Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you really want to run a whole f___ OS just for a roguelike?

Default do you really want to run a whole f___ OS just for a roguelike?

http://plog.atspace.com/streaming/stream1.html

linux gurus, please do look over this and don't be shy

EDIT: I'm not open-minded about doing a re-install, as I just did this one for xp : )
    I am happy to change any text, or provide extra text on how to do things in
    an easier or more newbie-friendly way.
    Last edited by gut; 09-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I am going to do a summary for my own purposes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get ubuntu
    Get virtualbox
    Get ttyrec
    Get ttrtail

Install virtualbox
    Create and configure new virtual machine (linux/ubuntu)
    Mount linux distro .iso into virtual machine
    Boot virtual machine
    Install ubuntu onto virtual machine

A bunch of boring virtualbox configuration // I think this stuff comes default on VMware, another virtualization software

Install adom
    Install ttyrec
    Install ttrtail

1-terminal
    Run ttrtail (begin streaming)

2-terminal
    Run ttyrec (begin recording)
    Run adom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Overall, good guide, I guess. I mostly just skimmed through it to make sure you had the important parts and the whole middle part about configuring virtualbox to allow you to mount stuff off of the host machine onto the virtual machine was... I don't know how to put it but I have already been spoiled by two things. One, I use VMware for virtualization and this functionality is already built in. Two, I appreciate linux as it is and would never want to tie it into using a windows machine more than I absolutely had to.

And one side note, during the installation of Ubuntu, you mentioned the difference between try and install. Try allows you to "try ubuntu" without committing anything to your computer. Essentially, this is Ubuntu Live CD. You run everything off of the CD and when you remove it, the computer reverts back to "normal" or whatever it was before you put the CD in. This is can be extremely useful if you have a malfunctioning computer (i.e. filled with spyware, viruses and shit) and want to retrieve information off of it without having to do a clean install. However, for a virtual machine, you would rather just install the OS.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I can't get ttrtail to compile on my Ubuntu machine - it dislikes line 77 for no discernible reason. Also, Windows is the OS I run just for games.

> I use VMware for virtualization and this functionality is already built in.

I don't think that one is open source though, and I find myself willing to trust
    open source stuff.

> it dislikes line 77

I got an error about that as well, but it gave me my binary anyway. You sure
    ttrtail executable isn't there?

I trust open-source and close-source equally, as equal as their end-user license agreements dictate.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

VirtualPC works just as well as this and is a lot simpler to use
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Hmm, I think I missed the context of this thread due to being inactive in the forums lately... but if I understand correctly... this means that we can stream live games, as if we played on the server?

That sounds pretty awesome.

Is it possible to do this with ssh sessions? I mean, I have a Linux PC at work and a Windows PC at home, and I usually connect from the home PC to the work PC via putty. Would it be possible to stream this as well? (it would save me from having to install Linux or an VM on my home PC).

> this means that we can stream live games, as if we played on the server?

yes

> Would it be possible to stream this as well?

I don't know for sure, but if you can remotely run adom, ttyrec, and ttrtail,
    there's potential...

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > I use VMware for virtualization and this functionality is already built in.

I don't think that one is open source though, and I find myself willing to trust
    open source stuff.
    Then use virtualbox, its nearly as good (for desktop users, anyway) and has a (slightly crippled) open source version.

Anyway, Ubuntu is an absolutely terrible choice for this. Damn Small Linux would be much better suited.
    We could even make a complete ready to go VM, and thats where DSL shines: very small means easier to host.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

> Then use virtualbox, its nearly as good

That's a really good tip right there

> Ubuntu is an absolutely terrible choice for this. Damn Small Linux would be much better suited

I tried puppy, two versions of DSL, and one other I can't remember (I was doing all this while
    half asleep). They all had problems I couldn't overcome easily. Puppy had trouble with formating
    the virtual HD file (prolly a way, but I was too newb to find it), so I could only make progress
    with the 'live' version, many mouse troubles, and opened windows that were too large for its
    allowed starting resolution. One version of DSL had similar problems to 'puppy', but had other
    intigration problems with virtualbox that I can't remember. The other version of DSL actually
    came with its own virtual machine, which worked surprisingly well, but I couldn't switch back
    and forth between it and my normal OS. Again, maybe there was a way and I just couldn't
    find it.

Ubuntu by comparison installed perfectly in the background as I watched a movie. It integrated
    perfectly with virtualbox with flawless mouse functionality, resolution compatability, properly
    formating virtual HD file, and even had VB 'guest additions' available for it due to its popularity.
    I can now run it fullscreen at my monitor's max resolution, something I don't think the others
    could ever do with Vbox.