Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Startup screen in Jade.

I think it would be cool to put pictures up like those ascii artworks on the main adom.de page now, and have them change to a diff pic every few seconds. I remember years ago when I first saw those pieces of art I thought they were the coolest thing ever lots of creativity behind them

Imho, the role of the starting screen is: a) a convenient way to choose your action (load, create etc), b) make feel a bit of atmosphere, ambience of the game. (really optional)

Yes, the game itself is much more important on the demo stage

For the video on the title screen I'd love to see an arena (like the ADOM arena) with random monsters fighting. Would be great if monsters or items you hadn't encountered before appeared, and you'd be left excited to see them for yourself in game.

Quote Originally Posted by M_bowwarrior View Post
    JADE is a ASCII (or extended ASCII) game, so why do you want to "'improve" the startup screen ?

we don't wand isometric-3D expensive animations, "just" a efficient game with plenty of stuff and details, as (or better as) ADOM.

but it's just my point of view...
    The startup screen already has a very simple animation... but I'm shocked about hiw bad my taste seems to be - I always liked the current JADE startup screen quite a bit Oh well... we'll see what happens once an alpha version is out. Right now I really focus on getting an initial version done... then the finetuning can begin
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Gi! Then and I have very bad taste, as startup screen of JADE I liked too. Ж)

I really like the start-up screen. I think it's nice because it mirrors the design of the website. I would say that if anything it should be the last thing attached to the game. I play ADOM and will play JADE for the great game quality that TB puts into his projects.

One thing I would suggest about the start-up screen is that the buttons be moved around a bit. To me their positions currently seem unintuitive. New character as the fifth option along? In my opinion the order should be: Postcard, New, Restore, Manual, FAQ, Quit. Also there should be highlighted keystrokes for each (m for manual, etc) so functionally the interface is no different than in ADOM. Ooh, and the background could be a little more varied - wouldn't be hard to create a less repetitive image.

That's funny that you mention that. I totally don't think about the start-up screen. I have been playing so long that my fingers automatically do what I want whether it be restarting a saved game or generating a new one.

If someone tells me the size of the jade's screen, maybe i will be able to make a nice start-up.
    I never won a Adom game...

This is unnecessary. What's there is fine. No worries.