/or ADOM.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthflavorquark View Post
    One of the things that I've often thought would be handy is an in-game notes utility. Sure, I can use Notepad or Textedit (or whatever) to record where shops, pools, altars, etc. are between game sessions, but it would be nice if I could just type Alt N and notes for that specific character would pop up.

Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if this would be a lot of extra effort or would dramatically reduce the art of JADE and/or ADOM.
    Even if there was a feature like that; I would not use it. Here are three reasons:

1. I have a favorite text editor, Vim. It's a lot more comfortable than anything else.
    2. I want to be able to read/write the notes when I'm not playing (e.g. when posting here).
    3. I want to be able to search (and possibly reformat the results) through my notes (possibly the notes from different chars) effectively. Means, I want to be able to use unix tools to do the job (grep...).
    4. What if your character dies, but you want to write a postmortem?
    5. I backup my char often, and I want to keep *all* backups, in case I want to jump back later to test something. Here, being able to grep through the notes from outside of the game is very handy to determine which savegame I want to load.

Anyway, you might just make a shortcut to open your favorite text editor with a specific textfile pre-loaded.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Ah yes, all good points.

You could just have ADOM open the registered text editor. System calls are easy to do.

The nice thing would be about the bookkeeping that you would not need to take care of yourself anymore, equally like leaving fullscreen mode. Especially when you play 7th char a day...
    When the char dies, the file dies. It can remain in the flg if you like, or you create another dump on dying...

I churn through characters, so I like the idea of a notepad attached to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by sgeos View Post
    I churn through characters, so I like the idea of a notepad attached to the character.
    What if you could write things down(assuming your character is literate) on a blank scroll that can be read later?

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGenerator View Post
    What if you could write things down(assuming your character is literate) on a blank scroll that can be read later?
    This is an awesome idea. A notepad book (10s?) would also be really nice.

From a role-playing standpoint, a notebook in the game would be incredibly overpowered - paper tends to be pretty rare in such scenarios... like hundreds of blank scrolls held together in a convenient binder (free packet of stickers with part one).

The gush of water hits you! Your blessed diary is totally drenched! You die...

I like the idea of writing notes on blank scrolls, it could add even more to the game (mute but literate? write a message on the blank scroll to talk to someone. Mute and illiterate? draw pictures!).
    Last edited by Sadface; 04-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.