View Poll Results: Are you interested in iADOM?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

30 29.41%
  • I'm not sure.

11 10.78%
  • No!

46 45.10%
  • Only if it's available for the iPhone too.

15 14.71%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM - how big is your interest?

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > ha ha, iPads suck cos you can't play any of the classic roguelikes from the previous century on them

That made me laugh : )

Oh yeah, angelus already told me that calling him a troll
    is just an 'internet argument', so that makes him not a
    troll. Somehow. Just figured I'd pass that along.
    I know, but i hoped that the sight of boxxy might compel him to realize that we don't care about his opinion and go back to /b/

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Clearly jochen and thomas do not hate apple products
    I guess it's good for developers, because people now have a new product and they want to buy games for it. And they buy like anything, old classics and anything that looks like a game. It's a heaven for developers who just want to make money out of minimum effort.

and if they can make some money out of iADOM, all power to them
    What do you care if Dr. Mario gets more money?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    what the fuck do you care? arent you that guy who kept bitching about how you needed the source code? you seem like a douche

Quote Originally Posted by dallonj View Post
    what the fuck do you care?
    I'm a game developer myself and I like roguelike games. So I care a lot about these things.

arent you that guy who kept bitching about how you needed the source code?
    I don't need it, I already have two source codes I'm working on. For roguelike players open source ADOM would be really good news. TB is just an ass. He doesn't care about players and fans of ADOM a bit. He just wants money from iADOM. Well, let him have it if that's what he wants so much.

I'm a game developer myself
    Then you know that creating/testing/porting a game is a lot of effort. I've done all my work on ADOM for free in my spare time. And iADOM is more about the challenge than about the money. We could even release it for free, you know!?
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Quote Originally Posted by j.t View Post
    Then you know that creating/testing/porting a game is a lot of effort. I've done all my work on ADOM for free in my spare time. And iADOM is more about the challenge than about the money. We could even release it for free, you know!?
    I was just gonna mention that releasing it for jailbroken iOS wouldn't require payment, but didn't know if you guys considered it or not.

Surely someone will provide a cracked version of iADOM once it's available (happened to BattleDuel after about a week), so I don't think we have to do that ourselfs.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Err, I am beginning to see why some people think you are a troll.

Dude, you are the one who seems to be upset by the possibility of Thomas making some money, whereas much as I respect the Creator for having made a brilliant computer game, he seems to be doing quite well in life as far as I can tell, and is not in danger of starvation, so I really don't care one way or the other. If iADOM brings the computer games industry to its knees, makes billions, and allows Thomas to buy out Apple, leading to a iPAD-lead ASCII renaissance, which in turn inspires many more independent developers to release ASCII based games as cool as ADOM 2.1, Dwarf Fortress 1.0, and JADE 0.5, then that's cool. Or, if iADOM is released for free and is downloaded by just 15 apple lovers who are so inspired by the game that this forum gets a couple of extra members contributing regularly to the TH debate, then that's cool too.

Lighten up man.

Angelus, you're either trying to troll this forum or you have a serious problem with reality. There is this "Thomas not releasing the source code makes him a douche" position, then there is "Thomas is offering up iADOM for money, therefore all he cares about is the money".

The first position is pretty damned ludicrous and only has a point from a very free-and-open-software-minded viewpoint. Yes, there are people out there who might potentially learn a thing or two from Thomas' source code, and his refusal to release it prevents this from happening. Does that make Thomas a douche? Possibly, if you follow a code of beliefs that champions the open source cause over any individual considerations, and you extend that code of beliefs to anyone else regardless of whether they follow these beliefs or not. So it makes about as much sense as a fundamentalism-minded muslim calling a western culture Christian woman a whore. The mistake you're making is assuming that free-and-open-software is, or should be, the champion cause of every software maker in the world. That mindset may be majority opinion in certain circles, it isn't around here. You can express this opinion of course, though it might be prudent to replace "Thomas is an ass" with "Thomas does a disservice to the free-and-open-software movement".

The second one - Thomas does iADOM only to extort money out of his loyal fans. This one is indefensible. There isn't enough money in the equation. Maybe enough will roll in to halfway justify the work Thomas and Jochen will be putting into iADOM itself, but that still leaves the fact Thomas created, worked on and maintained the original ADOM for years, without compensation, and that he could do a million things that would make more money than a portable device ADOM release. Not to forget that the features the fans he is supposedly trying to extort for money are clamoring for - bugfixes - will be released for the PC as well, and ADOM will always be free.

Angelus, you're not doing yourself or the roguelike game you're developing any favors, really. You use every opportunity you see, however ridiculous, to slam Thomas - and try to promote your own roguelike game at the same time. "My game is open source", "My game has very well written code", "My game is not sold for money and will always be free" - Curiously enough, this will cause people in here to care less about your game, not more. Maybe it's all an issue of envy - you can't bear the fact that ADOM is more successful than your game is. The way you're acting it appears you are all too happy to have it remain that way.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yes, he visits the free forum that TB provides, uses TB's forum to spam TB's
    roguelike enthusiasts with his game ads, then gripes about TB persuing $

Perhaps if he didn't consider money a four letter word, he might be able to provide
    a forum for his own game.

Perhaps if he didn't behave like a social retard, people here might even visit it.

TB is losing money on ADOM. Servers aren't free, bandwidth isn't free, vBulletin
    isn't free. If they can make enough $ to compensate for porting it to iStuff, I'd
    be surprised.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."