Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get your mind blown

nathrakh Guest

Default Get your mind blown

Everyone knows it: RNG can and will screw you up when you're trying to build a magnificent garden. It plays two fast generations and your thorough thought plans are pissed upon without mercy.

It is a well-known tactic to stop monster generation in Big Room via digging + wand of door creation...

*quiet dramatic drumming...* The right stars and planets aligned and it struck me:

*dramatic drumming reaches it's peak!*

Use \oDC to control herb generations! *Tsa-duuummmm!!*

Quote Originally Posted by nathrakh View Post
    Everyone knows it: RNG can and will screw you up when you're trying to build a magnificent garden. It plays two fast generations and your thorough thought plans are pissed upon without mercy.

It is a well-known tactic to stop monster generation in Big Room via digging + wand of door creation...

*quiet dramatic drumming...* The right stars and planets aligned and it struck me:

*dramatic drumming reaches it's peak!*

Use \oDC to control herb generations! *Tsa-duuummmm!!*
    IIRC, no herbs are going to grow on the tile after you place a door and kick it down, so not so awesome.
    After all, there is some feeling when you grew a big generation, started correcting it, got screwed by RNG, cursed several times and then realized you got much more better disposition. Explosive growth rules unless there's a DElven wizzie somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    IIRC, no herbs are going to grow on the tile after you place a door and kick it down, so not so awesome.
    After all, there is some feeling when you grew a big generation, started correcting it, got screwed by RNG, cursed several times and then realized you got much more better disposition. Explosive growth rules unless there's a DElven wizzie somewhere...
    IIRC, this is only true for game-created doors. Doors that the player creates can be kicked down and planted on, no problem.

But what would I know. It's not like one of my uber-characters has ever gotten bored enough to do this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14294797/Herbys.gif

PS: Yes, you're reading that DV/PV right.
    Last edited by Ascaron; 11-02-2010 at 08:58 AM.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Yes, you're reading that DV/PV right.
    How?

randomstringextracharactersbananasareawesome
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Wow.

He could have got his stats that high with rings of weakness + exchange pots but I'm guessing a wish engine / archmage. In which case, maybe he smithed + wished for many scrolls of enchant weapon/armor.

Still, that's pretty dedicated. Both the level garden and the gear.

Maybe th next community activity needs to be megaprojects. In Dwarf Fortress the term applies to giant statues or other works of art or engineering that mostly are just done as a challenge.

Like tunneling out an entire level to make another big room, or to turn Teryino or Bandit/Dwarf town into a ghost town by necromancing everyone there.

IIRC, this is only true for game-created doors. Doors that the player creates can be kicked down and planted on, no problem.

But what would I know. It's not like one of my uber-characters has ever gotten bored enough to do this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14294797/Herbys.gif

PS: Yes, you're reading that DV/PV right.

What's funny is that your garden is actually mostly stable without the doors. I think you only need only 3 doors to make it completely stable. If you move the two rows to the right of the stairs over by one column to the right and the three patches in the top left over to the left by one column, that will stabilize everywhere except places where there are three 2x2 squares in an L shape. You can stablize this pattern by putting the door in the corner in the centre of the three bushes. There's, I think 3 places where you'd need to do that.

This strategy also works with wands of trap creation and webbing, incidentally. Web is probably best because you can put them in place much faster, there's a spell so you don't need to worry about wand charges, and they're easy to destroy if you need to change the pattern.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
    Wow.

He could have got his stats that high with rings of weakness + exchange pots but I'm guessing a wish engine / archmage. In which case, maybe he smithed + wished for many scrolls of enchant weapon/armor.

Still, that's pretty dedicated. Both the level garden and the gear.
    Wished-for scrolls are correct. I thought it was common knowledge around here that I (well, my brother really) has a program that automates adom... think copy-pasting commands except 100x better, with built-in fail-safes (no running out of food/dying to random monsters).

Admittedly, it's only as good as its user... and aside from large-scale testing etc I never use it (100,000 wishes for "scrolls of item creation" is hard on the fingers)... but it's a useful tool. I have just two rules with its use:
    1) Any character that uses it, even just to walk one square, is considered to be a H4rdc0rr h4x0r and I never ever try win with.
    2) I never use it to do anything that I couldn't do myself with the exact same results (just I would take a bit longer without).

Anyway, now that I've confessed my not-so-secret secret to success...

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    This strategy also works with wands of trap creation and webbing, incidentally. Web is probably best because you can put them in place much faster, there's a spell so you don't need to worry about wand charges, and they're easy to destroy if you need to change the pattern.
    ... and the secret bonus of webs is you can destroy them any time you walk past to, say, pick a herb.
    Wait, did I say bonus? I meant... yeah, I guess you know what I meant. I'll admit that webs are brilliant if you have a few spare books of teleportation to hop over them... but honestly, I'd rather the once-off waste of time while I create doors. To each their own
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

... and the secret bonus of webs is you can destroy them any time you walk past to, say, pick a herb.
    Wait, did I say bonus? I meant... yeah, I guess you know what I meant. I'll admit that webs are brilliant if you have a few spare books of teleportation to hop over them... but honestly, I'd rather the once-off waste of time while I create doors. To each their own
    Well, once you make your garden stable, you can remove the webs without any problem. You just need them for the setup. Booze/scrolls of charging are much too valuable a resource to be wasting on making dozens of doors in a herb garden IMHO, and by the time you get the 100 charge wand from the bug cave, you don't need herbs anyway.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

no mob can destroy an open door
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."