Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: General Discussion

That's what I'm fearing too... Maybe we can alleviate that in some way? An informal exhibition league in the Warm-up thread to pass the time? Roman Republic Character style - anyone can sign up anytime?
    Last edited by Silfir; 04-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

A more-informal Roman-Republic warm up sounds great.

I wonder how many Roguelike players it takes to change a lightbulb.

Ten?

One to change the bulb, and nine to advise him
    that the random lightbulb generator will later
    kill him if it's too easy.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

One, but he'll die ten thousand times over 8 years trying. Each death is blamed on bad luck or overconfidence.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    One, but he'll die ten thousand times over 8 years trying. Each death is blamed on bad luck or overconfidence.
    So true...
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Let's revive the discussion of races and classes for a bit. I'm still in favor of the "every league gets a random character" concept, but some have expressed their interest in other choices.

Let's discuss this once more. I think random characters for every league are the most fun because they will give us the most variety and will be equally fair to all participators in the sense that no one will be guaranteed to get a character he likes or is even remotely proficient with. Sacrificing variety it might be a possibility to generate one random combo and assign that combination to all the other leagues (though they won't get the same character like last year). That way we can kind of compare the efforts of the differing leagues, but since the ID is highly random in itself that'd be a very big "kind of".

Deciding on a set race/class combo designed to be easy to survive with in the ID, such as an elementalist, is something I wouldn't want since people who prefer that combination will be advantaged by design instead of luck. Similarly the leagues shouldn't get to decide, because they'll choose an easy combination on their own I'm sure, and that would be boring and less challenging too. Also, how can it be a decent murderous arena if the gladiators get to decide that kind of stuff?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

If the leagues have different race/class combos, how
    will we gloat?

"Our wizard is doing soooo much better than your thief!"

Maybe that's a good thing though : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    If the leagues have different race/class combos, how
    will we gloat?

"Our wizard is doing soooo much better than your thief!"

Maybe that's a good thing though : )
    Actually, it would be valid if we were like, "Our thief is doing soooo much better than your wizard!"

One possibility is to have a set of races and classes for each league, with the actual combination picked randomly from among these. If players were allowed to select their league, then you could choose your general type of character, but would not be guaranteed to get the combination you want. The selection for each league could follow some theme. As an example, here's a division I made on the basis of the attributes associated with the four elements (if you can't tell, I was feeling a bit bored) :

Code:
    FIRE:
    Drakeling
    High Elf
    Human
    Orc
    Troll
    -
    Barbarian
    Farmer
    Fighter
    Monk