Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Favorite Fantasy Book Series?

I have read none of these books:

[('The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie.txt', [(112, 'damn'), (89, 'dead'), (72, 'bastard'), (58, 'killed'), (51, 'hell'), (47, 'shit'), (42, 'death'), (41, 'kill'), (23, 'piss'), (17, 'killing'), (15, 'stabbed'), (11, 'assassin'), (11, 'ass'), (10, 'stab'), (9, 'torture'), (9, 'bastards'), (9, 'agony'), (8, 'murder'), (7, 'pissed'), (7, 'dying'), (7, 'bitch'), (6, 'stabbing'), (5, 'whore'), (3, 'tortured'), (3, 'thief'), (3, 'stolen'), (3, 'murdered'), (3, 'crime'), (2, 'thieves'), (2, 'deaths'), (2, 'criminal'), (1, 'whores'), (1, 'suffer'), (1, 'stole'), (1, 'stealing'), (1, 'steal'), (1, 'stabs'), (1, 'rape'), (1, 'bitches'), (695, 'total naughty words'), (196526, 'total words in book'), (282, 'neutral words per naughty')]),

I now see the value of including the ratio. I also see what tootboot means
    by 'too long'. Seriously, 200,000 words? Geez! Anyway, one naughty word
    every 282 non-naughty ones doesn't look so bad, but... this book has more
    shitting than death, that can't be good.

('The Alloy of Law_ A Mistborn Novel - Sanderson_ Brandon.txt', [(36, 'dead'), (34, 'kill'), (27, 'killed'), (22, 'damn'), (21, 'criminal'), (17, 'thieves'), (15, 'death'), (13, 'stolen'), (12, 'crime'), (11, 'hell'), (10, 'dying'), (8, 'stealing'), (7, 'steal'), (7, 'killing'), (6, 'murdered'), (4, 'thief'), (4, 'stole'), (4, 'murder'), (3, 'bastard'), (2, 'stab'), (1, 'whores'), (1, 'suffer'), (1, 'murdering'), (1, 'deaths'), (267, 'total naughty words'), (99919, 'total words in book'), (374, 'neutral words per naughty')]),

A bit more tame here. The ratio is only slightly better, but it seems the
    naughtiness of the words seems much reduced. Hmm, now I need to start
    ranking naughtiness, as it is unfair to put words that aren't even
    censored on TV as being equally naughty as those that are... Who am I kidding,
    I'm far too lazy for that

('The drawing of the three - Stephen King.txt', [(79, 'dead'), (59, 'shit'), (57, 'kill'), (55, 'hell'), (43, 'killed'), (40, 'ass'), (35, 'death'), (31, 'dying'), (25, 'bitch'), (10, 'damn'), (8, 'killing'), (7, 'stealing'), (6, 'piss'), (5, 'rape'), (5, 'crime'), (4, 'stole'), (4, 'murder'), (4, 'agony'), (3, 'tortured'), (3, 'stolen'), (3, 'bastard'), (2, 'whore'), (2, 'thief'), (2, 'steal'), (2, 'slut'), (2, 'raping'), (2, 'murdering'), (2, 'murdered'), (2, 'bitches'), (1, 'torture'), (1, 'thieves'), (1, 'suffer'), (1, 'stab'), (1, 'sluts'), (1, 'pisses'), (1, 'criminal'), (1, 'bastards'), (510, 'total naughty words'), (132520, 'total words in book'), (259, 'neutral words per naughty')]),

This is from the 'Dark Tower' series that grobble mentioned.

('The gunslinger - Stephen King.txt', [(50, 'dead'), (26, 'kill'), (22, 'death'), (15, 'hell'), (13, 'dying'), (12, 'killed'), (8, 'murder'), (7, 'killing'), (6, 'shit'), (6, 'agony'), (5, 'ass'), (4, 'stabbed'), (3, 'whore'), (3, 'steal'), (3, 'bitch'), (2, 'tortured'), (2, 'slut'), (2, 'rape'), (2, 'pissed'), (1, 'thief'), (1, 'stabbing'), (1, 'stab'), (1, 'slay'), (1, 'murdered'), (1, 'deaths'), (1, 'damn'), (1, 'criminal'), (1, 'bastard'), (200, 'total naughty words'), (69556, 'total words in book'), (347, 'neutral words per naughty')])]

This one isn't too bad, considering the premise of the book.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Well.

