Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Klarki's necromancer

Default Klarki's necromancer

Hello

It's not my first post but I haven't properly introduced myself yet I play adom from quite a few years already (almost 10 perhaps). Not continuously, off course! I had quite long breaks but I do have a comeback once in a while. Now is one of my comebacks. I haven't ever won the game yet, but I got fairly far, I think. One of my characters did ToEF and MT only to be vanquished in D49 (or D50, that was a long time ago). Anyway, this thread is about my new necromancer, Nexar. Maybe you'll give me some bits of advice on possible next moves for him.

Nexar, lvl 17 human necromancer, N+

I've already played on him for a while, which means I'm slowly getting to an area of the game I'm not too familiar with (as opposed to the few starting dungeons I know fairly well thanks to all my unsuccessful characters

So. Lets go back to the beginnings. His first kill was a ... goblin ... which is bad, isn't it? Oh well, another stupid mistake (by now Nexar has 32 goblins killed). He did the healers quest, learned Pickpocketing, explored the puppy dungeon and the village dungeon, and went to CoC. There was a grey altar there as well as a pool. I've never got a single wish by that time so I thought "what the hell, I'll drink it, maybe I'll get lucky". Doomed - that's what I got. But fortunately there was that grey altar there so I'd just sit there, waiting for mobs to come, hoping to get chaotics, sack them, rinse and repeat. Occasionally I'd go forward trying to lure a mob to the altar. Then a dark elven wizard popped, and summoned scores of Tarantulas and retreated somewhere far out of sight. Damn the Tarantulas are annoying, especially when I wouldn't melee them and my only option was magic. I was fairly fortunate in getting 2 books of Lightning Bolt and one with Burning Hands. So after a looong fight, many retreats to regain mana, many many castings, I finally got that elven wizard cornered and dealt with. That left the dungeon practically all covered with webs, my spellbook was drained a bit, but at least I was alive. A few dozens lifesacks more I felt a terrible gloom being lifted from me, so I felt like venturing deeper. I found 2 herb levels, with morgia root and moss of morellion, harvested them for a while, and started stat training. One herb level got totally infested by white worms, I had to shut them down with a door, closing my access to the herb room, but at least I had access to the up and down stairway and they didnt. I could have blasted them to oblivion with magic but I didn't feel like wasting all the charges it would take. I got to dwarftown, did shopping, sell all my sis to waldenbrook, got quests from the chief (kill a displacer beast, hey, couldn't I get a rat?). At this point I felt like going back to Lawenilotehl to do some training at the Thief's guild and doing the dwarven graveyard. By that time I had a dagger of penetration, a good orcish dagger, a good shield, amulet of rapid healing, DV - PV was like 40 - 12 maybe. So I did the training, did the dwarven graveyard pickpocketing every single undead with pockets on the way. The named dwarven undead (can't remember his name) turned out to be a very difficult opponent - I thin he got me as low as 1HP! But I had means of saving myself. I had alread teleport control back then (got lucky with blink dogs. and I had a scroll of teleport so I just waved the undead goodbye and blinked to heal myself. On my next attempt on him I was more careful and I started blasting him with Lightning Bolts when he still was far away. I went much smoother this way, I think he died few turns after getting to me. Nonak was a wimp, one or two Burning Hands and he fell. I took elemental gauntlets and sword of Nonak from the grave and read a blessed scroll of identify to check all the stuff I picked up/pickpocketed.

A ring of djinni summoning!

Wow! My first wish ever! Damn it felt good to summon that djinni I choosed AoLF. On my way back to CoC I did the piramid, cleared the top level using a potion of invisibility. In CoC I sort-of pacified the cavernous level - I digged the two columns on the right with a wand of digging, dragged a dark elven priestess and a wererat there, waited for them to summon some company and sealed them shut with a wand of door creation and a Magic Lock spell. The few remaining monsters that was still generating I pacified with Calm Monster spell. I spent a while there harvesting the herbs, did the remaining quests in Dwarftown safe the last one with the demon - in the ogre cave I found a few ogre corpses so I ate devil daisy to get sick and raise my strenght level (was 18 by the time). Because of that, I was hit to 1HP again by one of the Ogres, fortunately I didn't die.

