Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Necklace of the Eye frontend

Just as Dogbreath said, NotEye and its earlier version (cons2tcod) are useful for ASCII lovers, for their ability to display roguelikes correctly (which is quite hard on modern operating systems, especially Windows Vista and newer). The tileset for ADOM is just a demo, nobody seems interested enough to create a more complete tileset. But DoomRL in first person perspective is quite nice IMHO, and Hydra Slayer has a complete and original tileset. I see lots of improvements that could be added to NotEye, but I don't see enough interest to implement them.

I like it... I might even download it one of these days. But I think it's really cool conceptually to be able to play adom in the first person view, and I see how with a lil work on the tile sets it could help bring some new followers into adom!

Good job, and keep up the nice work

A bit of thread revival...

I know Thomas coded ADOM with PDCurses, so I plugged a GCU port for my Angband variant using PDCurses to try the Necklace of the Eye frontend on this RL. It's quite easy to plug a new RL in NotEye (even with no effort if you use the basic tileset), and the result is... interesting.

Tile mode: PWMAngband has some available tilesets (from 8x8 to 32x32, even 64x64 in the forthcoming version), so this mode is not really relevant

FPP mode: I like this... makes me feel I play Wolfenstein3D or DOOM (PWMAngband is a real-time RL by the way...) -- I bet DoomRL feels awesome in this mode

Isometric view: nice, but it has a few problems; the controls are bound to the view, so you need to get used pressing '3' to go east, '7' to go west and so on; and the southern/eastern walls are not 'transparent', so features/monsters/objects are hidden when located near S/E walls

Unfortunately, NotEye has a major problem that makes it unusable for me: the keypress system. Seems to me that it has been hardcoded to be usable only on QWERTY keyboards. I have to press 'a' for 'q', ctrl doesn't seem to do anything...
    You feel excited. You die.

NotEye 5.2 fixes the Isometric view: now you actually press '6' to go east and so on...
    But still can't play with it due to the wrong key mapping

Too bad that I have found this after saying that no updates are expected soon...

Anyway, I think I have fixed the non-qwerty layouts in Windows in 5.7. I hope NotEye works now
    Last edited by Zeno; 07-22-2012 at 06:44 PM.

This is awesome!
    By the way, the music sounds stangely familiar...

Another good reason to go pledge for ADOM 1.2 revival, because this will make graphic lovers happy...

Thanks!

The website shows where the music is from. It is possible that some other roguelikes also used it (that's what it was created for).
    See Necklace of the Eye: interface enhancements for ADOM and other roguelikes!