Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: W?reldbeker, World Cup, Weltmeistershaft; its coming, yet we debate colons?

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post
    (btw it's soccer, football is a totally different sport that other countries just have not seen the potential in)
    Why you gringos call local version of handball football is beyound me.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

(Can you really root for your team if you're not even watching?)

Now, let's say the rest of the world decided "baseball, that's a stupid name, we're going to call it boccer instead" - if the USA came sweeping down saying "We're the goddamn bigwigs of this sport and if we're calling it baseball by the gods the rest of the world is going to call it baseball" - I'd totally get that. It would be stupid to go past the US on this since they have played the world's very finest baseball for over a century.

Only, you see, the US are not the bigwigs of football. US (men's) football has been second class at best for ages. So no, you don't get to go out into the world and tell other people to call football soccer. If you were to win the Championship, that would be another story entirely. As long as that hasn't happened, there's not really any reason for the rest of the world to listen to you, right? (Except nuclear weapons, of course.)

I mean - American Football is a nice enough sport, but most of it isn't even played with the foot, for crissakes. You could call it "Throwball" or "Carryball" and be much closer to the actual game. Whereas association football is actually (almost) completely about using your feet, be it on the ball or against other players.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

i think there was some discussion a while back about removing
    the kicking part of football alltogether. kinda made sense to me.
    do you really want dozens of players to battle for about an hour,
    only to have the game decided by 1 guy and the wind?

anyhoo, foot-ball bores me. yet I'll still be mildly entertained
    for as long as it takes me to post snarks on these forums should
    the US manage to win whatever tourney you Euro's find so
    fascinating. honestly, I don't know why we haven't taken the US
    approach to this situation long ago. Just buy the world's best
    talent.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

@Silfir: Yeah, Green might well be looking for nice rocks right now, but the rest of the england team are just as much to blame for the result as he is - it was a terrible performance.

Heres hoping the Serbia game is better...

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post
    I'm not watching it but I'm gonna root for my home team.

GO U.S.A!!!!

(btw it's soccer, football is a totally different sport that other countries just have not seen the potential in)
    Yeah, yanks can call any sport what they want despite the whole world otherwise calling it football.

E: oh yeah, we lamers here call your football american football
    Last edited by moomoo; 06-13-2010 at 09:01 AM.

I dunno, I like an element of wild luck in a game. It allows for crazy comeback stories! And once you take out the last element of actual football out of the sport you're done claiming the name "football" for it for good if you ask me.

Interestingly enough, the US do have a history of getting the greatest talent of football to play in their league - once they're over 30 and looking for a good gig to retire. Franz Beckenbauer, David Beckham...
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

> you're done claiming the name "football"

I was done claiming any of the big 3 American sports by
    any name a couple of years ago. Baseball, foolsball, and
    basketball are all rather rigged in my opinion. They want
    MOAR FANZ at any cost, so they allow their stars to get by
    with any nonsense they please. They figure people won't
    notice, and they are sadly correct.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Well Serbia once more proved they are a force to be reckoned with in the "shooting themselves in the foot" stakes, whereas Germany did well in the more traditional "shooting the ball with the foot" stakes... The bad news for Serbia is they now have to hope that Ghana can't beat the Ozzies, and the Ozzies were frankly crap last night, defending like schoolboys rather than professionals... tesko situacija for sure.

Im brazilian and I have faith in this years team. But after seeing Germany playing i have to admit that those guys are playing an incredibly well adjusted game and they are going to be the toughest yet to beat.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Yeah the Germans do look good, but it's early days, and they are a very young team without Ballack to keep them cool - they will have to concentrate and work well together to keep on top of their game. Sadly for the other teams, concentrating and working well together are hallmarks of German football, but still - its definitely too early to start worrying about meeting Germany in the later stages - it was after all the socceroos they were playing.