Thread: Overconfident Assassin

Default Overconfident Assassin

I guess my Gnome Assassin forgot what game he was in. Poison resistance, poison on weapon--(+12,2d6+6)[+14,0] 2-handed sword from the SMC--excellent drops all around (multiple spellbooks of Teleport for example), good full set of gear, potions of cure poison, extra healing, and ultra healing... heck, he was even finding pre-blessed potions (plural) of Gain Attributes and 3 pre-blessed Scroll of Identify.

At level 15, after plucking off the bouncers, he thought he could melee Hotzenplotz. Hotzenplotz does not care about 70/15 DV/PV, poison resistance, or the number of potions you carry, he can still eat through 110 HP in a couple of lucky rounds.

It was less frustrating than my Gnome Ranger from earlier in the day. He found blessed 7LB twice on his way to the waterproof blanket (), and by level 5 had a full gear set better than my level 17 Dwarf Monk, even ignoring the 7LB (which my Monk lacks). At level 10 a single mimic ambushed him in a random shop in the Puppy Cave and took him from full health to dead with a single lucky paralysis. (RNG: "Haha, just kidding! ")

Hotzenplotz in melee is almost always a bad idea. He gets multiple attacks that critical often and always ignore PV. He's killed stronger PCs than yours who figure he ought to be a pushover. Always use missiles or spells unless you are ridiculously overlevelled for the fight.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Only time I successfully meleed Hotz was with an orc fighter busting an eternium 2hs at level 14 and even then I had to stand around and use first aid after the fight to make sure he didn't succumb to the poison. I could probably do it again on other PCs but why bother when missiles work so much better?
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Why did you want to kill Holtenplotz ? He was only having fun with his 2 half-bouncer pals and he doesn't own anything worth the risk of fighting him

Except money?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I rarely find myself killing Holtenplotz for money, especially in melee. The arena yield much more money so I prefer making a short journey in the wilderness instead of attacking Lawenilothehl's godfather

Quote Originally Posted by taickyto View Post
    Why did you want to kill Holtenplotz ? He was only having fun with his 2 half-bouncer pals and he doesn't own anything worth the risk of fighting him
    Half-bouncer? I didn't know they were only half bouncers. What's their other day job?

The guaranteed amulet of order is pretty useful for early alignment control. Especially since Lawful altars are the easiest thing to use for an early precrowning gift. (you can't sac half the monsters you find to a neutral altar, and a misstep can often cause a chaotic altar to insta-kill you)

Quote Originally Posted by zeteginara View Post
    Half-bouncer? I didn't know they were only half bouncers. What's their other day job?
    Pin cushion, it would seem. Those guys never put up a fight.

[QUOTE=zeteginara;49059]Half-bouncer? I didn't know they were only half bouncers. What's their other day job?QUOTE]

One puts on a big purple costume with green poke-dots and sings children songs. The other one works at a dare-care center.
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.