Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General JADE ideas, races, classes, weapons, skills, etc.

This is a question for gut, silfer, and all the other ancient members. You guys probably have played ADOM more than most. So I was wondering, (with your vast knowledge of the game) if any of you guys had any ideas as to features or content that you might like to see in JADE.

I had some more ideas for town features. I'd like there to be a high chance (up to 100% ) of seeing these in the starting village, and variable chances in other kinds of towns:

An Adventurer's Guild or Shop: You need to become a member if it's a guild. They sell a few items, mainly maps, scrolls of mapping, healing potions and such. More rarely other magical items, but only the types that don't require a class/skill: potions, rings, amulets, cloaks, gauntlets, maybe scrolls. They also buy these items. Occasionally you can get a quest here, stuff like find a certain item, map part of the overland or a dungeon, send a message to someone in another town.

A carpenter and/or a bricklayer: these sell and buy basic crafting stuff such as nails, boards, stones. After an attack/destructive player/earthquake/etc. they come to repair the damage. In case of threatening armies, they might start building palisades or walls, etc. If they like you a lot, they might teach you a few things for a fee.

@Cass
    I like the idea of watching a "bricklayer" repair the wall I just tore down. or the other tasks you mentioned.

SOME RANDOM NPC's FOR TOWNS,( Probably very rare to see one but would add flavor IMO)

A GARDENER/PLANTER,
    might occasionally plant a tree in town,
    on rare occasion might try and plant some herbs,
    will gladly accept seeds,
    if given enough seeds he will join you as a companion.

A NECROMANCER,(would only be found in chaotic towns)
    might offer you gold in exchange for corpses,
    might raise corpses as slaves if they are in his line of sight.

A WANDERING WIZARD,
    might offer to recharge a wand for a fee,
    might occasionally move to a different town,

A DRIFTER,
    might occasionally move to a different town,
    will gladly accept money like a beggar.

A SHOP THIEF,
    would be funny to see someone else try to steal from a shop.

A HEALER, (would only be found in lawful towns)
    might be found healing citizens after an attack,
    might offer his services as a hireling and heal you in combat.

Another town feature,

An Arena,
    some towns could have a chance to generate their own arena,
    the PC might be given a choice to either (f)ight or (s)pectate,
    there might be a gladiator or two wandering around town,(until they die by your hand in the arena)
    there could be lowered shop prices for the town champion.

I did not check to see if this (or something similar)has already been suggested (it is a fairly generic idea)
    but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by CloudKing; 12-04-2011 at 07:31 AM.

ok some spells,

REACH,(cast on a (t)arget stack of items and they will magically jump into your pack. Range might start at 2 or 3 and then increase with spell level.)
    THROWN DARKNESS,(a darkness spell you can cast at a distance.)
    WATER BOLT,(i always wondered why only the enemy's had this in ADOM.)
    WATER BALL,(just another ball spell, but again I thought this was something missing from ADOM.)
    Last edited by CloudKing; 12-04-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Wildlife,
    maybe you could come across some deer or something roaming around in the wilderness.(might be more common for rangers and give a better chance to leave corpses.)

another race suggestion.

an Illithid,(google it)
    would make a great mindcrafter.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudKing View Post
    ok some spells,

REACH,(cast on a (t)arget stack of items and they will magically jump into your pack. Range might start at 2 or 3 and then increase with spell level.)
    THROWN DARKNESS,(a darkness spell you can cast at a distance.)
    WATER BOLT,(i always wondered why only the enemy's had this in ADOM.)
    WATER BALL,(just another ball spell, but again I thought this was something missing from ADOM.)
    Generally good, but we wouldn't want magic-users to be too overpowered.

REACH (alternatively named PULL) - I'd like it to work somewhat different, pulling objects towards you physically rather than just having them jump into your pack. Using on a heavy item like a log, when a foe is between you and the item, could be interesting. On the flipside, I could see risks - using on a pile of items might make them hard to catch if you don't have particularly high dexterity, and using on a heavy item could result in either knocking yourself out (if Dexterity is too low) or crushing yourself (if Strength is too low). Using on fragile items would have a high risk of problems.

