Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Startup screen in Jade.

Default Startup screen in Jade.

Is the startup screen only a early beta thing?
    since it looks very beta like. if not will you improve the design later?
    What a deliciously boring signature.

JADE is a ASCII (or extended ASCII) game, so why do you want to "'improve" the startup screen ?

we don't wand isometric-3D expensive animations, "just" a efficient game with plenty of stuff and details, as (or better as) ADOM.

but it's just my point of view...
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

Well said M_bowwarrior.

I like the idea of a graphical startup screen. It gives the feeling of a modern rogue-like game.

I think the Jade logo is basically fine, but overall the screen is too big and the look of the buttons don't follow a coherent scheme.

I would also re-order the buttons, preferably vertically like in ADOM and the most frequently used ones first.

These are all minor details however.

It would be awesome if we could alternate between text or a graphic startup screen.
    win for everybody

Exclamation

one thing could be interesting, but I think it's already the case, is to have a "video" (understand, a animated image) of the game, as a demo. A character who move, fight, evolve, die... If this sort of stuff doesn't add to the game several Mo and doesn't take time, it could be fun.

Remember: TB have said before in the blog that it is already that...
    but an improvement could be to have an option for saving the game "video" from a moment to another and use it in introduction....

It could be fun to see our character just before a chaotic temple fighting eternium chaotic flesh golems and win (or die )

Moreover, this add on could generate small "video" files who could be shared between people to share techniques and tips for "extra crispy places"

This could be another thread maybe... if the "creator" like the idea.

you want to fight me?!

I really don't know why people are so hung up on the start up screen! It has no impact whatsoever on the quality of the game.

I want a Text based startup screen. And those "videos"? useless.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTheBird View Post
    I want a Text based startup screen. And those "videos"? useless.
    Why is a video option useless? Nearly every roguelike played over telnet is being recorded, and people have put a lot of effort in writing tools to give the opportunity to record/watch console based stuff. This means many people (including me) don't think it's useless at all. It adds VERY much to the game IMO to be able to view former mistakes or achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by RotateMe View Post
    Why is a video option useless? Nearly every roguelike played over telnet is being recorded, and people have put a lot of effort in writing tools to give the opportunity to record/watch console based stuff. This means many people (including me) don't think it's useless at all. It adds VERY much to the game IMO to be able to view former mistakes or achievements.

I think I've already see somewhere on a site smalls 'videos" of ADOM to explain how to become a level10 wizard easely from a level1 (kill holtemplotz with long range spells).

so it exist and it could be (maybe) include in JADE if it is easy.

But, it is just a suggestion. and of course, it is not the primary objective: having a Beta

you want to fight me?!