Thread: I hope this is relevant.

Default I hope this is relevant.

Hello all,

Remember how we all crowdfunded some ADoM development earlier this year?

For me, there are basically two RPGs I've ever cared about. ADoM is one of them. I love the mechanical parts of the game -- being a pack-rat, the thrill of identifying a really good weapon, lining up multiple monsters for a really well-targeted spell, etc. But ADoM is also the most story-driven roguelike I've played. It successfully marries roleplaying with the story. You feel like you're really part of the game world, with your choices affecting how people react to you and the fate of the world itself. I get so involved in ADoM I find myself role-playing just for the heck of it. Like, for instance, eating the cute dog's corpse in front of the little girl. I'm pretty certain there's no code in ADoM that detects this chaotic act, but I do it anyway.

Well, anyway, there's another game I really care about. Actually, it's a series of 5 games called Quest for Glory. They were (and will always be) my first love. Like ADoM, the games gave you hard choices to make. You really felt like you were part of the game world and that your actions mattered. Not only this, but they had an excellent story that spanned across the 5 games and they let you import your character from earlier games into later ones. You could play each of the games 3-4 times through and get a completely different experience/story with each character type. They had adventure elements too, like puzzles and item combining. They're masterful games. The best.

Right now, there's a project on Kickstarter by the creators of Quest for Glory, Lori and Corey Cole. It's called Hero-U and they are trying to raise $400,000. If you check out the Kickstarter page, you'll see that it's going to be a top-down dungeon crawl featuring close-ups in a more adventure game style. It promises to be everything the Quest for Glory games were, but with more of a tactical RPG (roguelike without the random map generation?) slant. Here's a link to the page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-to-redemption

So... why am I mentioning this here? Yes it's a bit of publicity for this project. But I also know WHY I love both ADoM and the Quest for Glory games, and that the reasons for me loving both are very similar. So I figure, if there are other people out there like me who don't keep up with Kickstarter, they'll be very glad they happened to see this. Not only this, but the creators of Quest for Glory are taking their spiritual successor in a more roguelike direction, so I feel there's definite crossover.

Post a reply and let me know if this was helpful. I just want to let other people know about this awesomeness.

Maybe we could post some other crowdfunding links to similarly themed games here too.

I already know about this, from Adventuregamers. I played the first four games in the series not too long ago. They were very good, except perhaps the third one.

The mixture of adventure game and RPG elements was an interesting choice, I wish more games would do that.

Interesting that they're gonna go for a more roguelike direction. I hope they use a parser like in the first two QfG games :-P "Pick nose" anyone?
    Last edited by Laukku; 10-28-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].