Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most pathetic first vitory, High Elven Barbarian Shali

This was cool story, much more than a pickpocketing acidballing wizard wimp! Tough fights are great, and stuff like discovering that you can darkness the titans just on the spot. Good attitude about just fighting till the end really.

Oh and Vanquisher is much much better than 2 spears, but that's not important...

You didn't take time to visit the nice little village after closing the gate did you? Chatting with the druid most importantly...

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    A little bit off-topic, but: why do people have trouble with the animated forest? It's far safer than even setting foot in DH.
    With a source of invisibility, on-demand teleport and teleport control, and optionally, a means of monster detection, DH is quite safe. The only thing that could kill me quick enough is an emperor lich standing next to the stairs casting death ray to me, and that probably happens once in a lifetime (depending on your luck, of course, really lucky characters are more likely to get this). Just be careful if you suddenly get a "Some kind of force seems to attack your mind" message, and don't ever screw up your teleport by teleing on a monster and getting jumped by anything nasty. (I.E. Kill any monsters standing near the stairs. I had a situation when I killed a werewolf near the stairs, but left some wolves alone. Next time, I blindly tele'd into a wolf. At this point, you've got no guarantee you can make it after the teleport... anything can happen.)

Animated Forest does require decent DV and PV or the Darkness spell - and will always be boring as hell. I check out the DH anytime, prepared for emergencies, but if I see danger rear its ugly head I'll bravely turn my tail and flee.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

*Small tip*

Dark forge is the best source of pickaxes. Just kill all the golems and wait until chaos dwarven knights show up - they drop pickaxes very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    This was cool story, much more than a pickpocketing acidballing wizard wimp! Tough fights are great, and stuff like discovering that you can darkness the titans just on the spot. Good attitude about just fighting till the end really.

Oh and Vanquisher is much much better than 2 spears, but that's not important...

You didn't take time to visit the nice little village after closing the gate did you? Chatting with the druid most importantly...
    I think he mentioned that he already did that quest.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Worst-case scenario in DH is probably something like a quickling queen in the entrance room, as they just have to be generated nearby to kill you. While I've died in DH once or twice, I've never had problems in AF, even as a newb... just don't hit anything and keep moving.

It's actually a pretty cool story. Winning against what feels like all odds is, at least in my opinion, far from a "most pathetic" victory

(I usually skip YAVP's, but the comments of the others made me curious, so I finally read it.)

Wow, amazing story! This is incredibly cool; surviving all those mistakes...

Congratulations.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Worst-case scenario in DH is probably something like a quickling queen in the entrance room, as they just have to be generated nearby to kill you. While I've died in DH once or twice, I've never had problems in AF, even as a newb... just don't hit anything and keep moving.
    I remember the first time (or at least one of the first times, don't remember) I went to the DH, a balor was in the first room. Then he instantly summoned... I feared the DH after that for quite a long time, not knowing that it's not always just that tough.

Default Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot for all of your comments. I must say, that I am seriously surprised as how many people find the story to their liking, but it's a very kind surprise to say the least

Thank you as well for the tips given, I am not sure what to play next. I got a crash after getting a nice high DV paladin up to level 21, so this game is lost. And though he could read books fine, he didnt get many charges, even with literacy and concentration 100, so I am thinking about playing a full caster. Maybe a necromancer for a change of alignment, pace (and survivability ^.^)

Ill make sure to tell the tale at least as enterntaining as the last one. Provided that I ever win again ^.~