Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Public Free ADOM Server

Cool Public Free ADOM Server

Since the last server went down, we now have a new one

http://ancardia.dyndns.org/ - details on how to connect.

Upon connecting, I must stress that you read the "First visit? Read me!" document in full.

You will need an SSH client to connect, PuTTy is a good choice for those on Windows.

For those unfamiliar with SSH keys, just save the raw key text to a file (filename doesn't matter) and use that as the key file. *nix systems might need to chmod 700 the raw key. For those using PuTTY, you will need to use the PuTTY key provided (you do not need to run the .ppk file under puttygen, as it is already a PuTTY key).

Once you finish playing YOUR OWN session, just save/quit ADOM as usual, and then answer the questions about keeping (and sometimes backing up) your session. If you are spectating, and thus DO NOT OWN the session, obviously you should not quit or save the person's game. Instead, you should just close your SSH client window to stop spectating.

As this has just been set up, it is obviously still undergoing testing, so any comments/feedbacks/bugs please let me know (IRC or here). Sorry for the bugs (to be expected, really), so if you hit one make sure you tell me and they will be hunted down.

As for distributing a private SSH key, I understand that it is not the norm, but having everybody to create their own key is too inconvenient and using a password is too insecure. If you have a better solution please let me know.

The server is in the USA. If you want to host an Eastern mirror let me know via PM.

Awesome Features
    - automagic backups + backup restoration
    - check for 80x25 game size
    - spectate-only as well as co-op games
    - override spectate-only games with password
    - password protected game files (don't use an important password)
    - vi-keys option
    - popular ADOM cfg settings
    - shared highscores
    - downloadable game save and memorial files (svg, vlg and flg)
    - uploadable (import) save files into server
    - open-source code
    - everything is temporary data, we don't log stuff about you. if you want archives, download it and store it yourself (yes, that's a feature!)
    - shows race/class/level/idle time for active sessions
    - shows last saved time for savegames

Future (potential) features
    - build your own gut-style "let's play" documentary
    - ttyrec game recordings perhaps?
    - perhaps your own cfg and kbd files?
    - maaayybee ADOM SAGE support

Known bugs
    - PuTTY has a bug which may stop you from using the function keys to change your tactics. You can fix this by going to Terminal->Keyboard on PuTTY's left navigation and choosing "Xterm R6" as the "The Function keys and keypad" settings.
    - Another bug if you use PuTTY is that the numpad keys to move around don't work. Just enable "Disable application keypad mode" in Terminal->Features to fix it.
    - Using screen's command line mode (you really shouldn't be messing around with any of screen's functions anyway) may cause keymappings to be messed up. Saving and resuming the session restores it back to normal.
    - If somebody is mashing their keyboard whilst you are playing a spectate-only game, your screen might blink. Don't panic!

I hope you enjoy playing it, and please abide by the rules and guidelines stated in the "First visit? Read me!" document when you connect to the server.
    Last edited by Moult; 12-02-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I just tried it, here's my comments.

For PuTTY you need to change rows to 25 to start ADOM and you need to convert Moult's key with PuTTYGen.

The term doesn'y seem compatible with default PuTTY, so I cannot walk using keypad.

The link is too slow for me to play, but I'm in europe.

I'm not too excited about others ability to interfere in my games directly.

But thanks for the effort, there need to be a public ADOM server.

wait, this is in USA?!

woooot. gotta try this right now

... I love the idea of others being able to interfere with gameplay!
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Got it working. Can't understand why the first link tells me to ask for a key
    on irc, then just gives me a key on the second link. Yes, I had to use puttygen
    on the provided key, so maybe that's why the asking...

The server is fast for me in KY, or at least it's faster than the European one was.

Playing a gnome assasin now, though I suppose I won't fiddle with screenshots.

Anyone who wants to spectate (or help in the gameplay) is welcome

I do love that particular feature, please keep it, at least up until you get complaints.

tripple posting rules!

did I miss the way to edit my .cfg file?

I'm typing in my game variables via the in-game command := and it's working fine, just curious

i need a step by step connection guide. could some one give me a hand? the only thing i ever used putty for was the old server and i don't really undersstand too well how to connect

Quote Originally Posted by dallonj View Post
    i need a step by step connection guide. could some one give me a hand? the only thing i ever used putty for was the old server and i don't really undersstand too well how to connect
    Download the DSA key that Moult linked, and you'll also need puttygen. Using puttygen, import the key from the Conversions menu. Then hit Save Private Key. Names don't matter too much.

Now in PuTTY, on the left nav thing, find SSH and then Auth. There should be a box for a private key file. Just naviagte to the one you just created.

i got it working thanks. now people can interfere with me killing myself!! this seems pretty awesome a little but slow but i think thats my bad internet connection

hmm, I wonder how to reload my save game...

seems there are a few bugs

I wasn't able to find my save for my lithium gnome. Someone on irc mentioned
    that they may have closed it out accidentally. I rolled a new PC, saved, relogged,
    and it seems that anyone can log into anyone's saved sessions. Someone had
    done that (though not neccesarily the person from irc), perhaps thinking to
    spectate, loaded the file, then quit or died or something. Anyway, unless there is
    some backup, that guy is just dead, but that's no problem. The problem is, now
    I can't spectate. Some on irc said the same thing happened to them, they made
    a PC, saved a session, and can no longer spectate.

When trying, you get an error output, then putty just closes. I fired up camstudio
    to get the output lines:

--------
    /home/adom/shell.sh: line 105: export: '/home/adom=/home/adom/sessions/': not a valid identifier
    There are several suitable screens on:
    ----------