Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolutionism vs creationism

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    if there are no dogs in heaven, I don't wanna go
    So what? You wouldn't get there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    People who claim that you can have morality and not have God are missing the point. If there is a God and he has ordered this universe to suit himself then his notion of Morality would permeate this universe and while member of the cration may not recognize the creator they would still behave to a certain extent after the moral code he established and think it was them being good occasionally
    OTOH, what if there truly was no god and people just realized that all in all it's good to have morality (in the long term)? That morality exists doesn't mean that god exists.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    You should seek psychiatric help.
    How's that news?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    No. U will suffer anyway - its your deep old instincts and they can make you crazy. Soldiers, whose conscience should be pure by mean of conventional logic, have a huge psychological problems after they war is gone.
    Conventional logic? You know, maybe they started to question the war, but by the time they did so were unable to do anything about it? Maybe they think that what they are doing is unjust, but feel that they have to do it anyway? Not sure what that has to do with instincts.
    Or something else. Don't use soldiers please for your religious ramblings.

Also note that I don't say god doesn't exist. I just *believe* that he doesn't exist, mostly because of this:

EDIT: Oh and yay, this thread is growing to epic proportions.
    Last edited by Epythic; 08-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

If you can confirm a power by experiment, it's not a supernatural power anymore
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

> You should seek psychiatric help.

Indeed, I'd definitely seek THEM out first

> U will suffer anyway - its your deep old instincts and they can make you crazy.

Maybe we have different insticts. Maybe we just nurture them
    differently. If you have such problems with killing humanoids,
    I'd suggest starting with something small and non-mammal.
    Fishies are great, as they can't even wince. Next, move up to
    small mammals such as squirels, then procede to slaying deer
    or some other large mammal with big round eyes. Don't worry,
    as all that is legal. I'd recommend shooting the corpses a few
    times after they are dead for further desensitization. Only
    when you can cheerfully slay pandas or other endangered species
    at the zoo should you try humanoids.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Epythic, I don't think xkcd is a valid proof for an argument.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

> Don't use soldiers please for your religious ramblings
    No religion at all - only pure reasonings

> Maybe we have different instincts
    As stupid 'House MD' says - having differ from conventional instincts is a kind of disaster. To lie to steal and to kill is so unusual to human nature, that doing it makes Ur heart beat faster and Ur palms sweat. Polygraph and some methods of interrogation exist and work. And there are not only moral (religion, law) norms, that makes Ur feel ill. Then U see a crying baby on the snow, U will save him, no matter how much U are afraid of humans. Then U commit a crime U will think about it again and again, just because it's an unusual experience to U. And while U R thinking Ur instincts will take the control, and make U suffer.

> to kill is so unusual to human nature, that doing it
    > makes Ur heart beat faster and Ur palms sweat

not after the first few times

> Then U see a crying baby on the snow, U will save him

of course I would, freezing makes it chewy

> it's an unusual experience to U

sure

> not after the first few times
    anal sex is also painful only first few times...

not for a corpse

Let's toss in some more spam to keep the flamewar going.

The idea that the exact sciences can explain everything reminds me a bit of this image.

We didn't know much before we started doing science and we still don't know much now..
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    Epythic, I don't think xkcd is a valid proof for an argument.
    No but it conveys my argument in a fairly understandable way, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    > Don't use soldiers please for your religious ramblings
    No religion at all - only pure reasonings
    Pure reasonings? May I see some sources now, please? Because all that stuff you said is not pure logic. It might be true, but to believe that I'd like to see some data first.

> Maybe we have different instincts
    Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    As stupid 'House MD' says - having differ from conventional instincts is a kind of disaster. To lie to steal and to kill is so unusual to human nature, that doing it makes Ur heart beat faster and Ur palms sweat. Polygraph and some methods of interrogation exist and work. And there are not only moral (religion, law) norms, that makes Ur feel ill. Then U see a crying baby on the snow, U will save him, no matter how much U are afraid of humans. Then U commit a crime U will think about it again and again, just because it's an unusual experience to U. And while U R thinking Ur instincts will take the control, and make U suffer.
    Different instincts are a disaster? Not so sure. Why shouldnt they be beneficial?
    Lying/... is unusual to human nature? I think you are confusing human nature with what you have been thought from early on. Its trained, and I bet it can be trained away too. (Only slightly related, heres a very very good book (non-fictional). Seriously; I read it and it is very well written.)
    Committing a crime can have very serious consequences. It's only natural to think about things that can affect your life in very significant ways. OTOH, if you for example write a masters thesis you will likely think a lot about it around submission time.
    And again @lying: its not a trivial thing, sure, because after a lie you now have to remember and keep apart *two* versions of "reality". And usually if you make a mistake something bad happens. Doesnt mean that you cant train lying.
    I just dont see what it has to do with human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    We didn't know much before we started doing science and we still don't know much now..
    No, but "science" basically means "make as few assumptions you can't prove as possible".
    The existence of a god seems like a pretty big assumption to me.
    But even if we assumed that there was a god -- all that stuff that is, for example, in the bible makes for a lot of even bigger assumptions.

And I am too lazy again to errorcheck my post.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/