D:10 there was a lesser vault with _random_ mobs but fortunately there wasn't anything too dangerous. I did get a few cats, trying to outrun them was very annoying (I still haven't killed a single cat, I'm trying to get that ring)

So I went on, saved Khelavaster, got book of Teleport (yay), went even deeper, through the graveyard, to the water temple, which is where I am now.

I got corrupted on my way - Unholy Aura - that's bad, isn't it? My stash with most valuable items is in the Ogre level in Dwarftown - I guess I can't go back there now or they'll attack me, won't they?

Talents that I choose are: Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter, Long Stride, Quick, Very Quick, Greased Lightning
    Notable spells I have: Lightning Bolt, Burning Hands, Acid Ball, Frost Bolt, Magic Missle, Destroy Undead, Calm Monster, Teleport

I have a girdle of giant strenght, which gets me to 31 Strenght, elven chain mail [0,+5], dagger of penetration, eternium dagger, sword of nonak

I don't have any ways of going invisible, safe for the few pots of invisibility I picked up.

I haven't yet done the SMC or UD, I wait for a way of going invisible before going there.

Sounds very promising. Don't worry about no invis right now, for the water temple, the best tip any one can give you, is: Darkness, by spell, scroll or crystal. A wee patch of darkness and your dagger of penetration = water orb in pocket. Invis definitely muchos usefulness for the ToEF though..

I do have Darkness in my spellbook! I forgot to mention that - that's how I went through the forest used darkness every three steps forward

Some other nice stuff I have - blessed amulet of rapid healing, waterproof blanket, 2xfireproof blanket, ring of fire, ring of ice, elemental gauntlets, ankh, ancient mummy wrappings, loads of arrows, Moon Sickle.

EDIT - also I have a climbing set

It takes time for me to recall all the things I picked up, I have no access to the game to check it because I'm at work I will post more detailed info when I get back.

I found a scroll of danger and sold it to Waldenbrook - it might come in handy if I choose to go for the ultra ending...
    Last edited by klarki; 04-10-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Nexar, 17 Necromancer

Str 19(31)
    Le 18
    Wi 22
    De 27
    To 23
    Ch 2(1)
    Ap 16
    Ma 24
    Pe 14

DV/PV: 54/15

Daggers 9
    Swords 6
    Bows 4
    Shields 7

HP: 180 PP: 151

Standing at the entrance to the water temple at the moment (D: 20)

I have 2 potions of cure corruption in the inventory, I think I'll bless them and sip them to get rid of the unholy aura.

I've found a ring of damage and I have a feeling it increases food consumption when worn - is that true?

Burning Hands : 239, P+16
    Lightning Bolt : 737, P+17
    Magic Missle : 509, P+8
    Teleport : 366, P+4
    Acid Ball : 255, P+3

I'm currently Lightning Bolting my way towards the snake from beyond

Looks like this is going well. With lightning bolts that powerful, you should check out darkforge soon. But take the girdle off so it doesn't burn.

Ring of damage does not increase food consumption. It increases the damage that your melee attacks do.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Temple of water cleared. Found eternium shield and eternium halberd. Lightning Bolt charges lowered to 555, effectivity increased to P:+20

First I killed every mob outside the temple using Lightning bolts, then I entered the temple, cast Darkness and killed the elementals, demons and SfB in melee. Thanks for the Darkness tip - it worked like charm muahahaha. I fell a dozen times to a pit in the darkness though. Ouch.

The potions of cure corruption I wrote about turned out to be ... potions of cure poison ... *facepalm*

I'll try to get back to my stash with cure corruption pots in the ogre level below Dwarftown. I'll use invisibility potion so that the town won't go hostile and teleport immediately after entering.

I went to DH:2 and read a scroll of familiar summoning. A greater earth elemental appeared. I wonder how strong it is ... It's ability to pass through walls seems to be handy - it shouldn't get confused and lost in the corridors.