Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: W?reldbeker, World Cup, Weltmeistershaft; its coming, yet we debate colons?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I've got the feeling though that Germany vs Argentina will be the most exciting match of the competition. [..] It could easily go 4-4
    Hehe. Not exactly. The German team is awesome this year. I think they're going to win.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

and Germany did it again. Just beautiful.

As a brazilian i have to be happy that argentina lost. and by 4x0. =P

Maradona sucks, yey germany. I think the final will be netherlands x germany. Spain is going to beat paraguay but they are not a match for the precise machine that is the german team this year.

I think this German team plays the best soccer i've ever seen in my lifetime. I wasn't alive when Pele played but I still don't think that even the magical 1970 brazil had this much precision and teamwork.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Hehe. Not exactly. The German team is awesome this year. I think they're going to win.
    Well, I was 50% right

Germany look utterly unbeatable now. They are so incredibly well-organised, with such strength in defense and amazing speed and skill in offense. I don't see how either Spain or the Netherlands can hope to challenge them.

But, of course, predictions are only worth so much. We'll have to see which team truly is... The Weakest Link... (oh, wait, wrong tournament...)
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

When I think back to our last World Cup Final in 2002, in which we barely beat illustrious forces of football such as the US, South Korea or Paraguay to get our asses handed to us by a superior Brazil, based mostly on a brilliant Kahn to keep the clean slate and a superb Ballack to hit the one free kick during most of the KO round... We've come such a long way. I thought Germany was great in 2006, and I thought they were even a little better in 2008 - but this? It looks like orders of magnitude compared to even two years before. It was the best German team I have ever seen. In 2008, I didn't believe in Germany winning during the entire final against Spain, despite only one goal down, since Spain was so clearly superior and our attacking efforts so feeble, but this time I honestly think there is no team we can't beat, if we play like we did today.

We could even actually, like for reals really, win the World Cup. And for my generation, which hasn't really witnessed the 1996 Euro championship, but instead seen all too well the 1998 exit 3-0 versus Croatia and the dreadful group stage exits in both Euro 2000 and 2004, which has vivid memories of 1-5 beatdowns against both England and Romania, and at one time having to struggle for a last minute 2-1 victory over the friggin'Faroe Islands, this is so much sweeter. This must have been how people felt in the 70s, when players the level of Beckenbauer, Mueller, Netzer dominated. And lookie - we've got a new Mueller too!

Now whether we face Spain or Paraguay, I'm confident we can reach the finals. Exacting revenge over Spain for the Euro 2008 defeat would be great in any case. We don't have Mueller this time, but we've got a team, and in this WC that seems to make all the difference.

EDIT: I should add that I am much more afraid of Spain than I really was of Argentina or Brazil: Spain has actually went behind, even lost once in this WC. This means they should be better able to deal with it happening than Argentina or Brazil.
    Last edited by Silfir; 07-03-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Noooo! Germany have had enough world cup victories, time for someone new, fresh and non-German (I am Polish, so I might be a bit prejudiced in that regard ). I think that it is entirely possible that the German machine will be stopped - they have to get past Spain without Mueller and even if they do, they have already shown that they are beatable, while Netherlands is unbeatable so far and has shown against Brazil that even knocked down they will get up and knock the opposing team out.

However, if Germany were to win the competition, it would be a well-deserved victory after beating England, Argentina, Australia (which dominated Asian WC qualifications), Ghana, Spain and possibly Netherlands.

I gotta say that Paraguay showed incredible passion today. I actually believed that the game was over on the first penalty and Paraguay was going to beat spain. But the game didn't end there and it became one incredible battle until the end. Congratulations are due to Paraguay.... the hardest match for spain so far.

Right now, i think i would only be disappointed if spain won the title. I just... well.. i just don't like their football.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Oh and this!

Not only do I get a real kick out of watching our games, now there are people all over the world who are actually saying they enjoy watching us play

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

*bump*

The world cup is much more fun than global warming.

Some predictions (all utterly unfounded of course)

Ger - Spa 3 - 1
    Net - Ur 1 - 0 (I know my national team, they will rarely score more goals than strictly necessary to win )
    Ger - Net 4 - 2
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

*returns late to thread*

Well, first things first - Gyan's second penalty in the Uruguay Ghana match was perhaps the bravest thing I have ever seen on or in a sporting arena, and very well taken it was too, but damn - should have scored the first one... especially seeing as it turns out the rest of his team mates suck at penalties... truly incredible game, Ghana didn't really deserve what happened, Suarez is now a massive hero or villain, crazy shit

Second - the Germany game - missed it, at a wedding, had to settle for reading the live feed on the bbc site on my phone - torture, and subsequent replays... I think this cup is Germany's to loose quite frankly. Both Spain and het Nederlands are clearly capable of beating Germany, but I don't see it happening... a Germany Netherlands final would be awesome though

Bring on the semi's (prediction - the Dutch and the Germans to go through, no extra time required).

you went to a wedding instead of watching the game?
    And you call yourself a fan. I hope it was your wedding,
    that's the only acceptable excuse, and even then, just
    barely.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."