Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link 2010: Tables

What about "son" at the end of Jhonson? Doesn't that mean son?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    I don't like being superstitious. It gives bad luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    "Today I will show everyone the size of my e-penis by stickying a thread from one year ago that absolutely no one cares about!"
    What happens when a being with godlike power has no concept of limits and unfettered creativity? Anything.
    ?/0

I thought the ending -vich means "son" in Russia or something, making this Bumpity Bumpovich fellow a guy?
    That about Mila Jovovich?

And -vich in Russia is only suffix such as ibn (Alla ibn Ali) for arabian culture.

But there are thousands of last names in Russia (but mostly in east Europe) with -vich suffix Miloshevich etc.

Mila Jovovich's origin is Serbian (from her father's side, who gave her the name), and her born name (Mila Jovovich is basically an americanization) is Milica Jovović. That -vić is quite different from the -vich I'm talking about, more similar probably to the ending -ov in Russian (if you take a look at, for instance, the Serbian national football squad, well over half the squad ends in -ic - same deal with Milosevic, by the way!).

I think I won't be out of line too much if I point out that Serbians are not Russians. Neither are Croatians or Montenegrinians Serbian, or Herzegovinians Bosnian, or Slovakians Czech, Latvians Lithuanians and so on and so forth. Ethnic diversity of the Balcan and eastern Europe in general is vast, and very pronounced.

The ending -son in Johnson means son, yes. Nowadays that doesn't mean that Michael Johnson was the son of a John, but rather that one of his ancesters who provided the name had a father named John at some point, when the naming conventions changed to adopt the family name of the father as one's own.
    Last edited by Silfir; 06-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

in Russia an -ov suffix is the most popular. For example Ivanov is exactly Jhonson (as far as John is Ivan)
    But -vich is the most popular in eastern Europe. And logic of Jhonson is the same for Ivanov or Ivanovich (if he is from Ukraina or another country from that region). The main thing is that Ivanovich, if it is the last name, doesn't depends from sex. (for example girl Jovovich).
    On the other hand in the Russian tradition of communication it is common to use patronymic (sorry, dictionary helps me) instead of last name (like in Arabian: Muhhamed ibn Ali).
    Ivan Ivanovich (patronomic) etc, instead of Ivan Ivanov (last name). This way -vich means guy surely =)

Even if -vich means he's a dude with a name like "Bumpity Bumpovich", he's got to have a nice pair of tits.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

... and to think I almost spelled it 'vitch'.
    Oh, the nitpicking I would have gotten then!
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov is the son of Ilya Nikolayevich Ulyanov, who is the son of Nikolai Vasilievich Ulyanov. That's the -vich, or -yich, that means "son of", and the one I was talking about.
    Last edited by Silfir; 06-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

So gutyevichevitch means 'gut' 'son of' 'a vitch'?

I think I won't be out of line too much if I point out that Serbians are not Russians. Neither are Croatians or Montenegrinians Serbian, or Herzegovinians Bosnian, or Slovakians Czech, Latvians Lithuanians and so on and so forth. Ethnic diversity of the Balcan and eastern Europe in general is vast, and very pronounced.
    Most of these are slavic, which goes for more or less close [or rather originating] to russians.

Why you got Lithuanians and Latvians into that mix i have no idea. Probably cause Germany education system is as good as USA in teaching certain facts.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Silfir said that Lithuanians aren't Russians, right? Are you saying
    they are? Well, you'd be right by saying that. As an American, I
    know that all who live around England are Europeans, all who live
    a bit further east are Russians, and most who live further east than
    that are either Chinese or Japanese. Somewhere in the middle of
    all that, and to the south a bit is India and two or three middle
    eastern countries (who's names escape me right now). Below America
    are Mexico and Brazil. Australia is off to the side somewhere. That
    is all.