Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cause of death: Pool abuse

Default Cause of death: Pool abuse

I don't normally bother with these posts, since I consider every one of my deaths to be stupid, and I don't want to take up the whole board. However this one was not only particularly annoying, but also entirely avoidable, so I feel the need to vent a little. Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

Ok, so, I randomly rolled a sword born human wizard. I hate wizards, since I've never got one beyond level 6 or so, so I didn't have high hopes. I started out with light, lightning bolt and bless. True to form, my regular trip to the waterproof blanket in the small cave was cut short at level 4 after several close calls. I decided to go and rescue the puppy regardless, fully expecting to die to the ants on PC2. Despite me pessimism, I managed to scrape through, by extreme caution, even managing to find a couple of herb bushed on PC3; nothing I could farm, since they were all in corridors, but I managed to eventually get my To and Wi up to something a little more respectable.

This really is where my luck started to change. On PC4 I found a pool that gave me intrinsic invisibility. Using that I managed to clear out the gnoll vault on PC6, although I miscounted a lightning bolt range and destroyed the lightning bolt book. Doing so I found an adamantium broadsword and tower shield, which set me up nicely for killing things, a book of strength of atlas and a book of cure serious wounds.

After handing the little girl her dead dog, I shot back through the small cave to the UD, where two lesser vaults (mixed and more gnolls) on UD1 and 2 got me up to level 12 in short order, with a good stock of wand, potions and scrolls. Another pool on UD3 gave me TC, see invisible and sleep resistance.

UD4 was the killer, on seeing a third pool, i decided to sip once, but no more (I didn't want to push my luck). That one sip made me sick. I tried to wait it out, I read my scrolls until I found an ID scroll, ID'ed potions, and found I had nothing useful there. I zapped all my wands hoping for wonder: nothing. None of my herbs were curia mancox. I hadn't found an altar, so praying gave no luck, just healing. Cure Serious Wounds and plenty of food kept me alive until I decided to leave the room out of sheer boredom, in the hope of finding herbs or potions, or anything of use.

On the next level I found an ogre tension room. I decided to clear it, again, hoping for potions, or even a book of cure disease. It went fine until an ogre mage I didn't notice took me down to 20hp with a frost bolt. I tried to run away, but he caught me with another one, and I died.

Entirely avoidable. My lesson learned is not to drink from pools unless I have all the precautions in place.

Rant over.
    Loitering with intent to loiter.

If you're invisible, nothing that doesn't see invisible can spot you until you hit it in melee or missiles. Being a wizard lets you to zap your spells at mobs without making them see you. Ogre magi don't see invisible, so everything you have to do is to roast them with Lightning Bolt. Wizzies are fragile in the beginning, so take precautions

Some people discourage sipping pools early but they make some PCs far more fun imo.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

To be fair, I don't see a pool related death here at all.
    The pools were awesome to you, then you got sick, then you acted recklessly for no reason.

Cure Serious Wounds and plenty of food kept me alive until I decided to leave the room out of sheer boredom, in the hope of finding herbs or potions, or anything of use.
    Just a bit more patience invisibly training your mana by book casting CSW and you would have been fine.

As I said, completely avoidable. I know exactly what I should and should not have done, and I got careless. I call it a pool related death since I really had absolutely zero reason to go for that last pool. If I'd restrained myself from that gamble I would have been fine.

While I think of it, I did notice that all the time I was below about 50% health, the sickness vary rarely hurt me. As soon as I healed beyond that threshold, I was hit by a massive feverish fits thingy that took me down to the verge of death. Is that normal, or just a quirk of the RNG?

Sickness generally keeps you at half your health, but can drop you quite a bit below if you try to heal up from there. Using Cure Wounds spells while sick is actually kind of pointless. Once you're below half HP, sickness will almost never hurt you (except possibly for a massive shudder at the end).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusKain View Post
    My lesson learned is not to drink from pools unless I have all the precautions in place.
    Earlier I found a pool 1 step from the entrance in the PC as a gnome thief, the first dungeon I entered, no monsters killed. Sipped since I had nothing to lose: wish. He died, but still...

I don't mind sipping really early game when there are no risks, but otherwise, yeah, proper precautions.
    Gate closers: (ImmaNinja Level 44 Drakish Monk);
    Ultras: Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    I was hoping for additional insight, especially as to the connection to alcoholic beverages insofar as non-consensual sexual relations with insects are concerned. Alas, my hopes were in vain.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I don't like to create new topics if I don't have to. So, I was wondering, what is everyone's current stance on pool-sipping?

Quote Originally Posted by BlkDucky View Post
    I don't mind sipping really early game when there are no risks, but otherwise, yeah, proper precautions.
    This quote pretty much describes me, as I'm too chicken-shit to risk cursing/dooming myself (I'm not nearly good enough at ADOM to use those intrinsics as a challenge).
    If I have a character that I feel is doing well, I generally don't touch any pools I see. If I feel that the PC is nothing special and could go for a gamble, I sip away. It seems a lot of people here like to indifferently guzzle down every pool they see, mainly to get try to get Invis; Teleportitis; or wishes. While these are indeed very desirable to most, I'm still usually too afraid of the gamble in the end....

I was just wondering how everyone felt, because I currently have a level 12 Dark Elf archer that's coming along pretty well. I just happened by a pool in CoC:12, and wondered if I should throw caution to the wind, and hope for a positive intrinsic, or ignore it. Decisions, decisions. =|

I'll lap some pool water off the floor in the early game from time to time, either to mix it up or if I'm not too sure about the character. Otherwise I like to wait until I atleast I become the champion of the arena, then I'll sip off them pools all day until I get something that Ironcash's crave.

A note on the doomed/curse thing, I happened upon the fact that one of those statuses gives you random encounter after random encounter in the wilderness so is a good way to get a scum load of arrows. Then you can just pray your troubles away depending on your standing with your local god/dess