Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the Mountains

Default Stuck in the Mountains

Before attempting the ACW in the ToEF again, I made a trip into the Northwestern mountains of Ancardia to quest for the fabled Ring of the High Kings. After crossing the mountains and making my way deep into the tomb, I encountered an Acid Vortex that dissolved most of my arrows and my climbing set. Defeated the Skeleton King without any major issues, but realized on my attempt to return to the CoC that my climbing set had been destroyed and I lacked any way across the mountains! I've been fighting on the cavernous levels from level 20-22 now and have yet to find any means of getting a climbing set. Is there any way to get out of this dilemma?
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by Malakite View Post
    Before attempting the ACW in the ToEF again, I made a trip into the Northwestern mountains of Ancardia to quest for the fabled Ring of the High Kings. After crossing the mountains and making my way deep into the tomb, I encountered an Acid Vortex that dissolved most of my arrows and my climbing set. Defeated the Skeleton King without any major issues, but realized on my attempt to return to the CoC that my climbing set had been destroyed and I lacked any way across the mountains! I've been fighting on the cavernous levels from level 20-22 now and have yet to find any means of getting a climbing set. Is there any way to get out of this dilemma?
    If your stats are appropriate and your climbing is at 100, you can enter the Rift despite not having a climbing set and buy one from the ratling dealer. Other than that, there's not much you can do other than to keep scumming...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakite View Post
    I don't know of any non-cheaty way out of that situation other than raw luck. That sucks more than the blanket thing in your sig.

The Rift thing is new to me, though, I didn't know you could do it without a climbing set.

Honestly, I tend to ward against this possibility by making a backup savegame before I start the climb...

> have yet to find any means of getting a climbing set. Is there any way to get out of this dilemma?

you wouldn't happen to have the ancient scythe?
    I always try to save useless potions like -stun, +ch potential,
    +ap potential, etc... for just such occasions. Just dip scythe
    into potion, dip useless tool (ingot?) into potion. There is a
    chance it will turn into a climbing set, but also a chance that
    said ingot will (try to) turn into the same kind of ingot, therefore
    exploding for massive corruption and ~200 HP's loss.

This isn't as bad as it sounds, just remember that non-common
    item types, such as eternium ingot, or wand of poison, are
    more safe than iron ingots and wands of door creation.

I used this trick just yesterday to get meself a wand of cold
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

It's probably a little late, but what i tend to do in there is to drop the climbing set next to the stairs out, first thing. It's not like i'm going to need it in the caves. Though, does it affect the turns spent climbing out of a pit?

(Last port)
    Is very smart thing to do. Veery smart.

About diving into the rift: I see you don't need a climbing set for the climb, as you are falling anyway...but of course, if you want to enter the library you need one. Because there is hills in the way. Extra set in library is rarely of use, as you need one to get to it.

About rift, I've lately taken to be veeery light when falling in...break 1-2 items at most then. So I really strip him bare, inventory-wise before entering.

Guess OP will have a good run building weapon skills, waiting for either a set to drop or he has gathered 50000 gold...
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Default Displacer beast corpse

Hi all - Long time lurker.

I seem to recall a displacer beast corpse causes you to randomly teleport and it was rumored that this could get you out. Can someone confirm?

Infirm. You cannot teleport in wilderness.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Sacrificed the Ancient Scythe earlier in the game for crowning attempt, though I had never thought of dipping it into potions as you have suggested gut.

Another concern the more I fight in the cavernous levels; I heard that item generation will eventually cause the game to crash from too many items on one level. Several reports of this happening on the Big Room in the CoC were detailed a long while ago. I've been luring Vortexes over to big piles of useless items to destroy them, but should I be worried about too much time on any one of these cavern levels?
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

First time i heard that. You'll have to get an INSANE amount of items to make the game crash, methinks.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game