Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the Mountains

I suspect you'll suffer a stacking crash long before the game crashes via item count overflow. And yes, filling the level with drops greatly increases the chances of such a crash.

Good luck. Honestly, in this situation I would give up and shift-Q..

I am too paranoid to enter this part of the map without at least two climbing sets. There are two garantueed ones in the game (pyramid and gremlin cave), so that's not too hard usually. And leave them behind somewhere safe when diving into the dungeon too, as Toan already suggested.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakite View Post
    Sacrificed the Ancient Scythe earlier in the game for crowning attempt, though I had never thought of dipping it into potions as you have suggested gut.

Another concern the more I fight in the cavernous levels; I heard that item generation will eventually cause the game to crash from too many items on one level. Several reports of this happening on the Big Room in the CoC were detailed a long while ago. I've been luring Vortexes over to big piles of useless items to destroy them, but should I be worried about too much time on any one of these cavern levels?
    Move them into the wilderness and dump them.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Pray, maybe the gods will be nice and give you one. If not, use the sword to end it all! (shift q works too)
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Well I fought for about two hours in the caves until I acquired 50,000 gold pieces (Miser starting talent and Treasure Hunter). Stripped down to artifact equipment and eternium spear and shield, SLB and ring of invisibility. Dropped all equipment and took a chance diving into the rift, at level 22 with 100 climbing. No equipment loss on the way down! Made my way through to the Ratling Dealer, bought the climbing set and backstabbed him for good measure. Then ran through the levels of the rift, with only one close call with a Quickling King.

From now on I will remember to leave the climbing set in a locked room before going to get the Skeleton King's ring!
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post

I am too paranoid to enter this part of the map without at least two climbing sets. There are two garantueed ones in the game (pyramid and gremlin cave), so that's not too hard usually. And leave them behind somewhere safe when diving into the dungeon too, as Toan already suggested.
    Yeah, admittedly quitting and starting a new character would have been easier, since I spent way too much time already playing ADOM today. My guess is that after all this hassle I will die in the ToEF for my sins against the RNG =)
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post

There's actually at least 5 guaranteed. There's one in the CoC around D:11 (sometimes it gets stolen by a dwarf in DT), one in the Rift, and one in the Library as well. Admittedly, these last two aren't usually found, but the one in the CoC often is.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well congratz on getting out! **applause**
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Hmm, from my games i remember i could get the climbing set much cheaper. It seemed to me that the dealer's price was usually set to whatever gold i first entered the level with. I could be misremembering, though, so if someone passes through the rift, they might want to check.

Anyway, coming back from stuck behind the mountains is much more awesome than some boring vanilla grey elf wizard win. Good show!

Quote Originally Posted by Malakite View Post
    Sacrificed the Ancient Scythe earlier in the game for crowning attempt, though I had never thought of dipping it into potions as you have suggested gut.

Another concern the more I fight in the cavernous levels; I heard that item generation will eventually cause the game to crash from too many items on one level. Several reports of this happening on the Big Room in the CoC were detailed a long while ago. I've been luring Vortexes over to big piles of useless items to destroy them, but should I be worried about too much time on any one of these cavern levels?
    I've read upwards of 100,000 scrolls of item creation on one square, and done so ~15 times on different levels (in the one game, dont ask why).

One-point-five-million items. If it was going to crash the game, it would have by now I think.
    Perhaps you're thinking of the ingot bug?
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki