Thread: Odd message

Default Odd message

Alright, so I got a wish in one of my games. I went for Potions of Toughness. Normally when you make this wish, you get the following messages:

A voice in your mind booms "*TWO* shall be enough."

However, on this particular character I got

A voice in your mind booms "Your humbility suits you well."

I'm not sure what caused the different message, but I still got just two potions, both uncursed. Anyone know why?

Because ADOM has a million calls to the RNG?

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGenerator View Post
    Alright, so I got a wish in one of my games. I went for Potions of Toughness. Normally when you make this wish, you get the following messages:

A voice in your mind booms "*TWO* shall be enough."

However, on this particular character I got

A voice in your mind booms "Your humbility suits you well."

I'm not sure what caused the different message, but I still got just two potions, both uncursed. Anyone know why?
    In my last game I wished like eight times for potions of willpower/toughness, and got this message or a similar one each time (I think the other one is *MODESTY BEFITS YOU* or something like that). The implication seems to be that with all the extremely powerful stuff one could wish for - 7LB, GoGS, SoCR, PoGA, *DSM or whatever - that 'mere' potions of stat are quite a little thing, in comparison, to spend a wish on. Hence the message that it's a humble/modest thing to wish for.

Potions of stats can be only wished two at a time. Normally, if you wish for an <item>, you get one. If you wish for <items>, you get 2d2 of them. You always get 2 potions of stat though, so...

When you wish for potions of stat (multiples), you get "*TWO* shall be enough." and the game doesnt let you have any more than that.

When you wish for potion of stat (a single one), you get "Your humility suits you well." and the game "rewards" you with two potions, instead of the one you asked for.

Either way, the game reminds you that you can only get two stat potions, and gives them to you. Quite simple.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    When you wish for potions of stat (multiples), you get "*TWO* shall be enough." and the game doesnt let you have any more than that.

When you wish for potion of stat (a single one), you get "Your humility suits you well." and the game "rewards" you with two potions, instead of the one you asked for.
    My experiences don't reflect this; I always wished for potions of stat, and I always got "*MODESTY BEFITS YE*".

I assumed the "modesty" and "humility" messages were different. The modesty one is sarcastically saying you should be modest by only taking two. And then gives you two. The humility one gives you the reward.