Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fantasy Book Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I read Elantris too and it was a great read, but if you haven't read Mistborn yet, you are missing out.
    That's my next read :-D

Read some of Sword of Truth, enjoyed the first books. But the latter books were too.. I dunno. It stopped interesting me.

Read Lord of the Rings when I was young and easily impressed, it remains a favourite.

I read a few books of Robin Hobb and liked them a lot, would like to read more from her.

Also liked the Dark Tower series, even though I am rather ashamed to admit it. They were overall not great books, but somehow I enjoyed them anyway.

Heard a lot of good things about song of ice and fire, it's on top of my to-read list.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

well certainly one of the things that could be said of the song of fire and ice is that it could use an 18+ label, if those would be given to books. With the film series, I didn't come farther than the first delivery because of this. Nonetheless the books are quite interesting indeed; not the usual fantasy.

I suppose my favourites are these, more or less: Harry Potter, Robin Hobb (except for the series without the dragons) and the Wheel of Time. The last books by Brandon Sanderson were nice indeed, so probably I'll go reading Elantris and the others soon.
    For Lord of the Rings I probably saw the movie too often (guess I saw the first part about 15 times)

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Also liked the Dark Tower series, even though I am rather ashamed to admit it. They were overall not great books, but somehow I enjoyed them anyway.
    I didn't think the series was that bad. The story has great characterization that I think is very compelling, and is, at times, pretty hilarious. The plot is coherent in a weird sort of way (except for book 4...). I think the problem is that King is much better at building up tension in his stories and then resolves it in some lame, anticlimactic way. He has this habit where you get to the "Oh no, how on Earth are they going to escape this time?" part, and then the bad guy trips over a rock, breaks his skull and dies.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I didn't think the series was that bad. The story has great characterization that I think is very compelling, and is, at times, pretty hilarious.
    Ah, you read it as well? What book did you like best?

The things I liked best about the series was the way he pictures scenes, lots of ruins of an ancient civilization that decayed, interesting bad guys. I think my favourite book would be the Wastelands.

I think the problem is that King is much better at building up tension in his stories and then resolves it in some lame, anticlimactic way.
    Yeah, that's King in a nutshell. Also the total story didn't seem that consistent to me.. It isn't clear why Roland wants to reach the tower, and the events feel a bit random sometimes. Also, in the later books I started to get tired of King referencing his own books and himself.

But yes, still worth reading.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I think I liked Drawing of the Three and Wastelands best (and I'll include the first bit of Glass that finishes off Wastelands with those... one of my favourite scenes from the whole series). My understanding of the series is kind of screwed up, because I read Drawing first and never got around to reading the Gunslinger until a couple years after I'd already read Wizard and Glass, so the first book never really fit in properly for me. Except for the one scene at the start of it, I think Wizard and Glass is probably the weakest book in the series, although I didn't really care much for the last book either.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

a BOOK?
    well if we talk about books there is only one book i can think of -Harry Potter
    but it's not exactly fantasy.

And the way I know it's a spammer is, of course, that Harry Potter is absolutely fantasy, even if not classical high fantasy.

(And the fact there used to be a download link in this guy's signature and the wrong answer to the profession question)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

i think maybe another attempt to get tb to implement an actual r/c question check is in order...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

"Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin" ~ I haven't read this yet and you made me wonder what the story of this is all about.