Thread: yet another what to wish for question

Default yet another what to wish for question

Here is the situation. I had a high elf archer pool sipping, just before taking on the tower. The elf had:

- killed Kelly and obtained water orb
    - 1 fireproof blanket, 1 ring of fire resistance and intrinsic fire resist.
    - no light source
    - crowned with Divine Boots
    - literacy stuck at around 60
    - limited ammo, high skill in bows but very low skill in rocks & xbows
    - no decent shield, wielding an eternium 2hander
    - 12 Pots of EH

While sipping, one of the first sips granted a wish. What would you have wished for in this situation? Some options I considered:

Rings of ice to protect bow & ammo in tower?
    Rings of invisibility to not have to fight all the fire elementals and fire demons?
    Eternium tower shields?
    Red dragon scale mails?
    Pairs of seven league boots?
    Everburning torches, because extra vision range is great on an archer?
    Spellbooks of farsight?
    Fletchery sets?
    Find Weakness?

What would you have done?
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 01-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

nathrakh Guest

If you think you can handle ToEF go for fletchery sets, otherwise RDSM/rings of ice.

Several valid options in that list. Perhaps rings of ice (what does "limited ammo" mean? What happened to your starting fletchery set?). Though my answer would have to be that I don't pool-sip at all if I don't have a very specific wish in mind.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Limited ammo means that I had not bothered to use fletchery yet, that's all. Original set still stashed somewhere.

I personally think invisibility is fantastic for an archer doing the tower, better than rings of ice. Defeating the Wyrm is easy with a few backup bows, a couple of slaying arrows and some arrows of thunder/darkness, but defeating 20 fire elementals and 20 fire demons (with some danger to be surrounded) is what makes the tower hard. That is also the reason I was sipping in the first place, hoping for +invis.

Doesn't invisibility come from potions?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

If you are low on slaying ammo, I say go find weakness. It is amazing for archers, and without slaying ammo it can help kill hard bosses.
    Fletchery sets... meh. Just farm some arrows, it only takes around 10min.
    I like a dick in my ass. That's what she said!!!1!11shift!+!

Archer level 18 Fletchery is awesome. But you only ever need one fletchery set if you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Doesn't invisibility come from potions?
    Good point. In this particular game I had only one of those, though (no treasure hunter ). That's an uncomfortably short duration. Having the effect run out at the wrong moment can be a disaster..

Fletchery sets... meh. Just farm some arrows, it only takes around 10min.
    Fletchery sets is still a tempting wish. I know that you can generate a good quantity with just one set or with farming, but if you have several sets you can easily get hundreds of arrows that all stack. That means you can shoot at every kobold in sight without ever needing to worry, which is still a luxury. Better yet, you have a good chance of getting a large stack of arrows of slaying. If you do, this is much more impressive than Find Weakness, even though it is not guaranteed.

You can get hundreds of arrows that all stack using a single set though.