Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fantasy Book Series?

Default Favorite Fantasy Book Series?

Just wondering what people who play ADOM read. I am currently reading the incredible Wheel of Time series by Robert Jorden. If you haven't read them, you really should check them out. The series is incredibly long (14 books, each about 1000 pages). It in my opinion is fantasy at it's best. Jorden is an incredible author. I have also read the Xanth series by Piers Anthony (about five years ago) and a little of David Eddings books (although I have most of them). But The Wheel of Time just blows them all away. Fantastic writing.

Anyway, any of your favorite series/books/authors, post below.

i tried to read wheel of time several times, but just couldn't get
    interested. everybody praises it so much, i keep trying it again
    and again. just seems stupid to me. i am willing to suspend my
    disbelief enough to enjoy just about any fantasy, but there are
    just limits. having said that, i will list my fantasy book enjoyings
    relatively chonologically.

xanth

Robert Asprin's 'another fine myth' series. I have read (and listened to) the first book 'another
    fine myth' so many times i almost have it memorized. I may load it again when I'm done typing

legend of huma and some other dragonlance

cleric quintet and a bunch more from R.A Salvatore

Death Gate Cycle series (one of my favorites)

a bunch of Terry Brooks stuff, especially liked 'Landover' and 'running with demons' (was it also
    called trolltown?)

Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth series (this guy is a nut (and i really hope i'm not mixing my terry's))

harry potter (was really late to this series, just eventually gave in to the inevitible)

several more good ones i'm forgetting, i'm sure

here is an old brinkster link about this topic
    http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=61832
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I think my favourite is probably Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (the inspiration for HBO's new Game of Thrones show). It's really in another league compared to pretty much every other fantasy series I've read: the depth of characters, complexity of plot, and amount of detail are really stellar. Definitely worth a look for anyone who loves fantasy. The series is very dark and is definitely geared to an adult audience.

I've read the Wheel of Time and am kind of hot and cold on it. Some of the books are very good, a few others are really dreadful--particularly in the books 6-10ish range. The last few have been much better (sadly, I think my favourite books in the series are the posthumous ones). I think what Jordan's books suffer from is mostly very flat characters. All of the good guys are good guys; all of the bad guys are bad guys; very few characters ever really break out of their established moulds.

I enjoyed the Sword of Truth series quite a bit as well. Goodkind gets a little preachy with the Objectivism in some of the latter books (although not quite to the level of Atlas Shrugged), which gets a little annoying. Some of the plots are pretty contrived too, but it's good fun for the most part.

When I was younger I enjoyed the books by Raymond E. Feist (Midkemia series? I don't know if there's an official name for the whole thing). I haven't picked up any of his books in over ten years though, so I don't know if I'd still find him as compelling as I did.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams is probably my favorite as regards to High Fantasy that is not Lord of the Rings. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn is pretty damn great, too. Haven't read the Wheel of Time yet. I have read David Eddings and I thought it was alright, but that was a long time ago.

I haven't read Song of Ice and Fire either. As far as dark fantasy goes, I'm pretty sure it doesn't get darker than Joe Abercrombie. His First Law trilogy is excellent, it's just that you yearn for the the jolly optimism and rainbows of a world war documentary after you're done.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Witcher

Guess i am not reading english series anyway as slavians looks better for me.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Default fantasy series

I have read most of R.A. Salvatore's books and enjoyed them but what i really liked was the 'War on the spider queen' series

It was produced by R.A. Salvatore but each book in the six book series has a different author. I think Salvatore wrote out the general story then each author expanded on it in their book.

It is about Lolth going silent and a group of bad a** dark elfs travels to from Menzoberanzan to different area of the underdark to the surface and to a few different planes.

It seems like it's a little more adult oriented then Salvatores book a little more dark and in depth.

I would highly suggest it to any fan of Salvatore, forgotten reals, D&D, or fantasy in general

I'm currently reading the wheel of time too! Almost finished book 8.
    Some other series you might want to check out that I really enjoyed are:

The Farseer Trilogy, The Tawny Man Trilogy - Robin Hobb, Fantastic series, probably my favourite. There's also 2 more series set in the same world though I haven't yet read them.

Pelmen the Powershaper - Robert Don Hughes

Cenotaph Road Series - Robert E. Vardeman

Spellsinger Series - Alan Dean Foster, This series was pretty funny though the books became slightly formulaic as I progressed through them.

The Winter of the World - Michael Scott Rohan, I've only read the first 2 of these and I really enjoyed them, still trying to track down the others.

The Duncton Chronicles, The Book of Silence - William Horwood, Really enjoyed this series when I read it about 15 years ago.

Dragon Knight - Gordon R. Dickson, Some interesting characters in this one, and the grumpy wizard always made me laugh.

Vlad Taltos - Steven Brust, I've only read about 3 or 4 of these but they are good, I'll re-read them once I get them all!

The Axis Trilogy - Sara Douglass

This is all I could think of at the moment, but it should keep you going for a while

Just finished reading two standalone books by Brandon Sanderson (who is writing the posthumous Wheel of Time books) named "Elantris" (his first book) & "Warbreaker". Both good books I would recommend to anyone. I really enjoy Brandon's writing style. I started Wheel of Time a few years ago, and couldn't get into it either. Stopped around book 3.

If anyone is interested, you can actually get "Warbreaker" for free right from Brandon's site. Or here's the link to download the full book in PDF (from his site): Warbreaker

Other Fantasy Series I enjoyed immensely:

- Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (see list of specific books below)
    + Chronicles Trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, Spring Dawning) followed up years later by Dragons of Summer Flame
    + Legends Trilogy (Time, War & Test of the Twins)
    + The Raistlin Chronicles (The Soulforge & Brother in Arms)

- Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (EXCELLENT SERIES!!)
    + Dragon Wing, Elven Star, Fire Sea, Serpent Mage, The Hand of Chaos, Into the Labyrinth, The Seventh Gate

- Harry Potter Series (quite good if you get into it. it really is!)

I read Elantris too and it was a great read, but if you haven't read Mistborn yet, you are missing out.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

nathrakh Guest

I too like various Dragonlance books.

e: I used to go to library and loan a good few kilograms of those massive opuses of "books". It's so addicting I often read all night. Damn, I need to start visiting the library again - it's free here after all!