Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac ADOM in App Store?

Default Mac ADOM in App Store?

Have you considered updating the Mac version of ADOM and offering it in the new Mac app store? Seems like it would be a good way to generate a small revenue stream...

Paul

In addition to having it available free for download on the adom.de homepage?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

they are mac users, silfir
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    In addition to having it available free for download on the adom.de homepage?
    No need for sarcasm.

It occurred to me that if Thomas was able to offer some sort of update that would fall in the line of a premium version (he had always talked about selling a version of ADOM with additional features) he could leverage the big opportunity of the new Mac app store. Developers are making money hand over fist there and it'd be cool if he could get some new players (and some return on his investment in ADOM) who might not be so familiar with adom.de or rogue-like games, etc. but who do like pimping out their new computers with software. We do happen to be a niche-community here.

Heck, I imagine that even if he just debugged some and released a non "beta" version for Mac and put it up there he might get a few downloads...especially if he priced it low. I don't think many Mac users are likely to find the Mac ADOM version here...I know I only know it as a PC ADOM player who has to negotiate Macs at work.

That was not actually sarcasm; I didn't understand your plan yet.

This looks like a revival of the ADOM Deluxe project then, correct? That's always an option. I think Thomas has his mind made up on that though.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

ADOM Deluxe already exists in the form of jaakkos' server

I'd say there's nothing wrong with having a "Donation" version of ADOM on the Mac store. Currently you can download the game and make paypal donation to TB - combining the two whilst also increases ADOM's visibility is no bad thing.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

i also wasn't being sarcastic or insulting with my comment. as i said on irc
    just after, i don't really consider it a controversial statement that apple
    users have no problem paying for free stuff (or even stuff they have
    previously bought, for that matter)

Sorry for jumping to conclusions...

Maybe the Mac issue is we're used to paying the Apple Tax for our hardware so throwing money at software isn't a big issue...also, although there are many Mac nerds who are comfortable working in terminal there are many others who buy Macs so they don't have to know/do anything about/with computers...thus app stores suffice for their software gathering. I'm sure it'd be too much work to do any major updates but I hate to see the opportunity of being an early dev go to waste for this new market...if anyone deserves to earn a few bucks it's Thomas.

Personally, I've only ever paid for one software title for Mac...a port of Civ IV because I was dying of boredom at work. Also, I've got XP running in bootcamp. But, I dig the Mac version of ADOM more than PC because it keeps me honest. It's too much of a pain to dig in the library for the save files so I never save scum.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    they are mac users, silfir
    This i take as a compliment.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

it wasn't meant as either compliment or detriment, just what i see as fact.

I even see it as being sometimes logical. For example, a person making
    $10 p/h ($0.17 p/m) would prolly benefit from paying $1.00 for something
    easy, as opposed to paying $0 and having to fiddle with it for 10 minutes
    ($1.70 worth of their time). That just isn't my way of thinking though, I'd
    rather do the fiddling, as that is my idea of fun anyway : )