Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a tool of ACW slaying?

Default How to get a tool of ACW slaying?

Okay, so this may seem to be a rather stupid question, but rest assured, it's not. I have just entered the ToEF with a gray elven mindcrafter, and I got owned hard! After being surrounded by elementals and demons (whom I proved incapable of killing) and an ACW coming after me all the time, who didn't fall to 9 demon slaying quarrels, a wand of cold and two wands of acid, I decided it's time to call it a day and I fled. Now I'm faced with a problem though: I need something to slay the Wyrm with. The monsters probably won't be an issue since I can lure the Wyrm down to TF:3 and I have controlled teleportation, but I need a way to kill him... so yeah.

1. Where am I most likely to get some demon or dragon slaying ammo?
    2. Or booze, alternatively? The outlaw village is off-limits because my unholy aura angered Barnabas and now the place is filled with thugs in addition to the shopkeeper.
    3. Or - I didn't try mindcraft the first time, how effective is it? (Mind blast, I imagine, cast from behind a red worm or something) Would it kill the Wyrm before I'd get really corrupted? Does it even work? 1 or 2 isn't an issue, I have saved Khelly so now I have quite a few SoCR.

If you like bows, I'd recommend hunting barbarians in the wilderness. They drop arrows commonly when they're killed, and if you run around for a really long time and let them shoot, you should be able to get some arrows from that. You can normally put together a set of slaying ammo from that type of thing if you give it ten minutes or so. Swamp hydras can be used to train your missile skills very quickly if you haven't been practicing with bows very much.

Do you have access to the rune-covered trident? I'm guessing not, but that's an obvious easy one.

I'm not sure how much good mindcraft will do without GTB. I've never found most of the earlier spells particularly powerful.

If you've got a scroll of familiar summoning, I'd use that on the 3rd floor and lure the ACW down (most monsters are immune to 3rd floor heat but not 4th). There's about a 50% chance that the scroll will generate something strong enough to kill it in my experience.

If you've got a spare PoCC, smashing that at the Wyrm will soften it up a lot. (Aside: does PoCCing a monster make it mindcraft safe? Anybody know?)
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

If you like bows, I'd recommend hunting barbarians in the wilderness. They drop arrows commonly when they're killed, and if you run around for a really long time and let them shoot, you should be able to get some arrows from that. You can normally put together a set of slaying ammo from that type of thing if you give it ten minutes or so. Swamp hydras can be used to train your missile skills very quickly if you haven't been practicing with bows very much.
    They drop slaying ammo? I have never noticed that. I'll try it, I'm way past day 90 anyway.

Do you have access to the rune-covered trident? I'm guessing not, but that's an obvious easy one.
    Nah.

I'm not sure how much good mindcraft will do without GTB. I've never found most of the earlier spells particularly powerful.
    Apparently, my Mind Blast does 8d5 damage at a cost of 14 mana. Inefficient, but maybe it should do the job... is it affected by PV? Also, I'm not sure if the Wyrm resists mindcraft well...

If you've got a scroll of familiar summoning, I'd use that on the 3rd floor and lure the ACW down (most monsters are immune to 3rd floor heat but not 4th). There's about a 50% chance that the scroll will generate something strong enough to kill it in my experience.
    I wasted one trying to get a companion elsewhere earlier (and I got nothing really useful).

If you've got a spare PoCC, smashing that at the Wyrm will soften it up a lot. (Aside: does PoCCing a monster make it mindcraft safe? Anybody know?)
    I'd love to know that; unfortunately the Snake corpse did rot on me.

> and demons (whom I proved incapable of killing)
    > outlaw village is off-limits because my unholy aura angered Barnabas

if you are not capable of killing demons with ease, or shoppies with caution,
    you shouldn't be fighting the ACW

> Mind Blast does 8d5 damage

that should be enough, but you would still have to disable the ACW, then
    pray for PP's recharges at least 3 times.

Have you done DF yet? Have you even raided DF yet? You need exp. points,
    I think. Are ye even crowned?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

> and demons (whom I proved incapable of killing)
    > outlaw village is off-limits because my unholy aura angered Barnabas

if you are not capable of killing demons with ease, or shoppies with caution,
    you shouldn't be fighting the ACW
    I disagree. Fighting the ACW is not a matter of brute force, not with an elven mindcrafter. The question is if I can find a way to kill the ACW easily. Besides, what else would you suggest me to do to progress? Jump down the Rift? Nah.

> Mind Blast does 8d5 damage

that should be enough, but you would still have to disable the ACW, then
    pray for PP's recharges at least 3 times.
    I don't think I'd have to disable the ACW. As I said, I'd fight him from behind a worm, which won't die to my Mind Blast castings and will prevent the ACW from doing anything other than futile confusion attacks.

Have you done DF yet? Have you even raided DF yet? You need exp. points,
    I think. Are ye even crowned?
    DF is down, yes. I'm not crowned because I'm considering an ultra with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    They drop slaying ammo? I have never noticed that. I'll try it, I'm way past day 90 anyway.
    You can get "arrows of slaying" from them. I think arrows of -foo- slaying are a bit high DL for wilderness.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    You can get "arrows of slaying" from them. I think arrows of -foo- slaying are a bit high DL for wilderness.
    From experience :
    They can drop any pre/su fixed arrows, though you need to have some levels for that.
    Thety can drop -foo- slaying amo if you read enough SoD
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Well, I've done it in the end! It boiled down to Confusion Blasts and an eternium two-handed sword, plus about 5 uses of the Water orb. Lesson: Mind Blasting over worms is a great strategy *if* you aren't cursed and doomed, or have a load of blessed scrolls of power to recharge your mana. Otherwise it won't work. In the end, the two corruptions the Orb gave me were probably the best two in my situation: the 1/2 weight +6 DV and the bulging cranium, which boosts my Mindcraft and gives me more opportunity to use morgia.

...Now to remove my cursing and possible dooming and find some holy water so I can finally bless the stack of 5 uncursed PoEH I have in my backpack... <.<

> Fighting the ACW is not a matter of brute force

niether is fighting shopkeepers (and shoppies give nearly the same xp)

> what else would you suggest me to do to progress? Jump down the Rift?

If I need xp levels, I'll hang in the cavernous levels of the TotHK's for a while.

> faced with a problem though: I need something to slay the Wyrm with

I thought that meant that you didn't have a way of inflicting damage.
    Goodness, eternium 2-hander = easy kill.

> Now to remove my cursing and possible dooming

you did it cursed?
    Last edited by gut; 09-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Well, I've done it in the end! It boiled down to Confusion Blasts and an eternium two-handed sword, plus about 5 uses of the Water orb. Lesson: Mind Blasting over worms is a great strategy *if* you aren't cursed and doomed, or have a load of blessed scrolls of power to recharge your mana. Otherwise it won't work. In the end, the two corruptions the Orb gave me were probably the best two in my situation: the 1/2 weight +6 DV and the bulging cranium, which boosts my Mindcraft and gives me more opportunity to use morgia.

...Now to remove my cursing and possible dooming and find some holy water so I can finally bless the stack of 5 uncursed PoEH I have in my backpack... <.<
    Fighting the ACW while cursed and doomed is a little insane IMHO.