Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weapon for an wizard (DE)

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    I often end up using maces, axes, daggers, even swords... Actually, pretty much the only weapon/missile class I very rarely train beyond level 6 is staves...
    What about whips? :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

True, staff of the magi is not the same as staff of the archmagi. Whoops.

I also think spear+shield is overrated, and anyway it's fun to use different kind of weapons. I tend to use the best weapons that come my way, with roleplaying criteria also playing a role (heh). I do use and like staves, some are not so bad (quicksilver quarterstaff). I think the only melee weapon class that I have never used seriously is whips.

I did seriously use whips in 1.0.0. BUGWIL would get
    De:99, and then whips would do ~70 flat damage.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    What about whips? :P
    Fair enough, yeah. I always keep the best whip I have found in my inventory, but usually only for bondage.

If there was an artifact whip available (Snakeskin, a poisonous 1d40 whip dropped by the Snake from Beyond's reincarnation which inhabits a temple with a special room effect which would make your PC doomed upon entry perhaps?) I would definitely use them sometimes. Just cos they are cool, but I hate having my only weapon being destroyed by a lightning lizard. Staves on the other hand... plenty of robust staves, but without Ron Jeremy's staff of penetration, I just don't bother.