Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about your most heartbreaking death.

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    It's common knowledge that tragedy befalls the most promising characters. This morning, after ages of playing without a single legit win (including a few deaths on D:50), I come to realize that in ADOM, I am my own worst enemy.

In UD:7, I found a ring shop. He had a ring of ice (sweet, no stacking FR for the tower), and a RoDS! The RoDS was priced about 20k, so i would have to come back later- I didn't want to rob the guy, as my PC was in no shape to battle a shopkeeper and the dooming/cursing would surely kill me before I got to Dwarftown. So I figured I'd head out, stack up some gold and return later. no rush.

Then In Lawen~, I got another stroke of luck, and she shopkeep there was sitting on a pair of 7LB! Oh sweet baby Jesus, can this be true? Priced about 7k, i still didn't have enough, as i had sacrificed a good bit of cash earning favor with the man upstairs. Again, no matter. I headed over to the CoC to hit the Arena for money.

On D:2 there was a C altar, and i got my gear dusted trying to convert it... twice. Where I had previously had 51/23 DV/PV, I had enough spare gear to get back up to 23/7. Still not bad, certainly good enough for the arena. So onward i pressed. In the arena, I fought through a few rounds and was doing well, until I had a momentary lapse of judgment and ate a kobold corpse. I don't know why i did it- I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I wasn't even pressed for food, I had a bag full of lizards. I layed on the '.' key for a while, waiting for my sickness to wear off- but it wouldn't. So I figured as long as I was waiting, I could burn through a few more arena rounds- they're all easy fights, right? Well, they were, until I got sent up against a jackalwere. He summoned jackals who quickly surrounded me, and my already-lowered health started dropping fast. Here I started getting nervous. I didn't have any health potions, I was sick, and my god had forsaken me 3 levels up for fucking with that C altar. I set it to Coward, put on 2 shields and started chugging unidentified potions. Fortunately, i hit a stack of 3 invisibility potions, which i used to take out the surrounding jackals 1 at a time (I've got 8 hp left at this point).

I finished off the jackals with about 6hp, and figured I'm home free. All I have to do now is wait for my sickness to wear off and I'm back in the green, with a big pile of cash to go claim my 7LB. I waited, and waited.... And waited. And the final fit of sickness did exactly 22 damage to me, which happened to be the amount of health I had at the time. Reduced exactly to 0. The luckiest beginning I've ever had in *any* game, and I went and fucked it up, playing stupidly. I could have cried. No more ADOM for me today...

So let's hear it- which stupid death of yours was the hardest for you to take?

"On D:2 there was a C altar, and i got my gear dusted trying to convert it... twice. Where I had previously had 51/23 DV/PV, I had enough spare gear to get back up to 23/7. Still not bad, certainly good enough for the arena. So onward i pressed. "

Before turning the alignment of the alter or of the PC, just take off your gear and dump all of it on the ground. Then equip, at least one thing (as you don't want to face the alternative to cursing or gear turning to dust), something worthless like a rock.

My most memorable death was a gray elf wizard. It was the first time I had reached lvl 50 and I had almost reached the bottom of the Caverns of Chaos. I was sure this would be my first win. I mean I was a lvl 50 wizard, at that point wizards are nearly unstoppable. Using my preferred long distance tactic of far-sight and magic missile, I was clearing out a room full of mobs. Then my finger hit the wrong button on the keybroad. Instead of my magic missile going forward to the mobs, it went up to the wall right above me, then it went down trough me and to the wall right below me. And my extremely high lvl magic missile bounced between the walls, until I was dead, dead, dead. That is when I learned that one of the biggest threats to a high lvl wizard is their own magic.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 10-22-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: for grammar

Classic.
    Variant is with Death ray
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

> I encountered a gorgon. He easily fell to my blade

wait a second...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

An Orcish barbarian who had a safe herb farm which earned me a Vanquisher. Steamrolled nearly everything even with not so great stats, at the most two-shot all the key monsters (Mana Archmage, worm of the red tower, etc.) but due to horribad luck with corruption removal methods... blobbed at CoC:50.

Default garyd

Lets see there is my first character a wizard Human. 23 lvl didn't begin to realize at that point what a wand of far slaying could do in a confined space. I lived longer than anything else in the room though.

huh my awesomely going lvl 23human famer turned a corner at lvl 42 of the coc and got taken from 250+ hp to -459 and bleeding! in one turn by a greater moloch.

i picture that he got stood on and had ever bone in his body turned to paste.
    This is where words go

I think my most heart beating death by far has got to be the first and ,only as of now, time I got to lvl. 50 of the CoC I was a super wizard acid balling everything and just as I get to meet Fistanarius face to face I ran out of acid ball. X( After that it was like nothing else to hurt him and he pretty much raped my brains out. Disappointing....

Not heartbreaking, but...
    Long ago.
    Scroll of warning from SMC.
    xx paces away your path is lying.
    After i read it, soon after while i was pushing the button something red moved to me and i was engulfed in roaming flames and died.
    My thoughts was like:
    Waaaait a minute, was that just now scroll of read-and-you-soon-die?Oh my god, i should'nt read random scrolls...

Scroll of vortex summoning? It's more likely than you think.