Note the possibility of using this with an archer, shooting and REACHing heavy projectiles. On the flipside, if the foe manages to dodge it, you'd want to also dodge it, otherwise, you'll collect yourself.

THROWN DARKNESS - I like it, but it seems like it would be just a little too overpowered, unless it was *highly* limited in radius, or perhaps turned into a "ball" spell, and thus requiring a clear shot at the place you're trying to throw darkness at.

WATER BALL/BOLT - This has so many possible twists to make it interesting. For instance, how about Water Ball creating a temporary water source, so the water doesn't just disappear like fire or electricity would (and thus would likely also require the ability to swim, if not breathe water)? Meanwhile, they would be useful spells for farmers wanting to water crops.

Now for a few of my own:

ILLUMINATE - Basically can be used to turn a being into a walking light source. Main use would actually be to illuminate an otherwise-invisible foe, making them glow and thus be visible even through their source of invisibility. It would wear off, of course. Also note that this could be used by a magic-casting foe with see-invisible to make you (when otherwise invisible) visible to underlings, for instance.

PUSH - Use this spell to force a targeted creature backwards, unless they have some means to prevent it or lack substance to push. Other than providing you with a way to put distance between you and a foe, you could also fling one foe into another, or into a wall, door, trap, or encroaching liquid (like lava). A similar ability should be available to shield-users against foes in adjacent spaces without need of magic.

MEGA DRAIN - Named after the Pokemon move, since it still makes sense to someone who doesn't know Pokemon. Allows you to sap HP from a target. A few caveats: Using this spell corrupts and is an evil chaotic act. Using against undead, unlife, or infected beings (werecreatures, kobolds, slimes, etc) causes major problems depending on the target. Cannot be cast with HP (restricted to PP casting only, will fail if you lack sufficient PP).

STERILISE - Two uses for this spell: you can use it on a wound to prevent disease, or you can use it on anything that can reproduce or summon to prevent them from doing it... but it's a targeted spell, so you have to be able to see the target, and it's not much use against a large number of such beings.

I was chasing a scared kobold through a dungeon when he ran into a room which had an up stair, got backed into a corner and I killed him. Which got me thinking. if that were a "real" dungeon, instead of running into the corner of the room (certain death) he more likely would have ran up the stairs and continued to flee. the same goes for monsters chasing the PC. in a "real" dungeon the Ogre pursuing you would not suddenly become "frozen" in place and stop chasing just because you went up some stairs. I imagine the Ogre is left standing there thinking "DAMN STAIRS!! MY ONLY WEAKNESS!!". So my idea is this..If the levels above and below the PC are left "running" then it might make for a more realistic scenario where in which monsters and other NPCs could move freely from level to level. companions would also benefit from this.

what do you think?

a few more spell ideas,

*MIND SIGHT: cast on NPC to reveal everything in their line of sight for 2D10? turns
    *BLOOM:cast on herbs to blossom(expensive in PP)
    *HATE;cast on NPC to make all NPC's in sight hostile
    *MAGIC WALL:create magic wall that lasts 3D2? turns
    *CRUMPLE:all skeletons/gules in sight return to corpse form for 2D2? turns
    *BLOOD GIFT:cast on npc to recieve damage on their behalf for 2D10? turns
    *GATHER:ball spell that "gathers" (makes them jump into your pack) all items in adjacent squares.

some weapon prefix suffix ideas,

Suffixes,

*of grasping: cannot be disarmed
    *of Medusa: killing blow turns to stone
    *of training: occasionally adds an extra weapon skill mark
    *of devotion: gain peity on killing blow

Prefixes,

*necromantic: if a corpse is left it will be instantly raised as an undead (a goblin killed with this weapon will become a (hostile) goblin skeleton etc.)
    *magebane: drains PP
    *awkward: will not add to weapon skill marks when used
    *very awkward: will subtract from weapon skill marks when used
    *revealing: makes visible on successful blow