Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: adom is boring

Default adom is boring

yep. i cant beat the game because i cant make myself go through the beginning again. and after i do i always die stupidly. Rarely will i die because the situation cant be helped, its usually me not paying attention to my health as i try to train melee on a wizard or something.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

My experience tells me that playing while bored is one of the best ways to get killed. Boredom leads to apathy, which leads to carelessness, which leads to disregard for the HP score. Maybe it's time for an ADOM break? Maybe it's time to switch up your playing style, stop doing boring stuff? Spice up the early game by doing an UD dive, or skip straight to the CoC? I don't know how your early games are, but if you're spending the first hour exclusively farming books and levels in the ID to "prepare", that would bore me to tears as well.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Okay, question for you: how do you typically start the game? What R/Cs do you like? What strategies do you generally use?

If you find ADOM boring, my suggestion would be to stop doing the parts of the game that you find boring

I'm not entirely unserious. If you're finding the early game boring, it's probably because you spend a lot of time grinding. You're spending time getting herbs, or stairhopping for books, or getting crowned, or finding that stupid amulet, or training melee marks with a freaking wizard. These aren't necessary to winning the game, and, in some cases (particularly said amulet), grinding for them actually can involve rather considerable risk to your PC's life beyond just due to boredom. If you just want to win, most of these things aren't that important. They'll come naturally as you level, or they won't.

One option is, if you're finding the early game boring, is to make it harder. Play a thief or a merchant. Doom yourself. Put yourself in a situation where you are fighting for your life, right from the beginning. Or try an Ironman game, or a Carbon Fibre game. Do something you've never done before.

Or take a break. ADOM is forever. You'll be back in some months, or some years, wanting to give it another go.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

you'll be back
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

If you're bored, there's also a 300 post thread on creation vs evolution in the general forum to read
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    yep. i cant beat the game because i cant make myself go through the beginning again. and after i do i always die stupidly. Rarely will i die because the situation cant be helped, its usually me not paying attention to my health as i try to train melee on a wizard or something.
    Must admit that I rarely play the regular game these days for much of this reason. Most people who have been playing it for years spice it up with crazy challenges - Soirana tries his blind monks, JellySlayer keeps hammering away at doomed chars, gut obsesses over speedruns and I constantly burn myself on Brimstone. This is where I get my real ADOM fun.

For lighter challenges I'd suggest Iron Man (straight ID dive, keep heading for the stairs) and Lithium Man (no dungeons other than CoC and Tower). Speedruns are also fairly fun - see if you can win in under 50k turns. Stop doing the silly quests in the game - they're all dull and repetitive, only there to add a bit of flavour. Don't play weak chars that need lots of herbs. A drakeling with decent starting stats never needs to taste morgia.

Spice things up, try new ideas, keep things fun. And take breaks as others say - you'll find yourself pining for the game again eventually
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

i never* grind and i only get herbs if its convenient... I always start the game the same way though. I get the blanket, kill the raider lord, i do PC, and then i do druid/healer quest before i go to the CoC.

*i have done it a few times.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

only PC I can think of that can win with absolutely no grinding
    would be a dwarf archer.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    would be a dwarf archer.
    Grugr. Trolls capable too.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    i never* grind and i only get herbs if its convenient... I always start the game the same way though. I get the blanket, kill the raider lord, i do PC, and then i do druid/healer quest before i go to the CoC.

*i have done it a few times.
    No wonder you're bored.

Quote Originally Posted by gut
    would be a dwarf archer.
    That sounds like a challenge What you do consider to be grinding?