Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adom on n900

Default Adom on n900

Ok, just trying to run Adom on my n900. Still not sure if it will be possible but for sure is worth a try...

Keep me posted on how it goes, please My brother has either that phone, or one very like it (I can't remember the model number) and I would love to be able to steal it and play adom.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Will do. As soon I have some result (hopefully positive) I'll post them.

I don't have an N900, but as far as I know it runs full-fledged Linux (not Android) and it is even compatible with Debian repositories, so in theory ADOM should run.

Why the hell do people feel the need to annouce things like "Hey, I could try this, I'll tell you how it went after I did it". Yeah, well, I already know that one can *try* to run ADOM on the N900. Thanks a fucking lot.

EDIT: Urgh I guess that was a bit unfriendly. Dont take it personally please
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Don't get your hopes up on this. Since ADOM isn't open source, we only have the compiled binaries. Without emulation, you can't run code compiled for x86 processors on the ARM processor in your n900.

Basically, you have 4 options.

1) Wait for the creator to compile an ARM version of ADOM. Not very likely, as ADOM apparently isn't in active development, and the code is allegedly a huge mess, so it's likely to be more complicated than a simple re-compile.
    2) Wait for the creator to open-source ADOM, (or release the code to a dev team of ADOM fans). Also not likely to happen anytime soon.
    3) Set up a linux box with ADOM installed, then SSH into it from your n900 and play that way. (Option 3a, wait for Jaakkos to fix his public ADOM SSH server)
    4) Apparently, it's possible to run DOSBox on the n900. You may be able to get the DOS version of ADOM running this way. I can't speak personally on the n900, but in general, processor emulation tends to be slow and quite a battery drain on mobile devices. This may be your only option for actually running ADOM on your n900, though.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceguy View Post
    Don't get your hopes up on this. Since ADOM isn't open source, we only have the compiled binaries. Without emulation, you can't run code compiled for x86 processors on the ARM processor in your n900.
    Oh crap, I wasn't thinking about that in my previous post, but it's true :/

Yeah, I worked out that much myself. But I had some news that is possible to run a emulation software for executing x86 binaries. I think it's still in its first stage but people seems pretty positive about it (hopefully).

Digging info.

Qemu-i386 is working on n900 and seems even wine in working there.

A couples of week and we could have Adom running on the N900? Maybe, maybe not. For me is worth a try though. Since now I never had the possibility to carry adom along and I'm not going to buy a *damned* iPhone. *grin*

If you figure it out, that'd be awesome. Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with my laptop, though if anyone knows a way I can get a free ssh client working on windows mobile (non-touchscreen) so I can play from that, I'd sacrifice a promising character in your honor.