Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: The Rules

Let's try for some clarification - good idea to challenge me on that

First of all, with every case of overplay the next player only plays until the 2000 mark, i. e. less than 2000 turns effectively. This is indeed vital for easy tracking in my book. It isn't unfair to the overplayer - he overplayed due to his own carelessness - and certainly not to his successor. To the rest of the league? Not really - both players have played 4000 turns in total if both players survive, which is the normal situation. If either of the players died it doesn't matter how many turns it took for them.

I don't think there's a need to clarify that minor overplays won't be punished. I should probably point out that the game should be passed on at the earliest possible turn once the 2000 mark has been reached - if overplay happens because an action that went over several turns was taken then that's fine. Anyway there won't be repercussions if someone overplayed involuntarily. I doubt we'll see 50 turns overplay, much less in significant amounts.

Overplay and longer and shorter turns only become an issue in relation to the "always descend one level" rule. Simply enough, players cannot overplay in order to reach the next level. If you aren't one level lower after 2000 turns, you fail. I think that one is clear.

To ensure total fairness, it must also be made clear that the player whose turn is technically shortened because of the "play until the next 2k mark" instruction still has 2000 turns to descend one level. In other words, as long as he hasn't descended as demanded he doesn't need to stop at the 2k mark, but is allowed to play the full 2000 turns or until he has descended.

So in other words, if you overplay 20 turns, you still must have spent at least 20 of those turns on the new level. And your successor only has to play 1980 turns, but has the full 2000 to go to the next level (where he must stop at the 2k mark - not that he'll complain).

As I said, only malicious or extremely negligent - as in, significantly unfair to the other players negligent - overplay would be punished.

As to competitive and non-competitive play... Of course it's a Grey area, Grey invented the rule . There's a difference between bad strategy and competitive playing. We don't demand that players use the best strategy possible; everyone can certainly play as they are used to. With the Abyss rule in place the whole competitive/non-competitive thing becomes less important anyway; there's only a limited amount of competitive tactics that are mean enough to help, but not mean enough to risk one's being cast to the Abyss. What we don't allow is deliberate bad play for competitive reasons, and we don't have a mind probe at our disposal, as much as that would be a toy I'd like to try out myself.

Moving down that quickly is not the best strategy (arguably it's a pretty horrid one). But we have to allow for a scope of freedom for the players. They should play to the best of their abilities, but everyone makes mistakes or follows unsound strategies (some less often than others of course), and they should be able to do everything they decide to do in order to survive. And we can never account for the things that happen. It might well be that a player has to climb down ten levels in one turnset because while he was planning to descend maybe four levels, he had to flee from really dangerous shit starting from the fourth and ended up there by accident. I don't know all the circumstances in your example. It's going to be very hard to prove or properly find indication that he descended that fast with competitive intent.

The second case is more problematic. I'd have to take a look at the character to judge it properly. If the player in question had lots of other stuff he could've thrown away instead or could've eaten the rations with little trouble, that's negative points (and there's lots of stuff I'd throw away before the large rations have to go...). If he really does rely a lot on speed because he runs and shoots people all the time and needs the distance inbetween, I'm more inclined to believe it, especially if the character in question has many other kinds of food handy. Another case anything but clear-cut...

Certainly if there were protest from other members of the league I'd investigate both of these cases.

There are so many playstyles around that it will be very hard to pin any of this down. Thankfully the early periods of the competition will be less tense, and in the later ones where the major decisions are made will be under chaotic influence anyway...

I don't like unclearly defined rules either, believe me.
    Last edited by Silfir; 04-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Moving down that quickly is not the best strategy (arguably it's a pretty horrid one).
    Horrid? Let's imagine - I open league play with semi bearable char [think league Mana last year after gut finding his trap].
    I drive char to I12 [with a bit luck maybe deeper] in my 2K+slight overplay
    How many competitors i will have before getting char back? i'd guess less than half.

Okay, i will write down about horrors i met... But you know me, and know ID. There is very few things i would run away at ID<7...

Honestly i was tempted to do so last year... Well, that was slightly above mu nastiness but not by much...

Okay, i'd give you easier sample -- I play with some delven class which starts with hand crossbow. On my turn [2K to 4k] i met black hurthling. Well, i know hurthling quarrels fit hand crossbow. I know in my normal game i would milk it for 20+ ammo. On other hand i know it will be five-six guys after me. These quarrels do break easily so i will likely see none while enhancing other guys survival rate. So no way i would molk that poor black hobbit.
    That clearly gives me edge and that is just, okay, right?

It is not that i would question rules... I feel funny about position *there are no gray ares*, or someone believing there is clear distinction between competitive non competive tactics...

So there is a clear question:
    Which tactics and methods are considered to be competitive?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Those that are employed for competitive reasons.