My favorite book was "The Sleeping Dragon" but I never read the Guardians of the Flame series. (The first book fully explore the premise -- at least from here to there, even if not all points between -- so I couldn't reason how further adventures could be any more exciting.)

Favorite series is Dragonlance Chronicles.

Misc notes:

Myth Adventures were obviously just a series of adventures, and I like them very much... until I was 15 and it was explained to me that those were children's books.

Elric Saga disappointed me when I realized they are just a series of adventures rather than epic tale; I wanted much more continuity.

I'd like to send props out to SnarfQuest!

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    ('The drawing of the three - Stephen King.txt', [(79, 'dead'), (59, 'shit'), (57, 'kill'), (55, 'hell'), (43, 'killed'), (40, 'ass'), (35, 'death'), (31, 'dying'), (25, 'bitch'), (10, 'damn'), (8, 'killing'), (7, 'stealing'), (6, 'piss'), (5, 'rape'), (5, 'crime'), (4, 'stole'), (4, 'murder'), (4, 'agony'), (3, 'tortured'), (3, 'stolen'), (3, 'bastard'), (2, 'whore'), (2, 'thief'), (2, 'steal'), (2, 'slut'), (2, 'raping'), (2, 'murdering'), (2, 'murdered'), (2, 'bitches'), (1, 'torture'), (1, 'thieves'), (1, 'suffer'), (1, 'stab'), (1, 'sluts'), (1, 'pisses'), (1, 'criminal'), (1, 'bastards'), (510, 'total naughty words'), (132520, 'total words in book'), (259, 'neutral words per naughty')]),
    The count might be twice as high if you also scan for "fuck" and "fucking".
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I have to admit - I don't think "lots of shitting and death" is that inaccurate an estimation of Joe Abercrombie's books. They're all the way at the gritty, dark and cynical end of the scale. There are few characters who are not murderers or assholes or murderous assholes, and those who aren't tend to have other crippling character flaws and none of them are happy. The only guy who's happy in that world is also the biggest and most powerful murderous asshole.

I really, really enjoyed reading those books, mind you. I love the author's style and sense of humour and I love the stories told in them - and I love the characters, too. With very few exceptions, they retain just enough humanity that you feel for them, even if they also happen to be murderers, cowards, assholes or just complete nutcases.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

('The drawing of the three - Stephen King.txt', [(79, 'dead'), (59, 'shit'), (57, 'kill'), (55, 'hell'), (43, 'killed'), (40, 'fucking'), (40, 'ass'), (35, 'fuck'), (35, 'death'), (31, 'dying'), (25, 'bitch'), (10, 'damn'), (8, 'killing'), (7, 'stealing'), (6, 'piss'), (6, 'fucked'), (5, 'rape'), (5, 'crime'), (4, 'stole'), (4, 'murder'), (4, 'agony'), (3, 'tortured'), (3, 'stolen'), (3, 'bastard'), (2, 'whore'), (2, 'thief'), (2, 'steal'), (2, 'slut'), (2, 'raping'), (2, 'murdering'), (2, 'murdered'), (2, 'bitches'), (1, 'torture'), (1, 'thieves'), (1, 'suffer'), (1, 'stab'), (1, 'sluts'), (1, 'pisses'), (1, 'criminal'), (1, 'bastards'), (591, 'total naughty words'), (132520, 'total words in book'), (224, 'neutral words per naughty')])

Steven 'potty-mouth' King -_-
    Last edited by gut; 01-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

The Dark Tower series of Stephen King. I haven't even read all of them, but I do when I get the chance. I read the entirety of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle. started off pretty good, but I was dissapointed in the end on how Galby got his. I mean, seriously.

PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS!! Maybe it's not Strictly a fantasy series, but it's totally awesome!! Gripping action, smooth humour -and a small touch of romance in the end between our fav team Percabeth, but nothing major- and more mythology than you can shake a stick at. what's not to love?

Does the Dresden Files count? Might not be "high" fantasy enough.
    "... you must first invent the universe."

Obviusly the J.R.R. Tolkien's books. Next the series of Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock and as third place the Dragonlance saga.
    Roguelikes: dying is half the fun.

My philosophy blog for philosophy enthusiasts and professional philosophers.