Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Necklace of the Eye frontend

Default Necklace of the Eye frontend

Hi,

My frontend which can change how ADOM and other text roguelikes look:

Necklace of the Eye

I think things like this are the reason ADOM will never be a 3D game.. it looks pretty .. terrible from those screenshots, it doesn't need 3D to be a way better game than any of the new fancy graphics and apparently "new 3D" games (haven't we had 3D games since like duke nukem 3D?), and making a 3d version of ADOM that looks any good would take some serious effort..

It looks like you have created a fun thing, but ADOMers
    are prolly amongst the most fanatical ASCII lovers in
    the world. I don't even think I have the tile version of
    crawl on my HD, and it'is supposed to be the best of
    the field. Maybe I'll get an experimenting itch one day
    though, so it'll be nice to have it in case I do.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I have and enjoy the tile crawl but mostly because of the mouse support.

While it doesn't look very appealing, I do have to admit that it is pretty innovative of you to come up with this. With some tweaking, I could see it looking a little better and attracting some nicer attention.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Does not seem to work for me. It does not switch to graphics to be exactly.

How sad...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'm also an ASCII lover (although I play crawl with tiles due to the mouse support, like fazisi). But I do think these initiatives are useful. Not for us, but for the potential roguelike players that don't want to play due to ascii.

Several times I have recommended ADOM to people and they have refused to play due to it being a "freaky ASCII game". If this mod could get a larger tileset (with pictures of kobolds and so on), it would get easier to get newbies into ADOM.

Eh... a part of me would die if I were to try that out.

Al-Khwarizmi : recommend your friends tiles version of crawl then and tell us what they say.... this version of adom is, from what I see in the screenshots on the website, not very hm.... pretty? Are those green blobs in "tension room 3d" kobolds? Because green blobs are rarely seen in tension rooms, but that's totally how those monsters there look like.

But to be constructive and not only criticize: if you want the dungeon look like it has a corridor and walls, make the color difference more visible. Because dark gray and still-dark-but-not-so-much gray do not work in my opinion.

I have recommended POWDER (which has tiles) to them and some of them have played. A subset of these have then played ADOM, others were still discouraged by the ASCII.

I agree with you that it doesn't look pretty at the moment, but I understand that it is using a generic tileset, which is incomplete and not adapted to ADOM. I suppose it should look better with a specific tileset.

Yes, I also prefer ASCII, and ADOM is designed to be played in ASCII mode, so I don't think it is something which an ASCII fan would prefer. (Although note that as far as I know it is very hard to make roguelikes in Vista look like I want, i.e., just like they looked in DOS, and NotEye also provides that.) And roguelike are tactically designed to be viewed from above, not from FPP. So 3D mode is probably not very playable.

Still, I think doing things like this is fun. Also, I think it is possible to improve this to a level which will allow those who cannot stand ASCII (but can stand tiles) to play ADOM.