Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Forge your own artifact

Default Forge your own artifact

Alright, so say you could design/create an artifact. What would it be? Here one of my ideas, based off the Heritage of Shannara series of books:

Arcane Dagger "Stiehl"
    Weight: 20s
    When used in melee combat it grants a +10 bonus to hit and causes 2d4+13 points of damage.
    When used as a missile it grants a +20 bonus to hit and causes 3d7 points of damage
    It ignores PV
    It grants immunity to fire attacks.
    It has an increased chance of causing bleeding wounds.

As well as one of my own inventions:

Split-Halberd "Volkenspiel"
    Weight: 120s
    When worn it modifies the dexterity attribute by +6 and the mana attribute by +10.
    When used in melee combat it grants a +11 bonus to hit and causes 2d5+10 points of damage.
    When used as a missile it grants a -3 bonus to hit and causes 1d5 points of damage.
    It delivers an additional 4d6 points of lightning damage on each hit.
    It grants immunity to lightning.
    It grants a lightning ball attack to it's wielder(Similar to Improved Fireball, but for lighting. Used as an ability, so no castings, but still consumes PP)

The first one is basically an hyper xtreme murderage phase dagger, right? It would instantly enter top tier with those abilities - extremely high base damage plus PV bypassing can fully make up for the lack of slaying, especially if you get the kitty ring and the bracers of war plus Find Weakness. Bless it and you got the best emperor moloch killer around. Maybe a bit OP?

The second one would be very annoying to use with the constant lightning attacks... Improved Lightning Ball for everyone? At least it'd practically force players to think about how to use it - just bashing stuff with it is nice, but I think weapon elemental damage has to overcome PV too - "You don't manage to penetrate the defenses of..."? Against anything resistant to lightning it would be horribly weak, and the ball won't help either in that special case. Irony - you are immune to lightning, but you can't kill the ancient blue dragon with your weapon either. Who'll stare the other into submission first?

If it were up to me I'd try and make artifacts that allow for special playstyles.

I just had an idea for a couple of horribly overpowered artifacts...

eldritch emerald amulet "Plaguebearer"
    When worn it modifies the toughness attribute by -25.
    When used in melee combat it grants a +0 bonus to hit and causes 1d1 damage.
    When used as a missile it grants a +14 bonus to hit and causes 2d4+8 damage.
    It causes your attacks to inflict terrible diseases on your opponents.

steel shackles "Doomshackles" (bracer type)
    Weight: 800 stones
    When worn it modifies your DV by -10, your PV by -10 and your dexterity attribute by -25.
    When used in melee combat it grants a -25 bonus to hit and causes 1d4+2 damage.
    When used as a missile it grants a -25 bonus to hit and causes 1d4+2 damage.
    It is a permantently cursed item.
    It grants bad luck.
    Wearing it makes you doomed.
    When true berserking, it grants a +100 bonus to hit and +50 damage bonus.

silken girdle "Pussystring"
    Weight: 1 stone
    When worn it modifies your DV by +20 and your willpower attribute by -25.
    When used in melee combat it grants a -100 bonus to hit and causes 1d1-50 damage.
    When used as a missile it grants a -100 bonus to hit and causes 1d1-49 damage.
    It can be used to teleport at will.
    It allows you to control teleportation.
    Wearing this makes you permanently bloated.

Together they are the trinity of overpowered cheeseness.
    Last edited by Silfir; 04-23-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

colourful skull staff "The Jester's Cane" (+7, 1d50) [+5, -5] {Dx+9}

Weight: 40s

It grants teleporting powers.
    It grants resistance to a different element every round.
    On criticals it transforms creatures as if they were hit by a potion of exchange.
    It cannot harm or transform undead or constructs.

