Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: W?reldbeker, World Cup, Weltmeistershaft; its coming, yet we debate colons?

just so I know who I'm cheering for, what team is closest to USA,
    yet still has a snowball's chance?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Closest as in geographically?
    Err, the favourites in no particular order are Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina. So I guess you should be cheering for those Kentucky locals Brazil, although Brazil must be about 3000 miles away from Kentucky I should think...

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    just so I know who I'm cheering for, what team is closest to USA,
    yet still has a snowball's chance?
    There's Mexico! Its close to USA (if you mean't that, hehe) and has no chance in hell

Will we need to define some sort of probability scale?

If USA's chances of winning are similar to a whelk's chance in a supernova, then yeah, perhaps Mexico's chances of winning are snowballs in hell-esque...

By which I mean, Mexico are marginally more likely to win than USA are, but not very likely...

What's with that defeatist talk - at least cheer for your boys as long as they're still in! After that we can tell you which teams you're supposed to hate, and work from there.

For starters, there's France, which entered the championship by tricking the referee with an illegal goal. They started promisingly by scoring a dreadful goalless tie against mediocre Uruguay - if everything goes well we'll see them taken out in the group stage.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Of course I meant Geographically.

gO bRAziLLiarDS!

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Yeah the Germans do look good, but it's early days, and they are a very young team without Ballack to keep them cool - they will have to concentrate and work well together to keep on top of their game. Sadly for the other teams, concentrating and working well together are hallmarks of German football, but still - its definitely too early to start worrying about meeting Germany in the later stages - it was after all the socceroos they were playing.
    I remember watching the Europe cup in Germany, and Ballack was playing on Germany's team. And he sucked. I believe he was the worst player on the team, but everyone seemed to like him. But seriously, Ballack sucks.

Yeah, bullocks suck.

In unrelated news, this gal will be singing the US's team
    intro for the rest of our gamez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhD9k...eature=related

All opposing teams may as well forfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adom View Post
    I remember watching the Europe cup in Germany, and Ballack was playing on Germany's team. And he sucked. I believe he was the worst player on the team, but everyone seemed to like him. But seriously, Ballack sucks.
    Ignoring the fact that Ballack is an awesome playmaker and regular goal scorer for his county (42 goals from 98 appearances - that is a record many world class strikers would be proud of, let alone midfielders):
    A player like Ballack contributes a lot more to a teams performance than just kicking the ball. For teams to consistently play better than the sum of their parts, they need a commanding, well respected captain who everyone trusts.

It is too early to say whether the loss of Ballack will make a difference to Germany in this tournament - Germany have many regular goal scorers in Klose, Podolski, Schwiensteiger, who all scored a plurality of goals in Euro2008 (as did Ballack of course), but as the tournament progresses, experience and leadership become more significant, and the german squad is one of the younger sides in this tournament, certainly the youngest of the pre-tournament top 5 favourites. We shall see.

/Good luck Lahm
    //Lived in Germany once, guess they are my third team in the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Adom View Post
    Ballack is awesome and you're dumb.

I definitely agree that we'll sorely miss his great experience, though it should be kept in mind that both Podolski and Schweinsteiger have well over 70 caps (149 together) despite being aged only 25 and have played several big tournaments, so it's not like our term is filled with nothing but greenhorns. Still, it's a very young team - once the KO stage rolls around, I wonder how ?zil, M?ller, Khedira will deal with the pressure.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.