I can't give you a better answer. Like we rely on players not to savescum we rely on them to stay non-competitive until the gates are open. If players are dishonest we simply can't do much about it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

That is all?

So i can allow myself not to milk hobbits or not?

If you believe that on level up I will choose any talent/skill that would make char more suitable for anyone but me personally you can disqualify me right here as this will never happen.

And that is competitive play? I would summarize as hurting/making char on purpose... leaving passive failure to improve away as not... Well, i would call having orc scorcher in kill list and no orcish spear in pack as passive hurting of char and i saw/did plenty of that last year...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

People don't have to rip their legs off for their team-mates either. I say in the black hurthling case that's your black hurthling and you can do whatever you want with him. An orc scorcher you meet is your damn orc scorcher, so do whatever you want with him. If you get a level-up then that's your skill advances and talents too. Choose whatever you find best.

The only things you have to be somewhat careful about are those you started out with. Burning Book of Frost Bolt on a nice fire drake bonfire is forbidden if you started out with it, okay if it's a book you found yourself anyway. Losing the book to a known trapped door while you had a wand of knocking in your pack is bloody stupid, but not competitive play.

Anything you encounter during your own turn you can do whatever you want with. Deliberately ditching that what was already given to you to hinder the other players is competitive play. I think that's the closest thing to a clear guideline I can give.

As for quick descending - that's a special case. No one is required to "take one for the team". Fleeing downstairs must always be allowed, even if it means you end up several levels below from where you started. Gunning for the downstairs as quickly as possible for absolutely no reason than to hurt other players is forbidden until the Chaos Gate is open.

Does that sound better to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    That is all?

So i can allow myself not to milk hobbits or not?

If you believe that on level up I will choose any talent/skill that would make char more suitable for anyone but me personally you can disqualify me right here as this will never happen.

And that is competitive play? I would summarize as hurting/making char on purpose... leaving passive failure to improve away as not... Well, i would call having orc scorcher in kill list and no orcish spear in pack as passive hurting of char and i saw/did plenty of that last year...
    Hell, you think too much.

In the warmup round, I didn't give a damn about if what I did was fair or not.

Which means that I just played normally, not actively trying to kill everyone else (ie throw all food away and get the PC to Starving!), but not trying to be too nice either (I mostly frostbolted everything that was in my way. Sorry, but I rather use castings myself than let other players use them).

EDIT: I think what Silfir said in his last post sounds reasonable and pretty much sums up what I said
    EDIT 2: Or the other way around.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Non-competitive play in a competitive game sounds a bit strange to my ears... I don't really know for sure how I should play here... I try to reach the first stairs of course, and can use any means needed to reach those - but after that, how am I supposed to play? I'm sure to stay in the game now if I don't die... But besides not dying, I can do lots and lots of different stuff, of which some are more helpful for the team than others... Just search for enough food and [u]se holy symbol for rest of turn? Search whole level then proceed to next? Search half level then proceed to next? Hunt for monsters in a fully searched level? I can't just play normally, because there is really no clear concept for me of "normal play" - it wholly depends on what I'm trying to accomplish.

When it is a competition, I of course try to use any means possible to win, that are within the rules. "Don't strive for victory" is a silly rule, but I guess that it isn't what you really meant, judging by Silfirs last post for example, so I guess I'm just playing with words, whatever...

But I'd much prefer just saying "no nasty shit". And if descending staircases is considered nasty at some situations, make clear rules for that at least... I think that a max number of levels descended would be quite okay. A wise player still wouldn't usually go to the last level, cause (s)he wants to keep the option to run away by stairs. 5 or 6 levels max?

I read the rule in a much more liberal way than a lot of other people seem to be taking it... I was thinking it meant something to the effect of "Before the gate opens, you should not perform actions whose only purpose is increase the difficulty of the next player's turn." That is, I'm not required to go out of my way to help other players and have a bit of freedom about doing actions that could make things more difficult in the future as long as the actions aren't deliberately malicious. For anything that might be a grey area, I'd say we should give the player that benefit of the doubt.

On an unrelated note, how are starting talents being dealt with? In the case of the kobold game, the player was assigned Alert to start with as a first talent by Silfir, which nobody seemed to have a problem with, although some (*cough* gut *cough*) might argue there are better choices for the talent. But if we hit a character with multiple starting talents, the choice of those talents could really change the complextion of the first few turns. If a league starts with a 3 talent bard or thief, whether they start with Heir or not will make a huge difference in play.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 04-14-2009 at 04:04 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Benefit of the doubt to the players sounds very appropriate to me.

Starting talents... The league members will be able to voice their opinions once they know the combination that was chosen, I say. I'll choose the talents according to that during preparation of the character.

Just make the player who goes first roll the r/c combo and picks the talent, that's the easy thing... And fair too, because the first player can then pick a talent that'll help him survive.