(yeah, silly, but that's the whole point of inventing your own artifacts)
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Inspired by the Death Gate Cycle books:
    The Ancient Dagger "Haplo's Bane" (+3, 5d5) [+2, +2]
    Weight: 5s
    It grants slaying powers against all chaotics.
    It contains the essance of chaos and corruption.
    If dropped, it will automatically rejoin your inventory
    in the disguise of a highly valued item.
    It can only be nullified by immersion in water.

Inspired by Salvatore's Cleric quintet books:
    The Runed Gauntlets "Gheraferu" [+1, +1].
    Weight: 10s
    It allows you to switch bodies (and minds) with any
    monster of your choosing for 3d20 game turns.
    Can only be destroyed by dragon's breath.

Inspired by, well, me:
    The small shield "Gut's Companion" [+4, +4]. {To+4}
    Weight: 40s
    It grants immunity to fire.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

artifact whip

I don't even care what it does, as long as it's better than a regular whip and you can be crowned with it. =P

Here's mine:

ghostly ring "Spirit Catcher" [+2,+3]

Weight 2s.

It grants resistance to death attacks.
    It is a permanently cursed item.
    It grants resistance to paralyzation.
    It grants resistance to acid.

While wearing this ring, you equip any other weapons, armour, or items.
    It looks you to pass through (diggable) walls.

divine rock "Holy Hand Grenade" (-10, 20d20)

Weight 5s.

It is a rabbit slayer.
    It explodes on contact.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I suggested this in an earlier thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    ----- the evil dagger "Your Doom" (-50,1d1-50) [-75,-50] {To-40} (-50 spd)-----

Weight: 9990s

The glowing rune-covered dagger is really the cursed evil dagger "Your Doom"
    (-50, 1d1-50) [-75, -50] {To-40} (-50 spd) .

When worn it modifies DV by -75 and PV by -50.

When used in melee combat it grants a -50 bonus to hit and causes 1d1-50 points
    of damage. When used as a missile it grants a -50 bonus to hit and causes
    1d1-50 points of damage.

It is a permanently cursed item.
    It modifies your toughness attribute by -40.
    It modifies your speed by -50.
    It grants bad luck.
    Wearing it makes you doomed.
    It grants teleporting powers.
    It contains the essence of Chaos and Corruption.

And it is a two-handed weapon, by the way... no smithed shields can save you! (:

And imagine the face of the player when he realizes what that "obvious artifact" dagger really is... (:<
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I can already imagine... Your average ADOM powergamer finds a dagger weighing 9990 stones and immediately thinks "Woohoo! KICKASS!". Cue gathering of five hundred morgia and spending 30 days in the wilderness pumping Toughness to godly amounts.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Holy Hammer "God's Arm" (+7, 7d7) [+7,+7]

Weight: 53s

When it kills a creature in melee it grants only 50% experience.
    When it kills a saccable creature in melee it is considered sacrificed alive to the Deity.

I`ve always wanted to see something like that:

Ancient black sword "Armageddon`s blade" (+0,1d10+10) [+0,+0]

Weight: 15 000s

It is permanently cursed item.
    It receives +5 to-hit and +5 to-damage with every cursed item you have equipped.
    It receives +10 to-hit and +10 to-damage when you`re cursed.
    It receives +50 to-hit and +50 to-damage when you`re doomed.
    It reduces its weight by 1500s (down to 1s) with every cursed item equipped.
    It grants slaying powers with every cursed item equipped.
    It grants resistances and immunities with each cursed item equipped.
    It gathers the essence of Chaos and Corruption that needs to be released every 1000 turns.
    It can`t be unequipped.

This sword would gather corruption and corrupt monsters when hit (and not killed) until they turn into WMoPC. If PC wouldn`t corrupt enough monsters he would`ve take the corruption himself so the game would be a constant "power or less corruption" struggle.

Sword like that would also allow 2 more endings - World Destroyer (if you kill Andy and other other gods (?) with it) and World Saviour (if you sacrifice yourself and destroy the sword in the process?)

EDIT: And it would be a 2-hander.
    Last edited by QuickDraw; 04-23-2009 at 08:52 AM.