Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another ToEF thread

Default Another ToEF thread

I just attempted the ToEF for the first time. I thought I was pretty well prepared: I had 7 blessed fireproof blankets, and although I had no ring of ice, most of my equipment was either artifact or mithril or better metal. I magic map/teleported through the lower levels with no problem, losing only a cloak of defence and bracers of protection. The lesser mobs in the temple proper were no problem, falling to a couple of frost bolts. However the ACW ripped me to shreds with his magical attack.

A few questions if I may:

Can he see invisible? Would invisibility have helped in practice when he seems to shrug off all bolt spells?
    What is the best way to curse a potion of invisibility?
    Am I right in thinking that the only ways to disable him are a wand of paralysis or to blind him with a thrown potion?

Thanks gents.
    Loitering with intent to loiter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusKain View Post
    Can he see invisible? Would invisibility have helped in practice when he seems to shrug off all bolt spells?
    Am I right in thinking that the only ways to disable him are a wand of paralysis or to blind him with a thrown potion?
    -Yes, he can see invisible but most of the other monsters don't. So it helps but not with bolts.

-Use a cursed scroll of uncursing or a potion of unholy water.

-Arrows of thunder and darkness or a wand of stunning works too (and ventriloquism)

Unless you have a really good set of items, you should try to have an ACW Plan(tm) prior to facing him. It need not necessarily mean disabling him, but you usually need something so that he won't be able to hit you much. And you also need room to escape.

If you get into his line of fire, get close to him and don't keep track of escape routes, things can get hairy very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    -Use a cursed scroll of uncursing or a potion of unholy water.
    And how do I generate one of those? If I drop a potion of water on an altar to id it's status at that stage of the game it will be blessed. Or is it worth using an id scroll purely to find the status?
    Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    -Arrows of thunder and darkness or a wand of stunning works too (and ventriloquism)
    I tried a wand of stunning, and the stun ray spell, he shrugged them both. I'll remember the other two though, if I ever see any. Thanks.

And how do I generate one of those? If I drop a potion of water on an altar to id it's status at that stage of the game it will be blessed. Or is it worth using an id scroll purely to find the status?

I tried a wand of stunning, and the stun ray spell, he shrugged them both. I'll remember the other two though, if I ever see any. Thanks.
    The stun ray spell utterly owns the Wyrm. Complete pawnage. But it needs to be about effectivity level 6 or higher to do so - cast it for a few minutes in the wilderness before entering the Tower.

As for unholy water - definitely worth an ID scroll. Assuming you remember to bless the damn things, you will find way more ID scrolls than you need.

You can use a blessed ID scroll from time to time and it will identify all your items, including status. This will help you spot potions of unholy water (you can do this before dropping waters in altars).

Remember that you can dip a big stack of ID scrolls into a single holy water, so you needn't spend much water to be able to identify items regularly.

I just attempted the ToEF for the first time. I thought I was pretty well prepared: I had 7 blessed fireproof blankets, and although I had no ring of ice, most of my equipment was either artifact or mithril or better metal. I magic map/teleported through the lower levels with no problem, losing only a cloak of defence and bracers of protection. The lesser mobs in the temple proper were no problem, falling to a couple of frost bolts. However the ACW ripped me to shreds with his magical attack.

A few questions if I may:

Thanks gents.
    Sees invisible and sees darkness.... The main help from invisibilkity is to avoid most of fire creatures in temple.

The energy bolts of wyrm are linear so as long as you are not in line....

As cursing goes.... Easiest is to piss your diety to get desired stuff cursed. Or you can put bunch of invis pots in missile slot, unequip all other stuff and dance arround some hags... Lots of options honestly.

wand of paralysis has same chance to hit as stunning wand. Best is to zap them so they would hit enemy for extra time from bounce.

Assuming you have good Wi [around 40 with water orb] and spell effectivity [i would aim at 9 as wizard] Wyrm can surely be bolted to death. Best would be lightning bolt since you can bounce it of wall avoiding being in line of his energy shots.

Another thing is that Wyrms attack should not kill in single turn [unless char is very anemic] so use healing [orb if needed] and go on...

Wyrm is probably one of few really big fights in game and only one you would ever do at so low level.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Thrown pots of wonder or confusion will also confuse him, which is better than blindness generally. It's pretty rare to get to him without at least one disabling item just by happenstance.

Ball spells are generally better than bolt for this (and most, honestly) fights since ball spells can never be shrugged, and don't need to be in line of sight. Acid ball pretty much solves all of your problems in this game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Try dropping a potion of water on a non-aligned altar.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I did get pretty unlucky. I only got the Wand of stunning in terms of disabling items the whole game. My Wi wasn't as high as I'd like, about 30 including the orb, since I stupidly ignored the herbs in the big room while I pacified it, and by the time I'd finished all the herbs had gone. I tried using holy water to grow a square, but only managed to get two squares before I ran out.

I'll remember about stun ray though. I had never used it before the tower, so...

Thanks guys. Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm back there again, and I'll remember all this.