View Poll Results: Are you interested in iADOM?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

30 29.41%
  • I'm not sure.

11 10.78%
  • No!

46 45.10%
  • Only if it's available for the iPhone too.

15 14.71%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM - how big is your interest?

Default iADOM - how big is your interest?

I hope Thomas doesn't mind... I started this poll with the intention to check how many of you are really interested in the creation of iADOM. ADOM is a very complex game which probably doesn't appeal to the "casual" gamer that only wants to shoot zombies/cut fruits for a few minutes while waiting for the bus.

Even if you get the interface "right" (the port of BattleDuel to the iPhone shows me that even a very reduced interface might be too complex for the "casual" gamer), there probably will be enough people criticizing the graphics (what, only ASCII-text?) and the lack of sound. I fear the target audience of iADOM would be restricted to a very small group of people (only the "hard core" ADOM players having an iPad).

Personally, I think the iPad is a very cool gaming platform and the first alpha versions of iADOM work quite well.

So, what's your opinion?
    Last edited by jt; 07-11-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Games such as Dwarf Fortress (Penny Arcade-endorsed, among other things) have raised the ASCII tolerance of a lot of players. I've gotten several comments and subscribers on Youtube to the effect of "Cool, this looks a lot like Dwarf Fortress". As far as I can see from other forums, ADOM is still the third most popular roguelike after Dwarf Fortress and Nethack (big forums such as those of OotS have very popular ADOM Let's play threads, for instance), and this after an eight year lull in updates. Both Dwarf Fortress and Nethack offer tilesets, however, and the same goes for the iPhone and iPad roguelikes already in existence (Powder, Nethack adaptations, Rogue Touch). In other words, ADOM does appear to be the most popular roguelike which does not offer a tileset. So if there's one ASCII-only roguelike that could work out on the iPad, it's ADOM.

Well, anyway... I don't own an iPad and never will, so an honest answer would be "no". But I think, especially if you include the Dwarf Fortress crowd, there is a definite overlap between "iPad owner" and "Might be interested in roguelikes".
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

> iADOM - how big is your interest?

Ipad - how big is my interest?

zero
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

There's alpha versions already? I suppose just for your enjoyment, Jochen?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I personally find the idea of iADOM laughable and can not understand at all why TB wishes to spend any time on it. But then I find most of Apples products laughable.

For one, I don't see why I would need a >500$ phone. Also, I already have a laptop that can do a whole lot more that the overprized, locked-down iPad (wake me up when I can install Linux on it... without voiding the warranty, of course) I mean, their products look nice, but thats about it.

@Grey: I bet he's also been testing JADE for years now
    Now thats something I want.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Ack, what would we do if JADE was released as iPad exclusive?! (just trying to scare people)
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    There's alpha versions already? I suppose just for your enjoyment, Jochen?
    Well, I have a fully playable version on my iPad. This is not surprising since I'm the one who has done most of the development work in this respect. But the game is not really enjoyable yet, it will probably take some time to create a user friendly interface.

As for JADE, no, I don't have access to it. Only saw it live for a few times. Since JADE is programmed in Java there is no way to run it on an iPhone/iPad. And I seriously doubt Thomas has any interest in rewriting all of the code in Objective C.
    Last edited by jt; 07-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

In all fairness to the iPad, its viability or lack thereof is definitely not tied to its ability to run a Linux OS. And this thread really, really shouldn't be used to pour on the hate on the iPad, justified or not. Whoever out here owns an iPad: It's okay. If you're going to buy iADOM as a consequence once it is released, that more than makes up for it! We love you! Just get in here and say so!

I don't think this forum will provide particularly reliable figures. The "hardcore" crowd is naturally overrepresented because you have to be pretty crazy to regularly visit, let alone post in, a forum about a computer role-playing game eight years after its last release, JADE updates or not. Again, ADOM may have fallen asleep, but roguelikes are still as fashionable as ever thanks to Dwarf Fortress.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I don't think this forum will provide particularly reliable figures. The "hardcore" crowd is naturally overrepresented
    Exactly, and I always thought these hardcore players would be "crazy" enough to even buy an iPad to play their favorite roguelike game!?

If I were to buy an iPad, I would almost certainly get iAdom with it. As to the whole getting the iPad, part, well, we'll see. My wife really likes the idea of the iPad, so that may influence my decision a bit

I think I, like probably many of the players here, are more excited about the possibility of a forthcoming update to ADOM itself than about being able to port ADOM to a different platform.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.