Thread: Writing scrolls

Default Writing scrolls

How bad would be trying to write a SoCR with, let's say, a beastfighter? I don't think I ever tried that before, and could use some right now. Most importantly I'd like to know if there's risk of something stupid happening, like for example instant death ;).

It doesn't seem too bad. On a quick test, a beastfighter with 100 literacy made a bunch of SoCRs with only taking 100-200 damage each time. If you have a reasonable amount of PP, the effect is probably less. I believe there can also be a small amount of permanent HP/PP loss, but I don't recall it being that bad, maybe 5-10 points.

Don't try it if your literacy isn't 100 or very, very close. The chance of failure + losing your writing set is very high. Even if it works, the damage is probably worse too.

[edit] There are quite a few guarenteed SoCRs available in the game. Have you found any of those yet?
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 04-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Use a blessed scroll and a blessed writing set. That will minimize negative effects.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Well if I had enough of them already, I wouldn't bother writing more . Unfortunately I have only 2 and 1 !oCC for the final dive (Nuurag and D:50, maybe greater vault with karmics too). It's writing or the Library and trying to get the tome. Fortunately I have Literacy at 100, will bless everything and see what happens.

EDIT: I lost 10 mana points per scroll with blessed writing set and blessed blank scroll. Not a great loss for a beastfighter, especially that I didn't have high mana and it just stuck at 1. HP loss was negligible. So it would seem it was quite a good idea.