Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Necklace of the Eye frontend

I decided to try it, see how pretty it is now. I still don't like the idea of tiles, so I only checked out the "First Person ASCII" version, just because I was curious.

That looks... promising. Really. Maybe not as good as it should to be playable (more on that in the moment) but it has potential.

However, for now, first person perspective is unplayable. First of all:
    The controls. They just don't work as they should. I understand that in normal adom we see everything from above, but when I play from a certain perspective, I think I should face that direction I call "forward" and push the "up" arrow to go. This does not happen in that mode. Sometimes you fight monsters you don't see because you face a wall. Sometimes I couldn't move, because every direction was "wrong" and I couldn't see where am I. That kills the experience, but since it's an early stage of development, I hope it gets fixed soon.

Also, I looked at the tiles mode- I really recommend you changing the tone of the walls. They are practically the same color as the ground, and it makes the game look boring, while tiles should make ADOM exciting, at least to all those Al-Khwarizmi's friends

All in all, it's not that bad, and I hope that newer versions will be better and better

What's with the hate on Dwarf Fortress ASCII?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

funny, I was about to ask 'why the hate on baboon vomit'?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    funny, I was about to ask 'why the hate on baboon vomit'?
    you somehow loose grip in insults lately
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Irinka View Post
    The controls. They just don't work as they should. I understand that in normal adom we see everything from above, but when I play from a certain perspective, I think I should face that direction I call "forward" and push the "up" arrow to go. This does not happen in that mode.
    It should already work as you have described. (Up arrow on the numpad moves in the direction you are facing, Home and PgUp rotate by 45 degrees, etc.) I don't know why it does not for you. Maybe you are pressing wrong keys?

Sometimes you fight monsters you don't see because you face a wall. Sometimes I couldn't move, because every direction was "wrong" and I couldn't see where am I. That kills the experience, but since it's an early stage of development, I hope it gets fixed soon.
    Well, ADOM is designed with characters facing all directions, so there is no good way to solve that with FPP However, a "mini-map" which somehow displays the map of the whole level in a corner should help.

Also, I looked at the tiles mode- I really recommend you changing the tone of the walls. They are practically the same color as the ground, and it makes the game look boring, while tiles should make ADOM exciting, at least to all those Al-Khwarizmi's friends
    OK, I will try to change some colors...

Thanks!

(Up arrow on the numpad moves in the direction you are facing, Home and PgUp rotate by 45 degrees, etc.) I don't know why it does not for you. Maybe you are pressing wrong keys?
    that solves the mystery - I don't have numpad on my notebook, I used normal arrows. That must be the reason why it doesn't work.

Oh, almost forgot, one more thing - the "sky" or the "ceiling" - if the sky looks like the ground, it is NOT pretty. It looks confusing and also, awful. Sorry, but that detail should be in my opinion one of the first thing you should do to make that perspective seem more pretty.

I have uploaded the new version, with the minimap and ground tile changed. (BTW I also test on a laptop, simulating the keypad with Fn+key)

Sure, the unmatched ceilings look bad. However, fixing this would require some ADOM-specific programming, and I want to avoid that (I want to keep it simple). All what Necklace of the Eye draws is based on the character used by ADOM to represent something. So, it cannot say whether something is outdoors or indoors. So I don't think it is something I want to fix.

So I don't think it is something I want to fix.
    do as you wish. Those things that I pointed out are not my wish list - I just wanted to be helpful and give you some advice

I've been using this as of late to play ADOM Sage with Windows 7, as well as play Doom the Roguelike, and it functions wonderfully as a console replacement. Full screen with proper colors and everything.

The 3D and tile sets are still pretty lacking. (thankfully it's easy to turn them off) It'd be cool to see someone put a bit of work into it and make a really cool graphical front end. I always thought the Avernum games handled isometric "tiles" really well... much prettier and simpler than Falcon's Eye.

*enters late*

I tried tilesets in both Dwarf Fortress and Crawl, just out of curiousity, and went back to ASCII in both - I just find all the information easier to process in ASCII - people in the DF forums are always complaining that without tilesets they can't tell their goats from their goblins or whatever, but all the creature tiles look too similar for me anyway, and I find the tiled screen horrendously cluttered.

Clearly, I am an ASCII fan, and this program is not for me . YMMV.