Thread: Help me with my Monk

Default Help me with my Monk

Hello

I'm a longtime player of ADOM. I've basic won twice with elven wizards, and have switched to melee characters in attempting to get an ultra ending.

Had some luck with a Barbarian, but my lack of melee experience caused me to die at ~D:32 in a fight with a mimic hivemind. I had no idea.

Now I'm running a Candle-born Gnomish monk who is doing extremely well. Found BoW in PC vault. Have been flying through the game since. Haven't found an AoLS, but haven't drunk Darkforge, and found a ring vendor in the UD so I'm optimistic.

I killed Keethrax, did PC, found HMV, met with Thrundarr, who gave me a dwarven chaos knight. Did pyramid, did Dwarven Graveyard. Was using a scythe of mayhem, but, now at level 18, my unarmed attack is better.

My stats are S 21, L 19, W 17, D 18 (+8 from BoW = 27), T 20, C 12, A 11, M 18, P 16.

Wearing an elven chain mail (damaged down to 0, +2 by a hag or something). Ankh. No special hats, girdles or cloaks. Rings of speed and stun resistance. Elemental gauntlets. Light boots. Lots of arrows, have a long bow of accuracy.

While looking for my dwarven chaos knight for Thrundarr, I decided to perhaps pre-maturely do the Tomb of the High Kings. Found an altar on one of the caverns, which was cool, but started to find myself surrounded by Doppelganger Lords, living walls, somewhat overpowered rats, spiders and jackals, Dorn beasts and other things. Got down to the king. Crossed the water with Frost Bolt, which I've recently learned and trained with book casting. King was whacking me pretty hard, so I left.

What should I do now?

I'm thinking my stats could use some boosting and I haven't tamed the Big Room. I could also do the Dwarven Halls, but with no means of teleportation, I'm a little nervous. I have a ring of ice but I'm not ready for ToEF.

As it's just passed Day 30 and I've spent far too much time in melee (especially delving toward ToTHK), I wanted to get feedback before continuing.

You can raise your stats without taming the big room. Especially raising toughness does not require that many herbs, just 10 morgia roots should be enough for +5 To.

Next, prepare for draining the pools. Checklist of preparations:

- do the first 19 arena fights, so that 1 pot of visibility is enough to finish later in case of intrinsic invis
    - have a way to remove sickness
    - be strong enough to deal with the golems
    - have a way to remove dooming (lots of piety)

To become strong enough to deal with the golems, you could rob DF first, without touching the pools. Of course, for robbing you need controlled teleportation. Getting the wand should not be too difficult. Stairhop ID 3-4 for a blink dog, try to generate two corpses, eat the first and sell the second to the shop. Robbing DF, you are highly likely to find a kickass weapon and you might find a better elven chain mail too, with some luck.

Then there is the question how to get enough piety. The slow way is to pick stoma. The faster way is to sell some artifacts in DT and sac the gold. To get them back later on, you can put your ventriloquism skill to good use. If you confuse the shopkeeper, you turn him hostile with no further negative consequenses.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Thanks for the advice!

Well, I followed your advice, save the ID scumming bit (I already found blink dogs and stashed a corpse).

But I had no source of teleportation to make the pools in DF accessible. I took on the steel golem and he took me down to 2/3rds health before I beat him. Not that promising...

So instead, I went through DH, did the arena, killed ogres, took down a demon with two dragon slaying ammo. Then I took my 3 rings of acid resistance and 2 blessed potions of exchange to DL: 8. Dipped and got two three rings of damage. Dipped and got three rings of luck. Blessed those, put them on, and Gremlin Bombed. Only twenty pickpockets in and I got another potion of exchange, blessed it. Kept on my rings of luck and dipped my 2 brass rings ---> 2 RoDS.

On my third try! But I was wearing two blessed rings of luck, the ankh, and had lucky and Fate Smiles, so.

I successfully got the AoLS down to Khelly. Already have a boar skull and a scroll of danger... keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes to plan.

Love a monk!

WELL,

This turned into my first Ultra victory, (UNE). Thank you.

Congratulations!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Seriously I can't imagine playing a wizard ever again. It's much easier to manage missile inventory than spells. I loved playing a monk, I'm moving on to paladin / barbarian next.